Is it child abuse to teach kids about the concept of Hell?

Alien Cockroach

Banned
Banned
If the concept of Hell were found to have a profound, clearly negative effect on children's cognitive/social development, should parents be punished for teaching this obviously disturbing concept to their children?

Is there any data on this?

Not necessarily. If we are discussing the possibility of the government intervening directly in this matter, then perhaps this is more of a socio-political issue than it looks on the surface.

Furthermore, I am trying to get a certain Muslim-basher, around here, to realize that Christians are not inherently immune to censure.

As Stephen King wrote...'hell is about repetition'.

The Asian reincarnation approach is far more sensible and calibrated than having all sinners burn for all eternity...regardless of their crimes.

It's not literally child abuse, it shouldn't be prosecuted by law, but it's not good parenting.

But as parents, don't we teach our children to afraid of and avoid all kinds of unpleasant things?

Boogieman.

My kids were taught to in the yard when the boogieman lights came on or he would get them.

If the concept of Hell were found to have a profound, clearly negative effect on children's cognitive/social development, should parents be punished for teaching this obviously disturbing concept to their children?

Is there any data on this?

If anything, I would consider it psychological abuse; that's if someone is threatening them with the concept of hell. But simply educationg a kid on the believes and what hell is to various people, no... I don't see anything wrong with that.

If anything, I would consider it psychological abuse; that's if someone is threatening them with the concept of hell.....

and what if they are threatened with the concept of grounding, of time out, or detention, or getting fired?

How on earth is it abuse? :shrug:

There is a huge difference between sensible, reasonable punishments such as being put in detention for misbehaviour, and the idea of being tortured forever with hot iron. Surely you understand that???? O_O

as a kid, no. Both were bad. Getting a spanking with a belt was a lot worse then hell when I died when I was old, which was a thousands years away.
Heck, I was well behaved because of Santa, not the threat of hell.

I think kids are better behaved when rewarded than when punished. Heaven works better than hell for keeping kids in line

Back