Great Books!!!

Hevene

Registered Senior Member
I have been posting a few posts but really what I have been doing is going over some of the concepts I've read in a few really good books and I want to share it with others. Some might have read them already, some might not. And feel free to add in any other good books, so our understanding of God can expand.

My list:
Conversations with God, 1, 2, 3
The New Revalations
Friendship with God
Communion with God
All by Neale Donald Walsch.
They not only offer insights about religions, discussing different views on organised religion, but also world problems created by religions and many things that could change your life.
(They shouldn't be hard to find, a bestseller, on the US number one list for 134 weeks in a row)

Commentaries on Living by J. Krishnamurti
The Gospel According to Jesus by Stephen Mitchell
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu translated by Stphen Mitchell
The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts
The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain translated by Red Pine
Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna

God's Debris: A Thought Experiment
Scott Adams, September 2001

The Bible Code
Michael Drosnin, March 1998

Life and Teaching of the Far East Masters
Baird T. Spalding

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking up to Personal & Global Transformation
Thomas C. Hartmann

Two books by Huston Smith I recommend for those interested in comparative religion/religious history. They are "Why Religion Matters: The Fate of the Human Spirit in an Age of Disbelief" which will trouble (piss off) many of the secular sci-heads here but if you find yourself on the spiritual side of things it might go over well and the other book I recommend by Smith is "The World's Religions", which examines both the beauty and the beast of religion and humankind and contains a tour of seven of the world's most popular religious traditions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.

I also recommend Elanie Pagel's "Beyond Belief" even though I haven't completed the whole book yet. It's a fascinating look at the Secret Gospel of Thomas, contrasted against that of the book of John and the other gospels of the modern Bible. If you've ever wondered how some books got in the Bible and others didn't, or have heard of "NagHammadi" and "The Gnostics" but would like to learn more, this might be a book for you.

"When Skeptics Ask" by Norman Geisler.
"When Critics Ask " by the Same Author.(don't have it b/c the catalog was out of stock)

Skeptics is a general answering to most objections of those skeptical of Christianity
Critics talks about Bible difficulties(you guys call em contradictions)

Most any Systematic Theology does a great job also.

Back