Intelligent design and Science

This is as cogent an argument against Intelligent Design as I have heard, given the restrictions of time allowed.
Questions for Atheists 1 Part B that can be located on the same page demonstrates the poverty of honesty and reason and the mendacity of ID followers by reinterpreting Dawkins's statement on the only way he could think of Intelligent Design. His explanation acknowledged the fundamental point that science has not yet revealed the process[es] of ABIOGENESIS but that he, and the vast majority of his scientific bretheren, are convinced that science will succeed in this.
Once again, ID adherents demonstrate how they are prepared to quote-mine, to take out of context and reinterpret statements that are susceptible to their cunning dishonesty.
Those who would fit their god into the picture are merely demonstrating a juvenile impatience with science. When science does demonstrate the legitimacy of ABIOGENESIS, will the ID-ers acknowledge their mendacity, their impatience, their enthusiasm for ignorance?
Oh, no...........not they!

OriginalBiggles, Prime

In science classrooms?

Hell no.

In philosophy/theology classes?

Hell yeah.

There is one exception to this. I believe the Anthropic Principle deserves a spot in science classrooms because there is a magnificient array of SCIENTIFIC evidence in favor. Someone mentioned abiogenesis, so I'll use that as an example. It is commonly taught in one of two ways:

1) Miller-Urey Experiments
2) Random chance

Unfortunately, neither of these explanations is anywhere near being scientifically valid. The problem with the former is that Miller-Urey experiments actually use both an inaccurate atmospheric composition, AND an improper scientific procedure. Furthermore, the second idea fails due to the sheer statistical impossibility of creating even the simplest life form from irreducibly complex parts (amino acids, say).

In philosophy/theology classes?

Hell yeah.

It's not philosophy.

There is one exception to this. I believe the Anthropic Principle deserves a spot in science classrooms because there is a magnificient array of SCIENTIFIC evidence in favor. Someone mentioned abiogenesis, so I'll use that as an example. It is commonly taught in one of two ways:

1) Miller-Urey Experiments
2) Random chance

Unfortunately, neither of these explanations is anywhere near being scientifically valid. The problem with the former is that Miller-Urey experiments actually use both an inaccurate atmospheric composition, AND an improper scientific procedure. Furthermore, the second idea fails due to the sheer statistical impossibility of creating even the simplest life form from irreducibly complex parts (amino acids, say).

We do not know what the odds are.

The odds of randomly assembling, say, a protein system from its constituient amino acids?

True.

We know it's impossibly unlikely, however. I could explain more in-depth, but I'm lazy, and, to be honest, you probably wouldn't understand all the particulars. Ask my professor, she did them up one time.

Just a rough estimate, however:

20 amino acids. Each protein needs at least 100 (being very, very generous, most have at least 400).

Then, a basic cell needs at least 200 proteins (again being very, very generous). So the odds of assembling 20000 amino acids in the correct configuration (ignoring left-right handed complications, folding, etc) is 10^-260,000. A VERY, VERY conservative Estimate.

Which, if you have any sense of scale, is equal to zero. Meaning Abiogenesis is not random.

fiicere,

Why are you assuming that life started with proteins?

It did. On earth at least.

Of course, if someone cares to correct me who has higher credentials than 2 semesters of MIT biology, please. I'm a physics major, not a biology major.

But if you're asking a broader question, "why must life be protein based?" I'll admit that there's no concrete reason it should. Proteins are the only known molecules with the complexity necessary for life, but there's no reason that there aren't others that we just haven't found yet.

The fact remains, however, that we DO know that there is one form of life which DID originate from proteins. Life on Earth.

I suppose though, that the point is the same regardless of where you started. Essentially, the biological anthropic principle relies on the idea of irreducable complexity: namely that atoms and small molecules are irreducably complex. There's a certain level of complexity necessary for life, and the problem is that that degree of complexity is orders of magnitude beyond anything random chance should give us.

Consider this Sentence. It has 23 characters. That means, if we were to randomly assemble it, we would have a 26^-23 chance of getting it right each time, or 10^32. But that's in english. What if we translated to, say chinese? Well, then we'd reduce the length of the sentence to probably 6 characters. But the chinese alphabet, because it abbreviates so much, has 50,000 (roughly) characters. so 50000^6 = 10^28. This makes sense because there are less "nonsense" arrangements in Chinese than in English. In English, a lot of combinations of 23 characters make no sense in that order, whereas in Chinese, there are fewer ways to make gibberish because you can't rearrange each word individually, only their combination.

Obviously, it wouldn't work out this nicely for all sentences, but the basic premise is the same. There are a (very) large number of named things in the universe, so to distinguish one from the other takes a (very) large degree of complexity in the sentence. And since 2 different sentences must be distinct, then at the very least we would have a number of possibilities equal to the number of possible sentences with that complexity. Namely, in an ideally simplified language, we'd have 1 combination per thought. You can't have less than that wihtout being unable to distinguish between 2 thoughts. So you'd need as many combinations of letters as there are possible thoughts, or a very large number.

Same thing for abiogenesis. The minimum life form has certain characteristics (reproduction, for example). That means there must be something in that life form to distinguish it from, say, a rock, which does not reproduce. That requires a certain degree of irreducable complexity.

Last edited:
john99,

obviously humans are the best known organisms at design.
Really? Name something complex man has designed outside of an evolutionary process.

Who, except the religious, ever said it was?

A lot of people. You'd be surprised.

It's quite irritating, really. Just like people who construe everything to mean what they want it to mean.

Except the religious? Hate to break it to you, the religious people are the last people on earth who will EVER claim creation is random.

It did. On earth at least.

You seem very sure on this point. Where did the proteins come from then, according to you? At what point does your scientific certainty end? And when it ends, why is it necessary to suddenly invoke God, instead of continuing to search for scientific explanations?

Essentially, the biological anthropic principle relies on the idea of irreducable complexity: namely that atoms and small molecules are irreducably complex.

I've only heard of the idea of irreducible complexity in the context of the discredited theory of intelligent design - a creationist front.

In what sense are "small molecules" irreducibly complex? Don't they reduce to atoms governed by the laws of chemistry?

There's a certain level of complexity necessary for life, and the problem is that that degree of complexity is orders of magnitude beyond anything random chance should give us.

What makes you think random chance is all that's involved? Atoms are not free to combine in just any old way at random, for instance. Their physics and chemistry restricts the number of combinations they readily form, the structures of the molecules formed from the atoms, and so on.

For example, try forming the compound oxy-chlorine, made up by combining oxygen and chlorine atoms to form molecules. It really doesn't matter how hard you try, you'll never get a stable oxy-chlorine molecule, because the chemical electronegativities of the atoms don't allow it. So, if you take a bunch of oxygen atoms, and some chlorine atoms and others, your not going to randomly start forming oxy-chlorine molecules. What will be formed instead are molecules that the laws of chemistry and physics favour. And there's no need for any active intelligence to be involved in that.

Same thing for abiogenesis. The minimum life form has certain characteristics (reproduction, for example). That means there must be something in that life form to distinguish it from, say, a rock, which does not reproduce. That requires a certain degree of irreducable complexity.

You'll have to convince me that the complexity you refer to is irreducible, I'm afraid. You haven't even defined that term yet.

You seem very sure on this point. Where did the proteins come from then, according to you? At what point does your scientific certainty end? And when it ends, why is it necessary to suddenly invoke God, instead of continuing to search for scientific explanations?

Good questions. So
1) I'm sure of this point because it's the foremost accepted SCIENTIFIC theory of today. Ask any biologist/chemist.
2) Proteins came from amino acids. Obviously. A protein is essentially a structure, think of a Lego structure, made of 20 kinds of different-shaped blocks (amino acids)
3) A very good question. I think you misunderstand me. I will continue to search for more explanations for as long as I am alive. But I don't think God is unscientific. He's inadmissable as a theory due to falsifiabiltiy issues, but his existence violates no physical law that I know of. At the moment, I cannot conceive of a purely scientific explanation for life due to it's minimum complexity requirement, they all fall drastically short. If there ever develops a scientific theory which I believe to have more evidence in favor than the existence of God, I will reconsider

I've only heard of the idea of irreducible complexity in the context of the discredited theory of intelligent design - a creationist front.

You say creationist front in such a... hostile way. Just because they're creationists doesn't mean they have NO viable arguments.

However, it's not actually a creationist term. The phrase "irreducable complexity" first appears in Darwin's Origin of Species. He writes "If any system can be shown to be irreducably complex, my whole theory will fall apart."

Since you appear to be unfamiliar with the definition, let me enlighten you. An irreducably complex object is one which cannot be created through evolution. Namely speaking, it is one which could not have evolved from anything simpler. Traditionally speaking, it's been used in the weak creationist argument that certain organs could not have evolved from anything simpler because those simpler things would have served no purpose. Like having half an eye is useless. But that's a stupid argument.

In what sense are "small molecules" irreducibly complex? Don't they reduce to atoms governed by the laws of chemistry?

IC doesn't mean that the molecule has no smaller parts. It means that the smaller parts don't DO anything. In this case, amino acids by themselves have no function unless they first interact with other amino acids.

What makes you think random chance is all that's involved? Atoms are not free to combine in just any old way at random, for instance. Their physics and chemistry restricts the number of combinations they readily form, the structures of the molecules formed from the atoms, and so on.

For example, try forming the compound oxy-chlorine, made up by combining oxygen and chlorine atoms to form molecules. It really doesn't matter how hard you try, you'll never get a stable oxy-chlorine molecule, because the chemical electronegativities of the atoms don't allow it. So, if you take a bunch of oxygen atoms, and some chlorine atoms and others, your not going to randomly start forming oxy-chlorine molecules. What will be formed instead are molecules that the laws of chemistry and physics favour. And there's no need for any active intelligence to be involved in that.

LOL. I wasn't going to talk about that, but the funny part is, I was giving you guys the benefit of my laziness on that one...

You see, amino acids more readily react with tons of molecules than they do with each other. That's another reason the Miller-Urey experiment was biased. Miller and Urey removed chemicals which would have reacted with the amino acids and rendered them inert. So you see, far from helping you, factoring in favorability of reaction actually HURTS you...

Furthermore, I was assuming that there were ONLY amino acids. (and that there were about 20,000x as many amino acids as there were atoms in the universe. AND that they were all in the same place to react together. See how nice I'm being?) Amino acids all bind together. Any pairing of the twenty with any other of the twenty is viable. Furthermore, the addition of non-viable molecules to the system only serves to dilute the mixture, allowing fewer amino acids to bind together due to proximity, and REDUCING the number of reactions. Since they're limited by proximity, if there are no open reactions, a molecule doesn't magically form an interaction with a far-off molecule. There is simply no reaction.

Let me put it like this James. I cannot think of ANY areas where I did not give you the benefit of the doubt. VASTLY More molecules than the number of atoms in the universe. ALL of them being in the same place. NONE of them being annulled by other chemical reactions. NO inert mixtures gumming up the works or diluting the mixture. NO protein folding to add to the complexity. One reaction EVERY microsecond for EVERY molecule in the system.

Far from cheating and sneaking a pawn or two off your side when you're not looking, I have actually probably given you an additional one of every piece. And you're still in checkmate.

But yes, the predominant scientific theory is that it wasn't random. The problem is, all the replacement theories are, shall we say, still taking baby steps. The currently most promising one lies in finding self-replicating molecules which are not actually in cell-form. The problem with this is what I just described; that scientists can't figure out how to stop their self-replicating chemicals from reacting with other by-products and ceasing to function. That and the fact that self-replicating molecules are still either far too complex, could not have been created on early earth, only in a lab, and don't closely resemble anything in any cells that we know of.

Last edited:

The odds of randomly assembling, say, a protein system from its constituient amino acids?

True.

We know it's impossibly unlikely, however. I could explain more in-depth, but I'm lazy, and, to be honest, you probably wouldn't understand all the particulars. Ask my professor, she did them up one time.

Just a rough estimate, however:

20 amino acids. Each protein needs at least 100 (being very, very generous, most have at least 400).

Then, a basic cell needs at least 200 proteins (again being very, very generous). So the odds of assembling 20000 amino acids in the correct configuration (ignoring left-right handed complications, folding, etc) is 10^-260,000. A VERY, VERY conservative Estimate.

Which, if you have any sense of scale, is equal to zero. Meaning Abiogenesis is not random.

You contradict yourself.
Nothing in that post or any of your posts up to this provides any support to the fantasy that we know what the odds are. We do not know. We might never know.

Except the religious? Hate to break it to you, the religious people are the last people on earth who will EVER claim creation is random.

I hate to break it to you butthe religious are the only people I ever hear the word random from in this context. Evolution is random, creation is random, blah, blah, blah.

I wish I could slap some sense into them.

You contradict yourself.
Nothing in that post or any of your posts up to this provides any support to the fantasy that we know what the odds are. We do not know. We might never know.

We don't know what the odds are of shooting a bullet from Earth and hitting a particular atom in Alpha Centurai's system, but we do know it's pretty freaking impossible.

At the least, however, I showed some (rather conservative) estimates on the kind of probabilities you'd need. You have only provided a vague statement "we can't know how likely it is," with no support or even an explanation of how that's relevant.

I hate to break it to you butthe religious are the only people I ever hear the word random from in this context. Evolution is random, creation is random, blah, blah, blah.

I wish I could slap some sense into them.

Ummmm:

1) creationists believe the universe was created (and therefore not random)

2) scientists believe it was ultimately random (continue reading before you say anything)

3) Knowing how improbable (impossible) a random formation of a cell is (even a primitive one), scientists are now looking at intermediate stages of self replicating molecules

4) None of the intermediate stages which have been proposed are even remotely viable, and they also fall prey to a weakness full cells do not: the reactions required to form them also produce by-products which render them inert.

fiicere:

But I don't think God is unscientific. He's inadmissable as a theory due to falsifiabiltiy issues, but his existence violates no physical law that I know of.

Personally, I would say "inadmissable as a theory" in science counts as "unscientific". I agree with your point about physical laws, excepting supposed miracles and the like.

At the moment, I cannot conceive of a purely scientific explanation for life due to it's minimum complexity requirement, they all fall drastically short. If there ever develops a scientific theory which I believe to have more evidence in favor than the existence of God, I will reconsider

Isn't your argument just an argument from ignorance? "I can't think how it happened, so I'll assume God did it."

What's your positive evidence that God did it?

You say creationist front in such a... hostile way. Just because they're creationists doesn't mean they have NO viable arguments.

Which creationist arguments do you think are viable? Can you give a few examples?

However, it's not actually a creationist term. The phrase "irreducable complexity" first appears in Darwin's Origin of Species. He writes "If any system can be shown to be irreducably complex, my whole theory will fall apart."

Since you appear to be unfamiliar with the definition, let me enlighten you. An irreducably complex object is one which cannot be created through evolution.

A lot of objects are not created through evolution - most of them, I'd say. So in that sense most things are irreducibly complex, by your definition. I suspect, however, that you're referring to forms of life that can't be created through evolution. I don't know of any of those. Do you?

Traditionally speaking, it's been used in the weak creationist argument that certain organs could not have evolved from anything simpler because those simpler things would have served no purpose. Like having half an eye is useless. But that's a stupid argument.

I agree.

IC doesn't mean that the molecule has no smaller parts. It means that the smaller parts don't DO anything. In this case, amino acids by themselves have no function unless they first interact with other amino acids.

You seem to be taking a teleological view of the process of evolution or abiogenesis - that is, assuming that these processes have an "end goal" in mind as they occur. For example, you assume that amino acids exist in order to have a "function" in proteins or whatever. If they don't have a clear function, you think, then what are they doing? Nothing useful. Nothing functional. So, we can probably just ignore any processes that might be going on, until some "function" comes along. Then, suddenly, we have a "functional", "irreducibly complex" thing. Never mind that the supposedly IC thing came about by processes that appeared to have no function at the time; let's assume from the start that such a thing could never occur. Because how could something functional arise from something with no function?

You see, amino acids more readily react with tons of molecules than they do with each other. That's another reason the Miller-Urey experiment was biased. Miller and Urey removed chemicals which would have reacted with the amino acids and rendered them inert.

I thought they tried to reproduce conditions that would have existed prior to the emergence of life, and put the chemicals in that would have been around then.

Let me put it like this James. I cannot think of ANY areas where I did not give you the benefit of the doubt. VASTLY More molecules than the number of atoms in the universe. ALL of them being in the same place. NONE of them being annulled by other chemical reactions. NO inert mixtures gumming up the works or diluting the mixture. NO protein folding to add to the complexity. One reaction EVERY microsecond for EVERY molecule in the system.

Far from cheating and sneaking a pawn or two off your side when you're not looking, I have actually probably given you an additional one of every piece. And you're still in checkmate.

I don't see how. You've just created millions and millions of possibilities for self-replicating molecules to arise, as far as I can see.

But yes, the predominant scientific theory is that it wasn't random. The problem is, all the replacement theories are, shall we say, still taking baby steps. The currently most promising one lies in finding self-replicating molecules which are not actually in cell-form. The problem with this is what I just described; that scientists can't figure out how to stop their self-replicating chemicals from reacting with other by-products and ceasing to function. That and the fact that self-replicating molecules are still either far too complex, could not have been created on early earth, only in a lab, and don't closely resemble anything in any cells that we know of.

I wouldn't expect the earliest life forms to look anything like the lifeforms that exist today. Would you? As life got more complex, a lot of the simplest lifeform precursors would have become food for the more complex forms.

In any case, I still don't see how the fact that we have an unsolved scientific problem means we default to a position of "God must have done it." Why is God the default?

We don't know what the odds are of shooting a bullet from Earth and hitting a particular atom in Alpha Centurai's system, but we do know it's pretty freaking impossible.

At the least, however, I showed some (rather conservative) estimates on the kind of probabilities you'd need. You have only provided a vague statement "we can't know how likely it is," with no support or even an explanation of how that's relevant.
Ummmm:

1) creationists believe the universe was created (and therefore not random)

2) scientists believe it was ultimately random (continue reading before you say anything)

3) Knowing how improbable (impossible) a random formation of a cell is (even a primitive one), scientists are now looking at intermediate stages of self replicating molecules

4) None of the intermediate stages which have been proposed are even remotely viable, and they also fall prey to a weakness full cells do not: the reactions required to form them also produce by-products which render them inert.

We do know what the odds are of shooting a bullet from Earth and hitting a particular atom in Alpha Centurai's system.
Probabilities of life or the universe existing cannot be estimated.
My statements have not been vague. We are extremely lacking in knowledge required to determine those things. You made a claim & haven't supported it yet you want me to.
You need me to explain the relevancy of something you repeatedly claim???
Which scientists are you referring to?
We do not know how probable or improbable the formation of a cell is.

Back