I talk with God

RoyLennigan

Registered Senior Member
I talk with God every day of my life
First I must listen, because knowledge always begins with listening.
I listen to the wind blow across my ears--I hear its raggedly fluctuating oscillations as they are affected by the shape of my ear.

I hear the leaves blown to and fro, the branches creaking under age-old pressure; the kinds of pressure that have been here millions of times the length of my miniscule life--if life is what it can be called.

Listening does not only include just sound, but touch, smell, taste, and sight as well:

I feel the central Floridian sand give way under my feet, that sand which was once at the bottom of the ocean, evidenced by the shark teeth I recently found in a nearby creek.

I smell the musty, thick ozone brought down from the upper altitudes by the recent thunderstorm--those pieces of O3 which rode the lightning down to earth. The air is thick with oxygen, nitrogen and water vapor, flooding my lungs and making me feel as if I am partly underwater.

I can almost taste the chemicals, that strange similarity of taste/smell between tongue and nose as I feel the chemicals carried on the wind reach both my sensual chemical detectors.

I feel warm rays heating up my back as the humidity, receding from nearly 100%, allows electrical energy to pass more readily through the fluid air. I feel the sun revealed by departing clouds as my skin heats up and a red glow brightens over my closed eyelids.

I open my eyes and the first thing i notice is the brilliant yellow lighting up the deep green tree line. The tops of the pines and oaks--like masts of a great ship of nature--wave back and forth as great gusts of wind push a monumental cumulus mountain across the sky. I see the cloud is dark, but waning after leaving most of its water here.

I listen and God tells me that everything is a cause of something just as every cause is an effect. He does not use words, he is too powerful, too intelligent to use mere words. He knows that words are deceiving and that the only truth is what we can see and touch and smell and hear and taste. So he uses these things to talk to us.

And so, after listening, I talk back.

I ask him in my thoughts, why do birds fly south for the winter?
it was the first thought that crossed my mind, maybe not the most monumental thing to ask god, but I did nonetheless.

And no answer came. Time passed and still no answer came. I looked to the sky, I looked to the ground. Time progressed still and finally I heard birds calling from above. looking up I saw them flocking south, from as far away as Maine and Canada. But why?. And a chill wind blew from behind me, from the north. A few dead leaves fell and winter flashed through my mind. God had answered me.

So I ask him another question. why is the sky blue?
this one, I knew instinctively, was quite harder, though the difficulty was not in God answering it, but in God finding a way to show me the answer. Again I had to wait. After waiting an even longer period than before I noticed a blue jay fluttering around in the grass. it would fly up to a tree branch, then dive down to the ground and begin to dig till it came up with a worm, then it would fly back to some hidden nest. it made me think. This bird does not wait for answers from God, it knows, instinctively, that the answers are already present and must be sought out personally. So I took the advice from the bird (which may as well have been advice straight from God, it didn’t matter) and I set out to find the answer to my question; an answer which God had put somewhere in this world (for every available question, there must also be an answer, that is how the world works). I figured the best place to find an answer would be where I could see as much of the sky as possible. So I went to the beach. It was morning when I arrived and the sky was cloudless, a brilliantly deep blue, stretching a spectrum from azure baby blue around the horizon to dark navy blue above me. The sun of course turned that navy blue to white as the rays distorted colors. I found all of this very curious and somehow important to the answer of my question. Why, for one, should the sky be a different color near the horizon than it is straight over head? I watched the sun go over me and sink towards the western horizon, the side over the water of the gulf. As it did I noticed how as the sun set, the colors deepened to paler shades of blue until it began to turn brown and then a brighter orange. Very curious indeed. where once there had been navy blue above me, there now was a deep purple that faded into the dark navy blue behind me, on the opposite horizon from the setting sun. So there was still blue in the sky, but why? I put my hand down in the sand and jolted it back up again quickly with pain. Looking down i saw that I had cut it on a piece of glass buried in the beach. I pulled it out, looking at it and was about to throw in away when it caught at just the right angle in the light and sent a rainbow of color onto the sand. Beautiful, I thought. It was then that i realized something. It was as if two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle had snapped together in my mind. The white light of the sun was still shining down to me and the glass shard and when I held the glass up to it I could see the light fragmenting into these separate colors. I looked up at the colors in the sky and saw a visual analogy. God had answered my question, but now I had to make sense of it. Studying the colors made through the glass i found blue and saw that it was near the end of the spectrum, followed only by a deep violet color--the same color I was now seeing directly above my head in the clouds. I began to laugh when I realized the answer. The light in the sun held many different frequencies and when they traveled through a medium other than a vacuum--such as the gases in our atmosphere or the glass shard in my hand--those frequencies traveled at different speeds. So the earth's atmosphere acted exactly like the piece of glass; it caused the light to be spread out and since the atmosphere was so big, the other colors just bounced off particles in the air, leaving only the blue part of the spectrum to hit the earth. As the sun set--as the angle of the rays coming to earth changed--the spectrum also moved with it and the colors reaching earth through the atmosphere moved through the spectrum.

I have found, by listening to others (something you must always do) that everyone has a different definition of God. God must transcend the individuals' definition of him, but how? Through our use of language, we are able to imagine entities and ideas that are not real--in fact every thought we have is of something completely made up in our minds. It only loosely relates to the reality around us. Our direct experience and memories are the only definition we have of God, and it is something that cannot be told to another person; it is something we each have to find on our own.

God is time, time is change, change is diversity, diversity is chaos. God is entropy, entropy brings all to chaos and diversity eventually. God is space, space is the inherent energy of the universe, an energy that can't be tracked down but can be theoretically measured, an energy that determines--through probability--the outcome of every minute event in this universe.

illuminatingtherapy said:
Nice one, Roy! :) You're a contemplating kind of person.

(Q) said:
Once again, damn fine post, Roy!

thanks, i'm always trying to find relationships between things. i figured that god exists, but our problem with finding him is that we don't know what god is or what his presence or connection with the universe is :D

its better to just experience because at least then you know that God/nature is talking to you and not just your interpretation of words. when you read its your past talking to you, not another person.

Theoryofrelativity said:
so you do believe in Roys God then? So you're not atheist.
lol, i think when you start questioning definitions, words like atheist and theist just become downright silly :p

RoyLennigan said:
lol, i think when you start questioning definitions, words like atheist and theist just become downright silly :p

I agree, but the point is a simple one, with regards to Q, I mention the fact I believe in a 'God' but do make it clear my definition of 'God' is not consistant with any religious God. Q tells me I am religious, immediately insults me by telling me to get on my knees and pray. I tell him I have no religion, have no religious background, do not see God as a deity and DO NOT presume to know anything about God at all. Akin to what you have said but not so flowery and eloquent, I kept it brief as it was not the point of the thread. The insults came thick and fast from Q.

Now you say the same thing but elaborate and he is in full agreement, now this is after he has informed me that as an atheist ANY concept of God makes you religious and NO way does ANY atehist have any 'need' for a 'God', awareness of a 'God' .........you must have read his posts?

It is VERY amusing VERY much so.

Your 'God' is acceptable to Q, by 'Q's definition that makes him religious (not by mine) by his!

What makes this post so great, isn't the notion of God being involved, but the silent, quiet, calm, contemplating wisdom expressed in words. I love it. IMO, one of the best posts on this forum.

Theoryofrelativity said:
Now you say the same thing but elaborate and he is in full agreement, now this is after he has informed me that as an atheist ANY concept of God makes you religious and NO way does ANY atehist have any 'need' for a 'God', awareness of a 'God' .........you must have read his posts?

It is VERY amusing VERY much so.

Your 'God' is acceptable to Q, by 'Q's definition that makes him religious (not by mine) by his!

All you've managed to do is to provide more evidence to that fact that you're unable to understand what it is you're reading.

So, please enlighten us all as to how it is possible that one can acknowledge a well written post to imply the admittance to a belief in a god?

You truly are a complete idiot.

illuminatingtherapy said:
What makes this post so great, isn't the notion of God being involved, but the silent, quiet, calm, contemplating wisdom expressed in words. I love it. IMO, one of the best posts on this forum.

If you want to experience this answers thing try this, it always works for me.

Ask the question over and over repeatedly for 10mins...then wait and the answer will come. I have no explanation, Roys will do ;)

I myself think this may happen because we all share the same consciousness and someone somewhere knows the answer and some sort of mediatative process allows you to tap into that resource...googling on the minds web if you like :)

(Q) said:
You truly are a complete idiot.

So much anger... :(

There is a discussion in some thread here about atheists becoming born again Christians. I actually know a couple of people who went from the extreme position of thinking religious people are complete idiots, to the opposite and equally extreme position of believing they have become special in the eyes of God. I have also known two or three people who experienced the same radical change in the opposite direction, from religious fanaticism to ferocious atheism.

I guess some people just have trouble balancing their emotions.

Confutatis said:

There is a discussion in some thread here about atheists becoming born again Christians. I actually know a couple of people who went from the extreme position of thinking religious people are complete idiots, to the opposite and equally extreme position of believing they have become special in the eyes of God. I have also known two or three people who experienced the same radical change in the opposite direction, from religious fanaticism to ferocious atheism.

hahahahaha I like it! :)

Confutatis said:
So much anger...

No, frustation in trying to deal with an idiot. Big difference.

While others have trouble using their brains.

Admit it Q you are a raging theist, hell bent on converting everyone to atheism so you alone can get into heaven and have a one to one with the big man......Admit it!

Confutatis said:
I actually know a couple of people who went from the extreme position of thinking religious people are complete idiots, to the opposite and equally extreme position of believing they have become special in the eyes of God.

Uh-huh, sure you do. The anonymity of the internet forum is a wonderful thing.

RoyLennigan said:
I talk with God every day of my life
First I must listen, because knowledge always begins with listening.

I listen to the wind blow across my ears--I hear its raggedly fluctuating oscillations as they are affected by the shape of my ear.

I hear the leaves blown to and fro, the branches creaking under age-old pressure; the kinds of pressure that have been here millions of times the length of my miniscule life--if life is what it can be called.

Listening does not only include just sound, but touch, smell, taste, and sight as well:

I feel the central Floridian sand give way under my feet, that sand which was once at the bottom of the ocean, evidenced by the shark teeth I recently found in a nearby creek.

I smell the musty, thick ozone brought down from the upper altitudes by the recent thunderstorm--those pieces of O3 which rode the lightning down to earth. The air is thick with oxygen, nitrogen and water vapor, flooding my lungs and making me feel as if I am partly underwater.

I can almost taste the chemicals, that strange similarity of taste/smell between tongue and nose as I feel the chemicals carried on the wind reach both my sensual chemical detectors.

I feel warm rays heating up my back as the humidity, receding from nearly 100%, allows electrical energy to pass more readily through the fluid air. I feel the sun revealed by departing clouds as my skin heats up and a red glow brightens over my closed eyelids.

I open my eyes and the first thing i notice is the brilliant yellow lighting up the deep green tree line. The tops of the pines and oaks--like masts of a great ship of nature--wave back and forth as great gusts of wind push a monumental cumulus mountain across the sky. I see the cloud is dark, but waning after leaving most of its water here.

I listen and God tells me that everything is a cause of something just as every cause is an effect. He does not use words, he is too powerful, too intelligent to use mere words. He knows that words are deceiving and that the only truth is what we can see and touch and smell and hear and taste. So he uses these things to talk to us.

And so, after listening, I talk back.

I ask him in my thoughts, why do birds fly south for the winter? it was the first thought that crossed my mind, maybe not the most monumental thing to ask god, but I did nonetheless.

And no answer came. Time passed and still no answer came. I looked to the sky, I looked to the ground. Time progressed still and finally I heard birds calling from above. looking up I saw them flocking south, from as far away as Maine and Canada. But why?. And a chill wind blew from behind me, from the north. A few dead leaves fell and winter flashed through my mind. God had answered me.

So I ask him another question. why is the sky blue?
this one, I knew instinctively, was quite harder, though the difficulty was not in God answering it, but in God finding a way to show me the answer. Again I had to wait. After waiting an even longer period than before I noticed a blue jay fluttering around in the grass. it would fly up to a tree branch, then dive down to the ground and begin to dig till it came up with a worm, then it would fly back to some hidden nest. it made me think. This bird does not wait for answers from God, it knows, instinctively, that the answers are already present and must be sought out personally. So I took the advice from the bird (which may as well have been advice straight from God, it didn’t matter) and I set out to find the answer to my question; an answer which God had put somewhere in this world (for every available question, there must also be an answer, that is how the world works). I figured the best place to find an answer would be where I could see as much of the sky as possible. So I went to the beach. It was morning when I arrived and the sky was cloudless, a brilliantly deep blue, stretching a spectrum from azure baby blue around the horizon to dark navy blue above me. The sun of course turned that navy blue to white as the rays distorted colors. I found all of this very curious and somehow important to the answer of my question. Why, for one, should the sky be a different color near the horizon than it is straight over head? I watched the sun go over me and sink towards the western horizon, the side over the water of the gulf. As it did I noticed how as the sun set, the colors deepened to paler shades of blue until it began to turn brown and then a brighter orange. Very curious indeed. where once there had been navy blue above me, there now was a deep purple that faded into the dark navy blue behind me, on the opposite horizon from the setting sun. So there was still blue in the sky, but why? I put my hand down in the sand and jolted it back up again quickly with pain. Looking down i saw that I had cut it on a piece of glass buried in the beach. I pulled it out, looking at it and was about to throw in away when it caught at just the right angle in the light and sent a rainbow of color onto the sand. Beautiful, I thought. It was then that i realized something. It was as if two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle had snapped together in my mind. The white light of the sun was still shining down to me and the glass shard and when I held the glass up to it I could see the light fragmenting into these separate colors. I looked up at the colors in the sky and saw a visual analogy. God had answered my question, but now I had to make sense of it. Studying the colors made through the glass i found blue and saw that it was near the end of the spectrum, followed only by a deep violet color--the same color I was now seeing directly above my head in the clouds. I began to laugh when I realized the answer. The light in the sun held many different frequencies and when they traveled through a medium other than a vacuum--such as the gases in our atmosphere or the glass shard in my hand--those frequencies traveled at different speeds. So the earth's atmosphere acted exactly like the piece of glass; it caused the light to be spread out and since the atmosphere was so big, the other colors just bounced off particles in the air, leaving only the blue part of the spectrum to hit the earth. As the sun set--as the angle of the rays coming to earth changed--the spectrum also moved with it and the colors reaching earth through the atmosphere moved through the spectrum.

I have found, by listening to others (something you must always do) that everyone has a different definition of God. God must transcend the individuals' definition of him, but how? Through our use of language, we are able to imagine entities and ideas that are not real--in fact every thought we have is of something completely made up in our minds. It only loosely relates to the reality around us. Our direct experience and memories are the only definition we have of God, and it is something that cannot be told to another person; it is something we each have to find on our own.

God is time, time is change, change is diversity, diversity is chaos. God is entropy, entropy brings all to chaos and diversity eventually. God is space, space is the inherent energy of the universe, an energy that can't be tracked down but can be theoretically measured, an energy that determines--through probability--the outcome of every minute event in this universe.

M*W: Although drippingly poetic, why don't you just call it what it is and forego the melodrama and metaphor?

Confutatis said:

M*W: Atheists reverting back to christianity is almost unheard of, but there are still those weak, emotional types who are afraid of their own skin. A zealot christian often becomes a vocal atheist. In my case, I went from zealous christian to agnostic to atheist to anti-theist. I couldn't be happier.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: Atheists reverting back to christianity is almost unheard of, but there are still those weak, emotional types who are afraid of their own skin. A zealot christian often becomes a vocal atheist. In my case, I went from zealous christian to agnostic to atheist to anti-theist. I couldn't be happier.

you just like being 'extreme' then, the nature of your extremity is clearly irrelevant.

He does not use words, he is too powerful, too intelligent to use mere words.

I disagree with this bit. If this "he" is that intelligent, he will realise that words don't lower his intelligence, but allow him to communicate with us in a way that human intelligence allows.

I would ask that you justify how using words would somehow makes a god less intelligent or less powerful.

Back