Experience of Emotion

Prince_James

Plutarch (Mickey's Dog)
Registered Senior Member
If emotions are caused by chemical reactions in the brain, why is it that certain emotions are experienced as if stemming from different parts of the body? For instance, heart break feels centred in one's chest, whereas nervousness feels centred in the stomach. If this is an experience in the brain, whyever do our bides body reporting that the problem is in a body part?

Oriental medicine has it that different attitudes (like emotions) are seated in different organs (although they define "organs" a little differently than the West): The 12 Organ Meridians & Emotions. I'm sure they don't consider these connections purely metaphysical!

On the other hand, it might simply be that the felt effects are merely symptomatic. Stress happen in brain, but stomach develops ulcer (Confucious say).

Jenyar:

Yes, I believe the Dalai Lama, owing to such conceptions, still considers the source of consciousness as likely near the naval, not in the brain.

If emotions are caused by chemical reactions in the brain, why is it that certain emotions are experienced as if stemming from different parts of the body? For instance, heart break feels centred in one's chest, whereas nervousness feels centred in the stomach. If this is an experience in the brain, whyever do our bides body reporting that the problem is in a body part?

Genetics. Different people experience their emotions differently.

I do not think that is substantiated by most cases, Time Traveller. The two examples I gave are commonly held to be the norm. Similarly, this does not address why such emotions are experienced as if stemming from there. Why should the brain report such sensations as stemming from a bodily source?

I've never viewed my heart break as though stemming from my chest, even though I have felt a feeling in my chest during "heart break". My brain will have an emotional response and a part of my body will have a subsequent reaction to the emotion.
The heart doesn't feel the emotion and then report it to the brain.

It's called an anxiety attack. We all get them if we are under stress. Breakups cause anxiety attacks, and sometimes suicides.

Yes, but -why- is it that a certain body part responds in such a way? Does anyone know the biochemical reasons for such?

No one is saying that emotions are strictly caused by chemical reactions in the brain, nor that there isn't a link between those causative reactions and where they are coming from. If someone steps on your toe, you certainly know where that pain came from! I also have heart brain from a broken heart and it is centered exactly where my heart is - on the upper, slightly left quadrant side of my upper torso (more near the middle). No doctor has ever told me different. The scientific term that is used to coordinate brain functions - and organs, tissues, and cells - with the physical body is called physiology.

I have a very severe nerve injury in my brachial plexus due to root avulsion to the C5-T1 nerves in my spinal chord. This is almost half of what Christopher Reeves had. No doctor has ever been able to explain it clearly except as being a "short circuit" in the neurons. The pain is real and intense. Personally, I think that it must be "psychosomatic," i.e., involving both the mind and body as there is definitely a positive correlation between anxiety and pain. Yet, psychologically, when I feel that I am not under any stress, but I reflect on my environment that there is still potential stress present, the pain is the same? Although I am in know way psychologically aware of it.

I have seen many doctors for this condition and many have just come right out and told me that, "We're never going to see a patient like you again." Interesting, aye?

Back