Forget religion for a moment and ask yourself this question.

Bruce Wayne

Registered Senior Member
This thread is not really meant as a discussion or for anyone to prove he is right. I would instead like that we all share this as humans indifferent of our creeds.

The question is rather "simple":

What do you expect after death? How do you think you will you experience death?

Fairly simple, I would say.

This question is meant for everyone, christian, atheist, believer in gaia ..etc.

I feel death will be like a very shot sleep. Then the resurrection, first resurrection hopefully.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

What do you expect after death?
Nothing, even if i was religious i wouldnt 'expect' anything, it wouldnt be my choice after all.
How do you think you will you experience death?
I dont know, and im never going to pretend i do know.

I expect nothing after death.

No idea how I will experience death. What do you mean when you say experience death?

Bruce,

Death is the end of life so by definition there cannot be anything after the end, and in that sense your question does not make sense.

Webster - Death: 1 : a permanent cessation of all vital functions : the end of life.

What you really expect of course are speculations about souls/spirits or reincarnation, or other similar concepts.

For any type of afterlife to be possible a human would require some type of essence that can survive beyond the end of all its vital bodily functions, including loss of a brain, which leads to; loss of memory, loss of the ability to think, loss of the ability to experience emotions, etc, all of which are maintained by a functioning brain that is now dead. What then could we say about the properties of this surviving essence that would be of value?

The first question must be where the hell is it? Once the physical body is gone how could this imaginary essence continue to survive? It cannot be physical since that part is dead, but we have no reference material that defines immaterial objects, how they can exist or where they exist.

But without memory this essence would not know what it is or who it is. Effectively what was “you” no longer exists, everything that was “you” was encased in the neural patterns of your now dead brain, patterns that had taken a lifetime to construct, from the time inside the womb until the moment of death. Once those patterns start to decay then you start to disappear forever.

The problem I see with an immaterial essence that survives death is that without memory or other brain functions and without any recognizable physical existence it is indistinguishable to anything we care to describe that does not exist.

So to answer your question – death means the cessation of existence and hence there cannot be anything beyond death.

However, if the patterns in your brain at the moment of death could be extracted and stored in some type of databank , or perhaps just put on ice for a while, then perhaps science and technology could reconstruct you later in a new body, perhaps even a robot-like body. But without your brain patterns you are nothing.

Kat

Last edited:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain. Time to die."

That pretty much sums it up for me. Well, except for the attack ships and the glittering thingies...

Bruce Wayne said:
The question is rather "simple":

Fairly simple, I would say.

This question is meant for everyone, christian, atheist, believer in gaia ..etc.

I don't expect anything -- and I don't find this frightening.

I expect the world to go on as it did before I was born.

I wont experience death. But I might experience dying. It will likely hurt and be sad.

Hopefully I'll be able to look into my family's loving eyes and feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment and pride.

What do you expect after death?
I'm an explorer at heart. I look at death as a grand surprise, with excitement. But that's most likely a long way off, and I have many years in which to explore this world I'm in. It'll happen when it happens. I'm convinced that there's more to us than a bunch of amino acids swimming around in our heads. If not, I won't care.

Katazia said:
Bruce,

Death is the end of life so by definition there cannot be anything after the end, and in that sense your question does not make sense.

Webster - Death: 1 : a permanent cessation of all vital functions : the end of life.

You must see the shortcomings of the first sentence, don't you?

Behind it is, as you stated, the assumption that there is no experience without the life that you defined. First of all, I, for instance, don't accept Webster's definition in broad terms. Second of all, even our natural knowledge does not come near claiming to ever be able to understand the brain's functioning.

Third you seem not to believe in any surviving essence but others do, so the question does make sense.

:m:

Last edited:
Bruce Wayne,

An excellent, albeit personal question.
To be honest i don't expect anything, but i cannot imagine not being conscious and aware in some way or other. My closest experience to death i suppose is sleep, and although i may not be who i percieve myself to be while awake, in sleep, I am still aware and thus to my knowledge, conscious.

Jan Ardena.

No one experiences death, since unconciousness happens first, but I already know what it will be like. Death is exactly like before you were born. As far as the events leading up to it, I wouldn't make a big deal, it just does not seem sad. I'd like to make my own memorial, though, something out of limestone perhaps.

After death, i will remove the virtual reality gear and get out of the lab and go home pondering over the wierd experience in a virtual world called earth. :confused: :eek: :D

to be serious, no idea on what happens after death. i would prefer oblivion personally.

Bruce,

You must see the shortcomings of the first sentence, don't you?
That death means the end? Well, frankly, no. That is what death means.

Behind it is, as you stated, the assumption that there is no experience without the life that you defined.
Are you talking here about memory?

First of all, I, for instance, don't accept Webster's definition in broad terms.
The definition is perfectly fine. The real issue here is that you want to define death to mean something entirely different. Perhaps you should have begun with how you perceive death or how you want it defined.

Second of all, even our natural knowledge does not come near claiming to ever be able to understand the brain's functioning.
You sound like the people who defined the atom as the basic particle that could never be split any further. Well we have split it and are still splitting. You are on very dangerous ground when you try to state that science can NEVER do something when the history of science shows that science is continually discovering things once thought impossible.

I also have the impression that you see the brain as some infinite mystical black box beyond the comprehension of the human mind, but really the brain is a finite mesh of cells that connect together in a fairly simple manner but which create a complex network. The best parallel is with the internet. If you think of each neuron as a simple computer which communicates with other computers then you can see how the internet is very similar. Now does anyone fully understand the internet? It is now quite complex but we know how it works and to a large extent we know how the brain works but we haven’t yet deciphered a great deal of the complex network. I don’t see any real obstacles to what is essentially a reverse engineering project that is going to take some time.

We certainly know enough t be able to connect a video camera to the visual cortex at the back of the brain and allow the blind to see, although the images are fuzzy, it shows we are making significant progress.

What reason do you have to suggest that the brain will always be beyond our comprehension?

Third you seem not to believe in any surviving essence but others do, so the question does make sense.
Or that others have the same irrational perception as you that the END doesn’t mean the end. But of course I know what you mean, and the phrase ‘after death’ is common place, but my point here is that it doesn’t make sense regardless of how many use the phrase. If somehow “you” don’t die when your body dies, then you are not dead. The only way you can survive dying is not to die. And after-death means there was no death.

Kat

SkippingStones said:
I'm an explorer at heart. I look at death as a grand surprise, with excitement. But that's most likely a long way off, and I have many years in which to explore this world I'm in. It'll happen when it happens. I'm convinced that there's more to us than a bunch of amino acids swimming around in our heads. If not, I won't care.
you truly are a sheltered kid, the surprise is you wont know you dead. because you'll be just that dead, there's nothing after.
enjoy what you have, and make every moment last, there's no second chance.

Back