? Ghost on truck dashcam

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Michael 345, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"William Church, a truck driver who reportedly drove down Arizona State Route 87 on Saturday, March 11, noticed a bright glare in his dashcam, and he thinks the flashing figure could be a ghost..." ​

So he never directly observed a "spectral figure" on the side of the road himself, just saw it later on the recording, or maybe looked at the dashcam's screen at the time of the event? The environment according to the mediating camera?

Master Po: "Know this, grasshopper, that (sans deepfake AI) an optical instrument lacks the capacity to lie or hallucinate."

Caine: "But master, can not a device's mere shortcomings yield grainy images, spurious reflections, pixelized glitches, and other contingent imperfections that facilitate the human and its motivated reasoning to interpret the data in a mistaken way?"
    _

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    DaveC426913 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Looks like the ghost of a child to me. Not an exactly promising prospect for an enjoyable afterlife..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Looks like a reflection in the windshield of the sign on the side of the road to me.

billvon likes this.
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A reflection from the other side of the windshield? How does that work?

9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I'm with gmilam; the first thing you see in the still image is the light reflecting off a sign to the right, off the road some. It scatters off the truck's windscreen. It's a photographic effect, lenses and all that.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The figure is occluded by the structure extending from the front of the truck while the sign is still there (frame 25-26). Hence it can't be a glare or artifact in the windshield. It is actually there outside of the truck..It is also still lit up when the sign goes dim.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

No, "the figure" has the same shape as the sign, and it lines up with it.
    It's just light from the headlights bouncing off the sign. The camera is better at picking up the image coming through the windscreen.

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Virtual images can have a displaced quality of appearing to be located in the environment itself behind the medium that is reflecting the light (see video below).

The truck window is acting a bit like a mirror reflection-wise, but still retaining its transparency, while also moving, etc (several combined factors which makes things more complicated in terms of optical relationships, and multiplying a virtual object).

I feel the immediate or nearer "sign" seemingly floating in the air (latter indicated if the video is slowed down) is actually a reflection itself or displaced virtual image of the real sign (or whatever) glowing much further down the road. Accompanied by a secondary or weaker virtual image (the "ghost") that seems to be standing on the side of the road.

If the video is stopped on the last frame before the "ghost" disappears, it can be seen that it has a rectangular shape at a skewered angle and the fuzziness below doesn't really conform to legs.

Probably can't rule out the location of the dashcam even contributing slightly to the tangled mess of optical relationships.

LINK: Virtual image | Geometric optics

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023