Having fun is not trolling

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Syzygys, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

As I attempted to educate the ignorant on the values of the death penalty in a sort of debate form, not surprisingly, I got banned for a week for trolling (and insulting others). Interestingly, I don't even show up on the ban list, I take it, I was privately banned, if there is such a thing.

Had it been done by any other moderator than Tiassa, I would have accepted it alright, but interestingly, the same thing happened about 3 years ago, on the same topic by the same moderator. I guess by default I have won the debate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Once could be an accident, twice, I see a pattern.

Now let's not argue on the morality of both debating AND moderating the same issue/thread and just have a look what trolling is (Wikipedia):

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Now of course, I haven't done such a thing. Was I having fun? Sure. When I can't really take seriously the opponents because they are intellectually dishonest or simply just ignorant, I either have to cry or since I like to make lemonade out of a lemon, and have some fun.

Unlike a troll, I always answered all arguments and the bad guy I am, I even acknowledged if the other side have a point. (It didn't happen often.)

Anyway, since anti-DP people are basicly treat the topic as a quasi-religion, I feel like an atheist debating believers. There is really no point in doing so...

I don't even address the insulting part, because the forum should be able to handle light language and at the very least, I would expect similar treatment of both sides (insulting me is apparently OK, but I can take it.)

So since I don't like crybabies, just wanted to give a honest feedback, I guess I will stop taking the forum seriously altogether, and if me having fun will end in a permanent ban, I don't want to belong in this club anyway...

P.S.: I guess the first question in any debate should be: Are you willing to change your position if sufficient data/argument have been provided? If the answer is no (as with most religious people) then there is no point of debating...

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Often it is. Many people have fun angering other people and getting lots of responses to their posts. It is quite popular on forums such as this.

Then you have a personal issue with one of the moderators. That's fine - but it's your problem, not anyone else's.

Poking fun at someone to get an angry response because you think they are ignorant, and wish to have fun at their expense, is an excellent example of trolling.

Trolls do that too. For example, a troll who wants to get people going on a Jewish families forum might post "the Holocaust never happened!" and then answer all their arguments with statements from holocaust denier websites. Merely answering arguments does not make someone a non-troll.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neverfly Banned Banned

Syzygys, two minor points.

One is, you did show up in the Ban list. I don't know if temp bans (suspensions) are removed when the ban is expired or not... But it appears to be so in the case of all the recent ones, including WillNever's.

The second is that you had made a comment that was suggestive as to certain former presidents possible fate.

Now, politically, everyone has the right to disagree with a presidents actions and policies.

However, when discussion turns toward contemplation of a future, or lack of, of said president, there's a problem. You stopped just shy of saying something that could get you into a lot of trouble with the feds, frankly.

That "ban" may have saved your ass, and saved the forum from unnecessary scrutiny.

The very poor judgment you showed stands in your wording.

Now let me be clear; I have no intention of debating that with you here, nor any desire to tolerate a sense of 'rightness' on your part on that issue. Under no circumstances, whatsoever, is commentary of presidential mortality ever warranted. You took things too far- I've done it myself in my time (Not about a president)- and there are consequences for such that you got off light with. Your time would be more productively spent contemplating that, instead of defending it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

You’re trolling in the very first sentence of your little hissy fit hubris-laden whine fest.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Something about doors not hitting you on the way out springs to mind.

8. Bells Staff Member

So you are not surprised your behaviour resulted in a ban?

In other words, you knew your behaviour was bad in that thread.

Your name disappears from the list when the temporary ban wears off.

I would say he has the full support of everyone with the ban he implemented on you.

We could look at your approach to the subject matter itself and your conduct in that thread, couldn't we?

After all, you decided to "educate the ignorant on the values of the death penalty", you then decided to troll your own thread with meaningless drivel and insults, not to mention posting images of people being tortured while praising those who adopt such measures and then of course we have the manner in which you found killing innocent people funny, amusing and well, good and acceptable. In fact, you even said you were just having fun while trying to get a rise out of people. That is classic trolling. In fact, you even accepted you were a troll in that thread when you requested you not be fed.

And when the opponent disregards all of the arguments of the opposition because he wants to "have fun" laughing about innocent people being put to death and getting off on it, that is trolling. The fact that you even accepted you were trolling when you requested you not be fed as a troll kind of puts your attempt to show your innocence here to shame.

Is that what you call it?

I beg to differ. So did just about everyone else participating in that thread.

If you feel that way, then do not do so.

Or to put it politely, do not do so in the way you did in that thread.

Well considering you started the thread on the premise of an insult (educating the ignorant), don't you think it's a bit of a stretch?

Considering the amount of times you insulted and denigrated others in that thread, usually without provocation. You'll excuse me if I don't cry you a river.

I defer to my colleagues response to this statement. I think he put it best..

I think that is a question you need to ask yourself.

Tiassa made a valid point, which you seemed to miss:

Advocacy of human atrocity probably isn't the best way to make your point.

Probably because you were too busy gloating over said human atrocity as the way 'the pros do it'.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Did anyone actually participate in that stupid thread? When he came out in the first or second post and asserted categorically that all arguments against the DP were wrong and stupid there wasn't any real point in continuing. Its funny he mentions "religion" considering that's how he was acting, "all your answers are wrong now tell me what they are so i can dismiss them as wrong"

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

What a pathetically whiny troll.

If you're going to go around acting like a jerk to amuse yourself, at least take the consequent ban like a man. Who do you think you're going to fool with all this self-serving nonsense?

Anyway, you can clearly see that you've already alienated most posters here, so I'd suggest you save everyone the trouble and just stop posting here. The thing about burning bridges is that it leaves you stuck on the other side.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — Closure

Mod Hat — Closure

A brief note of advice to the topic poster: First of all, when you specifically draw a moderator's attention to an issue, there is a chance that the moderator will act on that issue. Secondly, when the issue you're complaining about is a response to your own provocation, you might also expect the moderator to notice that. And, lastly, when your complaint about problematic behavior results in consequences that include you, do not complain about the consequences; and if you absolutely must complain, do so honestly.

Easy enough?

Apparently not.

Figure it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.