Favorite paintings:

Well, let me ask you this: Of what type of art, or more specifically painting, do you find most appealing?

Well, let me ask you this: Of what type of art, or more specifically painting, do you find most appealing?

Actually mainly realism, but I don't mind too much if the setting is followed fully. I don't know if that's a specific style or not though.
So basically just highly detailed and realistic paintings, preferably of natural sceneries.
William Trost Richards, for example.

Edit:
And my question earlier (post 75) was about this sort of stuff:

VGCottages_at_Cordeville.jpg

It looks like something Tnerb would paint.

Last edited:
You don't care for van Gogh or any impressionism at all?

I think I understand why you would prefer and admire most realstic works. I love them for their detail and accuracy, not to mention the immense talent that it takes to make a painting look as real as a photograph, as certainly that must be a pinnacle of the art.

However, I enjoy things like the above simply for their dreaminess (if you will) and the perspective of things... almost in motion, its like.

And I get enough reality everyday in life and in art and photography|film and in being a somewhat of a realist.
Bring on the dreamscapes....

You don't care for van Gogh or any impressionism at all?

I think I understand why you would prefer and admire most realstic works. I love them for their detail and accuracy, not to mention the immense talent that it takes to make a painting look as real as a photograph, as certainly that must be a pinnacle of the art.

However, I enjoy things like the above simply for their dreaminess (if you will) and the perspective of things... almost in motion, its like.

And I get enough reality everyday in life and in art and photography|film and in being a somewhat of a realist.
Bring on the dreamscapes....
It comes across as inability to paint it realistically.

Perhaps. I'm not arguing that. In all likelihood that was "the best" van Gogh could have done....

But van Gogh understood color in a way that I think a realistic painter wouldn't.

And who's to say what imperfection or perfection is or isn't? It's ultimately for the viewer to decide, I suppose.

I take it you've never read any of the letters he wrote to his brother Theo?

Perhaps. I'm not arguing that. In all likelihood that was "the best" van Gogh could have done....

But van Gogh understood color in a way that I think a realistic painter wouldn't.

And who's to say what imperfection or perfection is or isn't? It's ultimately for the viewer to decide, I suppose.

I take it you've never read any of the letters he wrote to his brother Theo?

Well, I never brought up perfection though.
Also, I'm not interested in the human behind the art. I just appreciate the pretty pictures and the craftsmanship ;)

Magritte is a fave, one of his I like the most:

I also love a bit of Banksy's brand of humour:

Both of those are cool, although I have to say I like the latter more.

The reflection in the first is amazing.

The weirdest art I've ever seen is by Yves Tanguy...from whom Dali once said he had stolen most of his style:

1444128093_61d36df0b8.jpg

I actually have a rather old painting, it's 200 years old and is a genuine De La Wantini! The bad news is De La Wantini was a plumber.

Back