Is there more to Eastern philosophy than this...?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Stuart, Sep 13, 2014.

1. madethesame Banned Banned

East was most advanced in quantum Physics. The cosmic rules we find now are already mentioned in vedas.
    west had popes who masccared people, this is not advanced thing.
    west had more engineers who used the knowledge. don't forget euorpe ruled over east.
    the winner is always best.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

That's ridiculous.

The whole idea of there being something called 'the East' is a Western idea. (It's only east from Europe's geographical perspective.) In real life, Eurasia gave rise to several interacting civilizations that are quite distinct from each other in many ways, including philosophically.

The idea that 'the East' knew anything about quantum physics is probably a false conclusion drawn from the existence of layman's books like 'The Tao of Physics', where authors remark on superficial resemblances between their own interpretations of things like Madhyamaka and their interpretations of ideas from contemporary physics.

Again in real life, the cultures of southern and eastern Eurasia didn't know any more about quantum physics than the Europeans did, prior to a century ago. By the time quantum physics appeared on the intellectual scene, modern post-17th-century science had already spread worldwide. Quantum physics is obviously known and is the subject of research in places like Japan, China and India today, but that work is done in the same style as European or American physics and is done as part of a world-wide community of scientists.

I do think that the older and more traditional philosophies of Asia are fascinating and that they are often worth the attention of philosophers all around the world today. It's valuable to look at familiar problems from new perspectives and to be introduced to new question, issues and approaches. There's far more to these philosphies than Stuart's stereotypical idea that they are all just relaxing, blissing-out and going blank.

But having said that, it's important to understand these intellectual traditions in their context and not to misrepresent them as being things that they are not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madethesame Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

“ Honest, guys East India company never stole Kerala Calculus and gave it to Newton. Isaac Newton is the old father of Calculus and I David Bressoud who is the modern father of Calculus and an expert having spontaneous knowledge , solemnly vouch for this !”
    “When Vedic ideas are proved correct, it is just dreaming , come right. When Western work ( lifted from ancient Vedanta ) is proved right, it is scientific knowledge ” -- Nikola Tesla .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madethesame Banned Banned

good. nice i am not here against west. what dear 'west' is doing i dont like.
    3rd law : whether a leaf falls on a thorn or a thron falls on a leaf, the effect is the same.
    india never had philosophers, india has mystics.
    i understand your point sir.

8. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Again, that's ridiculous.

I thought that you were claiming that they had the original quantum physicists.

Now you are repeating what looks like Stuart's error.

Instead of veering wildly and crazily between fanciful historical exaggeration of Indian philosophical prowess and ignorant denials that they had any philosophy at all, why not start learning about the subject?

9. madethesame Banned Banned

india does have 'philosophers', this is not tradation of india. the brahman's were cosmologists~philosophers.
    the mystics

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Want to dig into it? Here: http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/search/books/BOGWIT.html

The poetry and song of Wales has had significant influence on English and other poetic traditions (Auden recommended the writing of englyns as part of every English poet's education, Lowell and Hughes and others incorporated Welsh meters and structures, Dylan Thomas and others were of course Welsh to begin with, the Welsh influence is pervasive and manifold in Western poetry and song). Have a look at it: http://www.poetrymagnumopus.com/ind...-meter-groups-i-englynion-ii-cywydd-iii-awdl/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  12. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member

13. just me Registered Senior Member

the west seems to excel at making stuff out of other stuff, e.g. light bulbs, machines extra, but not really excel at offering good explanations for why things work the way they do like the east does.
    that's my impression anyway.