Film/Movie Recommendations

Just watched the following movie and enjoyed it very much.

Wall Street
1987 R 125 minutes

Enterprising stockbroker Bud Fox falls under the enticing spell of Gordon Gekko, an unscrupulous Wall Street arbitrageur. But when Gekko embroils his protégé in an insider-trading scheme, Fox develops a conscience and decides to turn the tables.

Cast: Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen, Daryl Hannah, more...

Trooper
I like intense. That clip kind of leaves you hanging as to whether or not he shoots the kid. As most people will be putting themselves into the roll of the sniper, if it was me I would have shot the kid.

If your talking about Pacific Rim, it is available on Netflix if you order DVD's I don't do the streaming video because they don't have the same number of movie selections that you can get on DVD's.

There's the problem, then. We stream Netflix through our Roku.

My wife and I watched Lucy a couple of days ago. It was like a cross between The Fifth Element and The Lawnmower Man, except that Scarlett Johansson is hotter than Jeff Daniels.

Good to know Cowboy, Netflix is releasing the Lucy DVD on 2/10/15. So it looks like you get a bit of a jump on me by streaming. I may want to start streaming as I am very tired of the Post Office screw ups. I lose money every time my deliveries are delayed or the DVD's are cracked.

I just installed a new high speed wireless router and Sony Blu-ray player that's connected to the Internet through the router. I plan to do a test when I have a few hours to work with it.

What I'm thinking now is the Netflix streaming service only cost about half as much as my current DVD service. So I could sign up for 2 streaming services for about the same price I'm paying now. So if you know what would be a good complementary service to the Netflix please let me know. I'm looking for the greatest number of movie selections after the year 2000. Not really into old titles very much.

Just watched the following movie and I liked it very much.

Fury
2014 R 134 minutes

During the waning days of World War II in Europe, U.S. Army Sgt. Wardaddy leads his tank crew against overwhelming German forces. As both sides prepare for a last bloody battle, Wardaddy embarks on a mission behind enemy lines.

Cast: Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, more...

I just watched the latest Equalizer movie and Denzel was great and I will look forward to watching it again. I included a write up because it hits close to the mark.

The Equalizer
2014 R 132 minutes

In this action-thriller based on the hit 1980s TV series, former intelligence operative Robert McCall comes out of retirement to help a young prostitute, only to end up in the Russian Mafia's crosshairs.

Cast: Denzel Washington, Chloë Grace Moretz, Melissa Leo

Extremely everything you think it will be; extremely violent, extremely clique, extremely predictably ......BUT extremely AWESOME! We loved it! I have noticed that the critics either love it of hate it and I agree that is how it will be with most people. So here goes my opinion. I think in places The Equilizer seems a bit slow at the beginning (better said, it is methodical), but when it takes off it is like a rocket. Make no mistakes this is a extremely violent, vulgar language revenge film . For those who care there is no nudity just a few racy pictures. To say too much about the plot would give too many spoilers. So I'll just put it this way...If the movie "TAKEN" and the comic "The Punisher" had a child it would be The Equilizer.

Saw "47 Ronin" last night.
For a Keeanu Reeves film it isn't actually too bad. He doesn't exactly flex that wooden style/inability of his, and he only slightly detracts from the overall feel of the film.

Basically it is a re-telling of the true story of some Ronin taking revenge for the death of their lord.
Keeanu's character is crowbarred in, presumably as a reason to give the film a $150m budget or so.
It is typically fantastical, but not massively so, and on the whole it was enjoyable if as predictable as Titanic, given that it is based on a true story.

However, being a fan of Chinese and Japanese historical epics (even the ones embellished with fantasy elements) this one just seemed oddly out of place by having everyone speak in English, even though Reeves was really the only native English speaker. It would have felt so much more real and grounded if they spoke Japanese, and if Reeves' character (if needed) also spoke Japanese. But I guess they were looking to market it to the US mainstream, so went with the English version.

A less fantastical and grittier version would have been better, IMO, but it wasn't a bad film by any means.
6-7/10, depending on mood.

If you are in to Japanese Samurai films then I can recommend:
"Twilight Samurai" - a beautiful and understated film, quite slow but engrossing nonetheless.
"Hara Kiri" - Takashi Miike's 2011 remake - another relatively slow film with a final pay-off of note, but again beautifully told.
"Zatoichi" - Takeshi Kitano wrote, directed and starred in this 2003 remake. Cliched but well told.
"13 Assassins" - another Takashi Miike film - great climactic battle, and just hugely watchable, although again slow to begin with (if I recall).

And one that really was enjoyable is "Rurouni Kenishin" (2012) - about a skilled fighter who hangs up his sword after a war is over, but gets dragged back into using his skills. Cliched stuff, as ever, but fun and well worth watching.

Plenty of Chinese epics, such as "Mulan", "Red Cliff (1+2)", "Warlords" and so on.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this movie and Simon Baker was better in this movie than he is in his series "The Mentalist"

Sex and Death 101
2007 R 117 minutes

Womanizing tycoon Roderick Blank (Simon Baker) finds his world turned topsy-turvy when he receives a prescient email message about his sex life from an unknown sender in this satiric comedy helmed by Daniel Waters. Axing his wedding plans to look into the communiqué, which seems to contain the names of all the women he's ever bedded -- or ever will -- he embarks on an odyssey of seduction that ends with the last woman on the list (Winona Ryder).

Cast: Simon Baker, Winona Ryder, Leslie Bibb,

Just finished watching this movie and I can tell you this is going to be my favorite movie of the year.

Lucy
2014 R 89 minutes

In this action-thriller set in Taiwan, a young woman forced to become a drug mule for the mob develops superhuman abilities when the narcotics she's carrying in her stomach accidentally leak into her system.

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Amr Waked

Good write up below
Lucy: "Learning is always a painful process." I'm guessing, based on the reviews and the ratings that this movie is not for everyone; but it struck me as breathtaking and original...one of Luc Besson's better offerings; and quite possible the best actioner of 2014. After saying that, I have to admit it would not be as good a movie without Scarlett Johansson. She has developed into one of the better actresses of this era; and has the versatility to play any role well...especially the action heroine role she plays in this film. She also has developed a fine deadpan comic delivery, exemplified by the opening quote...in the scene, she has just immobilized the chief villain, Mr. Jang (Min-sik Choi) with two knives through his hands, when she deadpans the quote. Drug Lord, Mr Jang, forced her to become a drug mule for a powerful new synthetic drug. Surgically implanted in her colon, it is released when she is kicked in the stomach by one of her captors. Lucy undergoes unimaginable changes that gradually unlock her mind's full potential. She receives help from Professor Norman (played by the ubiquitous, Morgan Freeman) the leading authority on the human mind; and police captain, Pierre del Rio (Amr Waked). Lucy turns into a merciless warrior, intent on revenge against her captors and a compassionate scholar, intent on sharing the vast knowledge and wisdom the new drug has opened to her. In addition to Besson's direction, look for some breathtaking CGI special effects and cinematography of the first order. Make your own judgement, but for me this is one of the best movies of the year...so far!

This is an amazing plot that will surprise you more than once. The average ratings weren't that high, but I liked it very much because I've watched thousands of movies and any movie that surprises me like this one did will get 5 stars from me.

Predestination
2015 R 97 minutes

Average of 1378 ratings: 3.6 stars

Dispatched on a mission intended to alter the fabric of history, a temporal agent from a remote reality travels through time to prevent a criminal madman from carrying out a devastating attack on New York City.

Cast: Ethan Hawke, Noah Taylor, Sarah Snook

I liked this comment
The story is based on Robert Heinlein's short story ‘All You Zombies’. The Spirig brothers have outdone themselves with this one. I was amazed at how makeup could make Sarah Snook look anything but georgeous. I could wax on about cinematography, effects, directing but suffice it to say as a lifetime Sci-Fi and Heinlein nut I enjoyed it. I hate predictable moves but this plot spins your head around. It kept me grinning.

Thanks for sharing .
If you're into a good revenge movie, I just watched one.

The Man Who Came Back
2008 R 112 mins
Average rating: 4.2

After standing up for the rights of black workers during a labor dispute in the post-Civil War South, Reese Paxton (Eric Braeden) finds himself framed for murder by a corrupt landowner (James Patrick Stuart) and forced to watch as his family is attacked. Paxton goes to prison, where he comes up with a dangerous escape plan and sets out to seek revenge on the men who destroyed his family. Armand Assante and Sean Young co-star.

Cast: Eric Braeden, Billy Zane, Sean Young

The following is a write up that is very close to hitting the mark.

This is a bizarre movie; particularly in tone. It really has a bit of and Identity crisis. The movie is uneven. By that I mean it is a race drama at one moment then exploitation then prison then revenge western. These are drastic changes in pace and direction. BUT I enjoyed it. The Man Who Came Back will NOT appeal to everyone. It is very racially charged! The only thing more heated than the Racism is the Sexism. The movie gets off to a slow Start. I was completely bored at the beginning since I expected a Western Style revenge flick here. After a period of stupid people making bad choices a man is falsely accused of murder (as a scapegoat for the real perpetrators). On his way to prison he witnesses his son being killed and his wife brutally raped and then murdered. This is not for views who don't want to stomach some HORRIBLE situations and violent scenes. It is VERY hard to watch. The movie then becomes a Prison movie for a period. Then the unstoppable anger-fueled killing machine gets free to seek vengeance on all those involved. It is NOT a happy film but if you like the violent shoot'em ups and have the range in viewing tastes wide enough to enjoy the multiple genres this movie overlaps into, then you may also enjoy this uneven Western Revenge flick. Hope this is Helpful!

Just started watching a new series on Netflix and after the first 4 of 13 1st season episodes and I am giving it a 5 star rating.

The 100
2014 NR 2 seasons

Earth has been devastated by a nuclear apocalypse, with the only survivors being the inhabitants of 12 international space stations. Three generations later, 100 young prisoners return to the planet to determine whether it's habitable.

Cast: Eliza Taylor, Henry Ian Cusick, Paige Turco, Kelly Hu, Isaiah Washington, Marie Avgeropoulos, Thomas McDonell, Eli Goree, Christopher Larkin, Bob Morley
Genre: TV Action & Adventure, TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy, TV Dramas, Television

Marco Polo is in my DVD queue, however I signed up for their Internet watch instantly service now and am on my free month. On my selected queue they mark the ones that are available to watch instantly. I counted them and they only came to about 1/4th or less than my total selections. But if I drop the DVD service I will save about $25 per month. This would allow me to sign up for a 2nd online service. I don't know much about all the other services out there and would like some recommendations that could fill the gap in selections that are not offered by the Netflix streaming service. One person I know uses and likes Amazon Prime that offers free shipping and streaming movie selections. I probably only order about a half dozen times per year from Amazon.com but free is free and I might like to order more often. I am considering that, but some other opinions would be nice.

Just watched the following movie and if you like dragons and sorcery you will probably like watching this one. As you can see by the average rating it's not the best in this category.

Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse
2014 PG-13 97 mins

Average of 849 ratings: 3.3 stars

When young squire Gareth goes in search of a fallen comet, he believes it holds gold that he can use to pay for his knighthood. Instead of finding a comet, Gareth finds the dragon Drago has fallen to earth and is being hunted by an evil sorcerer. After Drago saves Gareth's life, the two become intricately bonded and they must work together to defeat the sorcerer and stop his reign of terror. Along the way, Gareth learns the true meaning of being a knight.

Cast: Julian Morris, Tamzin Merchant, Jassa Ahluwalia

Dragonheart was good for what it was; the sequel was typical straight-to-DVD 'B'-movie. I can only imagine that the second sequel continues the downward trend, and it won't be on my wish-list any time soon.

Films I have seen recently:
"Nothing But The Truth" - The lovely Kate Beckinsale, and Matt Dillon, in a drama about a journalist unwilling to give up the name of her source... inspired by a true story. Great acting and interesting story, but Kate Beckinsale had difficulty looking bedraggled and run-down as a prisoner, as even without make-up she is lovely... but that may just be me. ;)
7/10 - well acted, but don't expect explosions.

"The Raid 2" - sequel to a great Indonesian action flick with a quite charismatic and innocent-looking lead, and with great action scenes. Good plot - cop goes undercover to take down a crime-boss from the inside... mayhem ensues.
8/10 - great action, good enough story and acting.

"The Veteran" - a typically British low-budget drama/action film about an Afghan vet coming back to London and helping sort out some undesirables... with some surprisingly solid names in cameos. Well acted, good story, but... well... without giving too much away... this sure isn't Hollywood. :)
7/10 if you can get past the relatively low-budget nature.

"After Earth" - Hmmm... was dubious about this before I watched it. Still dubious after having seen it. It's cliched. It's not particularly well acted. It's basically just Will Smith funding Jaden Smith's audition for action films... and it's surprising he got past the audition stage for his own audition! Even Will Smith looks bored and acting by numbers.
But... in its favour is a solid production. It looks okay. Sounds good. And passes the time. 5.5/10 - maybe 6/10 with a prevailing wind.

Back