'Ichi the Killer'

Xev

Registered Senior Member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

This a horrible, gory film that makes the baby Jesus cry.
I am impressed.

The film succeeds not only as splatter, but as comedy and as intellectual fare. The latter is appropriately subtle, but effective. It's not a film that makes one think, but a film that unsettles one's thoughts.

Worth watching just for Tadanobu Asano.

it was one of my favourite films for a while,"you want me to because you dont want me to"....some pretty fucked up stuff in there.,.watched it for the second time with people who were determined to not like it."that would never happen" etc.much frustration.the very end was quite confusing.

I watched it with ingrates who bitched about the subtitles and didn't realize how cool the Kurosawa reference was. Kakihara has some great lines, especially in the scene with Karen.

"Just a little torture"

I found the plot a bit hard to follow, but the end was clear enough.

I actually bought it because the people on Amazon reviews were discussing the "there is no love in your violence" line - the idea that there is compassion in Kakihara's cruelty. That's present in the film, but I was pretty disappointed by how little they treated it.

Perhaps the translation from Japanese to English hurts it.

i havent seen it in ages but the bit at the very end where the guy is hanging from a tree and the group of kids who committed the raping ichi "witnessed" walks by confused me,maybe ive remembered it wrong.
i liked kakihara as a character,very pragmatic and oddly likeable.thought the opening sequence was amazing,apprently they used real cum for that.......
havent watched any kurosawa that im aware of,apart from the seven samurai?
where is a good place to start?

'Sanjuro' and 'Yojimbo'

The reference (the policeman who lost his gun) is to Stray Dog.

I have not seen it in some years, but it is very good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041699/

All have Akira Kurosawa.

The guy hanging from a tree is Jiiji. The 'rape' never occured, those are just regular children.

Xev said:
'Sanjuro' and 'Yojimbo'

The reference (the policeman who lost his gun) is to Stray Dog.

I have not seen it in some years, but it is very good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041699/

All have Akira Kurosawa.

The guy hanging from a tree is Jiiji. The 'rape' never occured, those are just regular children.

yeah i got that the rape never occured.,will have to re-watch the film,cant remeber who jiiji is or significance at the moment.yojimbo is the one that for a fistful of dollars was based on isnt it?

If you think Itchi is a strong film, dear boy, check out a French flick by the name of 'Baise Moi'.
It'll blow your mind.
And then watch 'Irreversible', another offering from the Frogs (but this one has Monica Belluci in it). The nightclub 'fight' scene is the most brutal thing I have ever seen on film that wasn't real.

Hope to have been of help!

Charmed...

heard baise moi was a bit gratuitous,saw irreversible and really "liked" it a lot,dont think i could watch it again though.the bit with the fire extinguisher is appalling,i couldnt figure out how it was done which made it worse.www.imdb.com has some cool stuff about that film,like the constant background noise is at the frequency which induces nausea.quite glad i didnt see it in the cinema.

Xev, you may want to check out Shohei Imamura's "The Ballad of Narayama".

I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

(If you've already seen it, just forget this post.)

Which version did you see? The R version or the unrated one? I went out looking around for it on the net and found an uncut bit torrent of it at last. I'm in the middle of watching it right now.

Kakihara just apologized and I now see his character as the eternal optimist. "The human body regenerates itself. If I keep talking it'll get better." Ok. Sure thing, Kakihara. I believe you. The cup is half full. Riiiight.

By the way, the guy that pointed me towards the torrent also recommended Visitor Q and The Happiness of the Katakuris. Both from the same director, Takashi Miike.

Alright. Finished.

It's not a film that makes one think, but a film that unsettles one's thoughts.

I don't know if I'd go that far. It does unsettle one's thoughts somewhat, but I think it does make one think. Made me think, anyway.

It seems to center about motivation.

We have Ichi. This odd, manipulated character. Convinced by some strange puppet-master hypnotist that he was bullied as a child and leads him around by the nose utilizing his inborn killer instincts for his own benefit (whatever that benefit may be...)
Ichi doesn't like to kill. Ichi doesn't want to kill. Ichi kills in an apologetic and shameful manner. He cries as he kills. He cries before he kills. He cries after he kills. He is full of feelings of shame and worthlessness and it is through manipulation of these [/i]dead[/i] emotions that he lashes out. And regrets it immediately.

It would be nice to have some more of Ichi's backstory. We know he killed his parents and it was after this that Jiji got ahold of him and began manipulating his mind. We know he has an older brother. We know that he gets off at the thought of causing pain.

All in all, Ichi is a weak and ineffectual person. He only wins in the end because he's so pathetic. His worthlessness is his shield.

Next. We have Kakihara. A joyous killer. A sadist. Yet also a masochist. He loves his boss because his boss caused him such wonderful pain. Now that his boss is gone there is no one to hurt him any longer and for this he must have vengeance. I have a tough time deciding which Kakihara is more of. Sadist or masochist. I think masochist. Otherwise he would have advanced beyond the death of his boss.

Kakihara is a lesson in the joy of life. Where Ichi is dead inside, Kakihara lives. He does not cause pain to cause pain but rather to enjoy the act of causing pain. It is in this way that he shows compassion to his partner. Definitely makes sense. Which is the sicker killer? The one who obsesses over the victim's pain or one's own pleasure?

I think that towards the end his character degenerates. He shows himself to not be so much a liver as a 'wanna be'. He is jaded and empty inside. He exults in the fear that Ichi is inspiring in him. And hopes that he doesn't let him down in the end. Kakihara becomes a petty generation x-er who wants to be entertained.

Kinda sad, really.

Then we have Jiji. The mastermind. And we have no idea about his motivation. What does he have against Kakihara? That it is a grudge against Kakihara in particular is clearly shown by saving him for last. But why? It's not money. He had money at the start when the boss was killed.

And... a body-builder? That part was just kinda freaky. You can so tell that the actor is a scrawny little fuck and then they make him a body-builder and he breaks all the bones in that one guy's body? Ha!

And a hypnotist to boot.

The brothers. What an interesting pair. "Not even Big Brother Jiro could kill someone like that..." Ha! "Do you think that it's possible to pull someone's arm right off their body?" Ha! And what's the deal with smelling that whore's crotch and being able to track down the pimp because of it? Why did the ears bring back memories to Kakihara? Inside Japanese joke, I should imagine.

And the younger brother so disappointed that he wouldn't be able to kill his brother Jiro someday...
Motivations...

Who else? The cop that lost his gun. What the hell was up with the scene where he bought Ichi noodles? Makes no sense. Why was Ichi getting beat up? He was short on money? He needed to borrow money? Bullshit. Must have been more manipulation somehow.

Who else? The whore that pretended to be Takibana or whatever her name was. What the fuck did she think was going to happen? Stupid bitch. (Just had a thought. Maybe Jiji hypnotized her into it...)

Anyway. I could cut everyone down to motivations if I wanted, but it really centers around the three main characters. Ichi. Kakihara. Jiji. Mostly the former two as Jiji has no apparent motives.

I found the plot a bit hard to follow, but the end was clear enough.

I'd say that most of the plot was pretty plain. The end however.... How did Jiji end up in the tree? Did he kill himself because his plan was finished and he had nothing more to do? Did Ichi kill him because he somehow got past his hypnotic manipulations? Wtf?

By the way, I was surprised when the kid got it at the end. I half thought that Ichi might eventually get up. They'd said something about how he would cry and cry and then eventually snap. But, I never thought he'd do it. Should have done something humorous with the head.

nexus:

I watched the 'uncut director's edition'

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Fine, it unsettled my tummy. Especially after several Sapporo, alcohol makes me sensitive.

We have Ichi. This odd, manipulated character.

Familiar with Freud? Ichi has learned to project his desire to harm onto others - he wants to rape the girl in his implanted memory, he wants to be a 'bully', he wants to kill, but he 'represses' that. He pushes all of those things onto the others.

I have a tough time deciding which Kakihara is more of. Sadist or masochist. I think masochist. Otherwise he would have advanced beyond the death of his boss.

Christ, why do you people here all think alike? It's from all that inter-net-fucking I swear.

Kakihara is a true masochist. He appreciates the aesthetics of pain, not just some stupid psycho-sexual fantasy (wheras a sadist is all about the psycho-drama aspect of it) (compared to Ichi)

That's why Kakihara is so feared. There's nothing he won't do to himself, thus there is nothing he won't do to others. But it's also why he has to die.

That's part of what makes this film so great and got me pissed off at my buddies 'cause they wouldn't get it.

Miike's skilled at portraying this sort of character. See 'Audition' - I won't spoil the ending, but it's a different take on the phenomena.

And what's the deal with smelling that whore's crotch and being able to track down the pimp because of it?

He had sex with her, thus he can track the guy down from the smell of his come.

Quit calling women 'whores', you sound like a nigger.
Frustrated because gendanken isn't being nice to you or something?
Not the gender's fault. Try growing some balls.

Who else? The cop that lost his gun. What the hell was up with the scene where he bought Ichi noodles? Makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense, he helps the guy out, talks to him, buys him noodles.

Ichi was being beaten up because he 'barfed all over one of our girls' and had no money to pay the hooker.

Who else? The whore that pretended to be Takibana or whatever her name was.

That was Karen. Kakihara rejected her because she was a poseur. She wasn't capable of cruelty on her own, but she wanted to vicariously take part in it. So she tried to seduce Ichi and be his woman. But she was weak and had to die.

Last edited:
Xev,

Fine, it unsettled my tummy. Especially after several Sapporo, alcohol makes me sensitive.

Oh. There were unsettling scenes, to be sure, but what I meant was that this was not the only way it makes you think. It was a study in disparity between humans. How people can, on the outside, actually seem siimilar but on the inside be completely different.

Mostly the difference lies in Kakihara and Ichi as I've noted. Both are killers. And yet they kill hor completely different reasons.

Take note of the first murder. The murder of the boss. The cronies wait out in the van. They talk about how they don't even really do anything nowadays except clean up after Ichi. Then they go inside and their are intestines and blood everywhere. What kind of a monster did this? is the thought that comes to mind. At this moment he is the quintessential killer. Mysterious and open. Only later when you see that he is a whining little sot do you realize what kind of killer would do that. You can almost hear the echoes of his tears as he cut the boss down to size.

Poor Ichi. So downtrodden.

But, when the movie begins on a proper course and you are introduced to Kakihara, now you see what it is that you paid to see. A killer. A stereotypical loose cannon. In love with pain and violence. You can't help but imagine Ichi in terms of this Kakihara.

And then. When you meet him. It's almost a disappointment.

Familiar with Freud? Ichi has learned to project his desire to harm onto others - he wants to rape the girl in his implanted memory, he wants to be a 'bully', he wants to kill, but he 'represses' that. He pushes all of those things onto the others.

Exactly. He kills with his weakness.
And Jiji is his psychotherapist? Reminds me of Cabal. Somewhat.

Christ, why do you people here all think alike? It's from all that inter-net-fucking I swear.

We are one. Join us.

Kakihara is a true masochist. He appreciates the aesthetics of pain, not just some stupid psycho-sexual fantasy (wheras a sadist is all about the psycho-drama aspect of it) (compared to Ichi)

That's why Kakihara is so feared. There's nothing he won't do to himself, thus there is nothing he won't do to others. But it's also why he has to die.

Exactly. But, I don't know if I'd call him a true masochist as he also likes inflicting pain on others. He enjoys it.

See. This is the heart of the matter between Ichi and Kakihara, isn't it? Ichi is in great pain when he kills. Kakihara is enjoying it immensely. Shouldn't a true masochist be one who will take the punishment on all levels? Neither Ichi nor Kakihara are pure sadist or masochist. Ichi suffers too much to be a true sadist and Kakihara enjoys it too much to be a true masochist. Maybe if they were cut in half and sewn together they could somehow be made into two pure people. Sadist. Masochist.

He had sex with her, thus he can track the guy down from the smell of his come.

Yeah. I got that, just thought it was kinda stupid. Like I said, it's probably an inside Japanese joke of some sort. Demonism or maybe a Saturday Morning Cum-sniffing cartoon for the kiddies.

That part and the part where he suddenly knows that his brother is dead were disappointments to me. They were the only moments of... I was going to say spiritualism, but that's not right... supernatural? No... Not... real. There were some farfetched things in the movie, sure, but these two things forced a suspension of disbelief that was too far. I wasn't prepared to do so. It made the tenuous threads of plot shake and threaten to come crashing down.

I find it somewhat interesting that the brothers were enmeshed in both elements of the mystical moments. I have the feeling that there is a layer of symbolism at work that we, as westerners, are just not seeing.

Quit calling women 'whores', you sound like a nigger.

She was a whore, wasn't she? You prefer prostitute then? Whatever, tomatoes... tomahtoes. Same fuckin' thing.

Ichi was being beaten up because he 'barfed all over one of our girls' and had no money to pay the hooker.

Ahh. Must have missed that line. I thought he was getting beat up by loan sharks...
(So, you prefer them to be called hookers instead of whores then? Is this less distasteful to you? Why?)

That was Karen. Kakihara rejected her because she was a poseur. She wasn't capable of cruelty on her own, but she wanted to vicariously take part in it. So she tried to seduce Ichi and be his woman. But she was weak and had to die.

Ah. Ok. I knew that she was the guy with Kakihara earlier. The one that slipped back and forth between english and Japanese but I didn't realize that she was the same one who was yanking on that guys cheek and later disappointed Kakihara by not putting her all into her beating.

Tell me. Which scene unsettled you more. The one where the hooker was being punched in the face by her pimp or the one where the hooker had her nipples cut off?

The thing is that both of those scenes were later turned comical. The first when Ichi tells her not to worry and that he'll beat her up from now on. Then she freaks out on him and tries to take a baseball bat to him (funny that she'd never use that bat on her pimp) and then he slices her throat and the comical moment where the blood is spraying from her neck and she looks so bewildered by it all. Fucking hilarious.

And the second when Jiro decided to try his experiment on ripping off arms. Hmm. I guess that was later... Well, I guess it got funny when the failed cop started beating on her after the rest left to get the pimp. Reminds me of that scene in Fargo where Buscemi comes in and the woman is dead. He asks his partner wtf and he looks around and says, "Meh. She started screaming and stuff." (Heh. Which brings to mind the next scene where the guy decides to kill Buscemi with his axe but on the way out the door he's putting on his Elmer Fudd hat. Don't know why I find that so comical...)

I've looked for Audition. No luck. I have found several other Takashi Miike films online, but not that particular one. Maybe I'll find it eventually. Probably will.

The Happiness of the Katakuris seems interesting. It's a musical. Musical hack and slash.

poster8zv.jpg

Here's a review: http://www.theoneliner.com/film120.html

invert nexus:
Oh. There were unsettling scenes, to be sure, but what I meant was that this was not the only way it makes you think. It was a study in disparity between humans. How people can, on the outside, actually seem siimilar but on the inside be completely different.

Of course, that's what makes splatter so fun.

Mostly the difference lies in Kakihara and Ichi as I've noted. Both are killers. And yet they kill hor completely different reasons.

At the heart of it...not completely different reasons. They kill because they enjoy it. It's just that Kakihara is at peace with enjoying it and Ichi is not.

There's also the contrast of dress. Kakihara is always fashionably dressed, flamboyant and meticulous. Even his cheeks are sliced to allow him to blow smoke out. It becomes the contrast of style - Kakihara is exacting, whether he's being strictly polite or whether he's torturing someone. Ichi is a snivelling wreck who barfs on hookers, bumps into people, and slashes indiscriminately.

*Points to avatar*

The East Pacific Asiatic cultures have this thing about creating small, perfect things. Like sushi, or gift-giving, or tea ceremonies. Kakihara has that precision and attention to detail - Ichi does not.

Take note of the first murder. The murder of the boss. The cronies wait out in the van. They talk about how they don't even really do anything nowadays except clean up after Ichi. Then they go inside and their are intestines and blood everywhere. What kind of a monster did this? is the thought that comes to mind.

It is? Not to my mind.

"Gross as usual!"

And then. When you meet him. It's almost a disappointment.

Another theme - things not turning out as you expect.

"Who is this Ichi?"

He's a lunatic overwhelmed with guilt and lust and dirty feelings in general.

Exactly. He kills with his weakness.
And Jiji is his psychotherapist? Reminds me of Cabal. Somewhat.

Good book, okay movie. I think Clive Barker got all his gay drama-club buddies to be in it.

Exactly. But, I don't know if I'd call him a true masochist as he also likes inflicting pain on others. He enjoys it.

That is precisely why he is a true masochist.

See. This is the heart of the matter between Ichi and Kakihara, isn't it? Ichi is in great pain when he kills.

Nor does he enjoy hurting others. Death is near instantaneous for them. It suprises him.
Like Lenny almost.

Kakihara is enjoying it immensely.

Does Kakihara ever kill anyone by his own hand?

Shouldn't a true masochist be one who will take the punishment on all levels?

In what way does Kakihara fail this test?

Neither Ichi nor Kakihara are pure sadist or masochist.

Ichi doesn't hurt anyone. He kills them. Kakihara doesn't kill anyone. He hurts them.

I find it somewhat interesting that the brothers were enmeshed in both elements of the mystical moments. I have the feeling that there is a layer of symbolism at work that we, as westerners, are just not seeing.

I just shrugged it off. Miike doesn't force the plot to hang on it.

She was a whore, wasn't she? You prefer prostitute then? Whatever, tomatoes... tomahtoes. Same fuckin' thing.

I hate seeing people's psychologies. Watching the self-proclaimed nice chivalrous guy spill his truth all over is...distasteful to me.

Ah. Ok. I knew that she was the guy with Kakihara earlier. The one that slipped back and forth between english and Japanese but I didn't realize that she was the same one who was yanking on that guys cheek and later disappointed Kakihara by not putting her all into her beating.

Yeah, that's how she met Kakihara. She was the Boss' woman before he died.

Tell me. Which scene unsettled you more. The one where the hooker was being punched in the face by her pimp or the one where the hooker had her nipples cut off?

Neither, I was laughing too hard to be disturbed by the first and the second just made me cringe.
Most of the gore is hilarious. Especially with the face sliding down the wall...

I've looked for Audition. No luck. I have found several other Takashi Miike films online, but not that particular one. Maybe I'll find it eventually. Probably will.

Try video rental places. I bought Ichi for 16 USD, but Audition is retailing for around fifty.

A widowed man goes on a search for the perfect wife. Quiet, demure, submissive, eager to please. He tricks a bunch of women into a talent show of sorts, and one ballerina catches his eye. She seems to fit the bill, so he proposes to this delicate, feminine creature....who has some interesting ideas on how piano wire should be used.

It's another case of people "not grasping the essence of the other". It's also billed as social commentary, which I suppose it is - but it is soooo good.

The Happiness of the Katakuris seems interesting. It's a musical. Musical hack and slash.

Must rent.

Back