Drunk Driving Victim Sues Designated Driver

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
From the "New Frontiers Of Liability Department" in Boulder, Colorado: A lawyer for car-crash victim Doris Gray is suing not just the drunken driver whose vehicle hit her car but also the drunken driver's friend.
"It's a pretty unique circumstance," said Bill Babbich, the lawyer representing crash victim Doris Gray, a former postal worker. Her injuries have prevented her from returning to work.

In the Dec. 28, 2000, accident in Louisville, Jasmine Surratt, then 20, crashed her Toyota head-on into Gray's Saturn. Surratt's blood-alcohol level was more than four times the legal limit for driving, police reported. Gray suffered a shattered lower leg, chest injuries and a cut to her head.
Although none of the participants could think of any earlier cases in which persons have been held liable for shirking a designated-driver role, a former head of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association claims the new theory is "pretty solid".
The lawsuit is based largely on the idea of civil conspiracy which, under Colorado law, requires that two people agree on a plan to violate the law. (Full text here)
I don't see it, myself. :rolleyes:

:m: Peace.

In the Dec. 28, 2000, accident in Louisville, Jasmine Surratt, then 20, crashed her Toyota head-on into Gray's Saturn.
Hehe. Only in Louisville...

I don't see it either. People keep getting more and more retarded. I hate the fat people who are are suing McDonalds. Not only are they bringing their fat kids (yep, kids) into the legal arguments, but they might also get away with it. God I hate fat drunk drivers.:mad:

I don't think this will help the "designated driver" cause. If I could be held liable because something happened to the plans and I no longer drove, screw being a designated driver...

i agree goofy all tho the good thing about being a DD is the $1 softdrinks all night in clubs:D

Back