Is this right??

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
A teenager banned from wearing a chastity ring in school told the High Court yesterday that she had been discriminated against for being a Christian.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, a pupil at Millais School in Horsham, West Sussex, said that she wore the ring as a sign of her religious commitment to abstinence from sex until marriage.

But while she was stopped from wearing the ring, the school had allowed Muslim girls to wear headscarves and Sikh students to wear bangles, she argued.

Miss Playfoot claims that her human rights have been violated. If she is successful, she could set a legal precedent over which items can be classed as a cultural expression of religion.

It echoes a row last year in which a British Airways worker, Nadia Eweida, was banned from wearing a cross at work. BA eventually lifted the ban.

In a written statement before the court in Central London, Miss Playfoot stated that the school’s ban had sent a signal to pupils that Christianity was a lesser religion than others.

Paul Diamond, appearing for Miss Playfoot, accused the school authorities of relying on “folk lore” to make their decision. Mr Diamond, who also represented Ms Eweida in the British Airways case, said: “Secular authorities cannot rule on religious truth . . . secular authorities and institutions cannot be arbiters of religious faith.” The school rejected Miss Playfoot’s claims, arguing that the ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith and contravened its uniform policy. The only jewellery pupils at the school were allowed to wear were stud earrings, it claimed.

In a statement of reply, Leon Nettley, the head teacher, said that there had been no discrimination because the ring was not a recognised Christian symbol.

The ring was “just one of several methods of publicising a specific view within the Christian faith”, he wrote. A Muslim girl had been permitted to wear a headscarf, he said, “as it was understood this was considered to be a requirement of her faith” and the school believed that to do otherwise would unlawfully breach her human rights.
The row began two years ago, when Miss Playfoot attended an event by an American Christian movement, the Silver Ring Thing, which promotes abstinence before marriage. She then decided to wear a ring, engraved with a Biblical verse, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4, which reads: “God wants you to be holy and completely free from sexual immorality.”

Initially, she was allowed to wear her ring but when other friends also got one, she was asked to remove hers on the ground that it contravened the school’s jewellery policy.

Miss Playfoot refused and was made to study separately from her classmates. She was also told that if she persisted in wearing the ring, she would have to leave the school.

She is supported in her challenge by the Lawyers’ Christian Fellowship. Judgment was reserved to a later date.

-----------

now my point is why should the girl be allowed to wear headscarf and bangles, and this oyung christisn girl cannot wear a ring to say that she is saving herself for marrage.

also the headcarf is not a requirement of her faith so why should there be two standards, why is it ok for one and not the other?

personally i think the christian girl is being predujice against by the school and the rules they set. and she should be allowed to wear her ring.

what do you think?

what do you think?

The school are actually in the right. The 'ring' is not an essential piece of religious wear, whereas the headscarf is. The school did indeed say the girl could wear a cross which is fair enough.

I wanted to wear a t-shirt with a picture of a naked woman on it when I was at school. I couldn't because it was against policy - as were earrings etc etc. IF that t-shirt was a religious requirement then it would be allowed. The school would have a distinct policy that this girl is breaking.

The liberal secular society will do everything it can to keep any reference/ connection (perceived or otherwise) to God/Jesus OUT of schools, gov, etc.

It's a sign of the (end) times. No biggie. ;)

The liberal secular society will do everything it can to keep any reference/ connection (perceived or otherwise) to God/Jesus OUT of schools

I once had this t-shirt with the periodic table printed on it. The school forced me to take it off and wear a uniform instead. Clearly the liberal secular society will do everything it can to keep chemistry out of schools. :bugeye: You're so silly Sandy.

i don't really see how this is a religous arguement considering a chasity ring is not a symbol of the christian faiths now if it was a cross yeah i could see it but a chastity ring not so much its just a sign of how your not going to have sex

I don't see why schools are concerned with rings. Seems rather unnecessary, a waste of time and resources.

Well, look at it this way ....if they rule that the white, Christian girl can't wear the ring, a few people will be upset, but that will be the end of it.

If the court tries to make Muslims conform to the rules, there'll be riots, car bombings, bombings of stores and buildings, killing of people, ....all over England AND Europe, and maybe even in other countries of the world.

If you were the court judges, which would you want to happen on your watch?

Baron Max

Do they check socks and underwear too? Hand out condoms, sanitary napkins and tampons? Do testing for drugs and diseases? Check for guns?

1) Most schools will have a doctor or nurse that 'checks you out'. They also have policies in place to prevent kids with certain illnesses and diseases from passing them on to other kids, (i.e kids with veruccas need to wear special socks if they intend to swim).

2) Many schools do now have metal detectors - mainly in known trouble areas. However, like jewellery it is pertinent to say that guns are not allowed in schools. What are you advocating here exactly? If a kid takes a gun into school he should be allowed to keep it?

3) Socks and underwear do not generally offer as much potential danger as jewellery.

4) Sex is not allowed in school, (probably). As such handing out condoms would be a pointless endeavour.

5) Are you purposely being silly?

Rings are only ok if they're in your face, eyebrows, nose, lips, tongue, etc..

Could you kindly show me a school that says it's ok to wear 'face rings' while banning finger rings? Didn't think so.

1) Most schools will have a doctor or nurse that 'checks you out'. They also have policies in place to prevent kids with certain illnesses and diseases from passing them on to other kids, (i.e kids with veruccas need to wear special socks if they intend to swim).

2) Many schools do now have metal detectors - mainly in known trouble areas. However, like jewellery it is pertinent to say that guns are not allowed in schools. What are you advocating here exactly? If a kid takes a gun into school he should be allowed to keep it?

3) Socks and underwear do not generally offer as much potential danger as jewellery.

4) Sex is not allowed in school, (probably). As such handing out condoms would be a pointless endeavour.

5) Are you purposely being silly?

Could you kindly show me a school that says it's ok to wear 'face rings' while banning finger rings? Didn't think so.

No just wondering how much of a role the school plays. We used to go to school only for an education And except for a uniform, everything else was pretty much the responsibility of the family.:confused:

No just wondering how much of a role the school plays. We used to go to school only for an education.

And while in their care, it would be irresponsible of them to allow you to wear potentially dangerous items right?

But while she was stopped from wearing the ring, the school had allowed Muslim girls to wear headscarves and Sikh students to wear bangles, she argued.
If true, she (and all pupils, regardless of religion or lack thereof) should be allowed to wear jewelery. Either that or all pupils must adhere to the dress code, and headscarves, bangles, rings and other accessories banned.

Last edited:
And while in their care, it would be irresponsible of them to allow you to wear potentially dangerous items right?

That was never a consideration, since the schools assume that the parents would take care of it (and they did).

If true, she (and all pupils, regardless of religion or lack thereof) should be allowed to wear jewelery. Either that or all pupils must adhere to the dress code, and headscarves, bangles, rings and other accessories banned.

i personally think (now that i have had time to think about it more) that is she has to stop wearing her ring then the muslims girls should not be able to wear a headscarve.

a ring is not dangerous and it doesnt harm the school to just let her wear her token of appreciation of her body and her worth, teachers and the rules they set are getting more and more rediculous every day.

The school are actually in the right. The 'ring' is not an essential piece of religious wear, whereas the headscarf is. The school did indeed say the girl could wear a cross which is fair enough.

I wanted to wear a t-shirt with a picture of a naked woman on it when I was at school. I couldn't because it was against policy - as were earrings etc etc. IF that t-shirt was a religious requirement then it would be allowed. The school would have a distinct policy that this girl is breaking.

it is not a religious requirement, the girls choose to wear the headscarve!

That was never a consideration, since the schools assume that the parents would take care of it (and they did).

O...k, but we agree that it would be irresponsible of schools to allow children to wear potentially dangerous articles of clothing if the parents hadn't taken care of it.. right?

a ring is not dangerous and it doesnt harm the school to just let her wear her token of appreciation of her body and her worth

They most certainly can be dangerous, (if you have an accident to your hand, it swells, ring stops circulation etc etc) which is why a school opts for the 'better to be safe than sorry' method. Given your own argument here you must understand that it doesn't harm the girl for her to just wear the ring once she leaves school, nor does a ring mean she appreciates her body or worth any less. Why, if school finishes at 3pm and you go to bed at 10pm you still have a whole 7 hrs of joy wearing your ring.

Whether it is ultimately nice or not, the school policy disallows the kids from wearing items of jewellery. If she doesn't like that fact and instead feels it of utmost importance to tell the world she's a virgin, she can find a school where the policy is different.

it is not a religious requirement, the girls choose to wear the headscarve!

Then they should not be wearing them. It's something the school need to look into but we all know how it works in this current climate. Upset a muslim and something gets blown up. Of course worth pointing out:

"“as it was understood this was considered to be a requirement of her faith” and the school believed that to do otherwise would unlawfully breach her human rights"

They also allowed this girl to wear her cross - fully allowing her to advertise her religious beliefs. Her wanting to advertise her virginity cannot really fall under that classification one way or the other.

O...k, but we agree that it would be irresponsible of schools to allow children to wear potentially dangerous articles of clothing if the parents hadn't taken care of it.. right?

They most certainly can be dangerous, (if you have an accident to your hand, it swells, ring stops circulation etc etc) which is why a school opts for the 'better to be safe than sorry' method. Given your own argument here you must understand that it doesn't harm the girl for her to just wear the ring once she leaves school, nor does a ring mean she appreciates her body or worth any less. Why, if school finishes at 3pm and you go to bed at 10pm you still have a whole 7 hrs of joy wearing your ring.

Whether it is ultimately nice or not, the school policy disallows the kids from wearing items of jewellery. If she doesn't like that fact and instead feels it of utmost importance to tell the world she's a virgin, she can find a school where the policy is different.

Then they should not be wearing them. It's something the school need to look into but we all know how it works in this current climate. Upset a muslim and something gets blown up. Of course worth pointing out:

"“as it was understood this was considered to be a requirement of her faith” and the school believed that to do otherwise would unlawfully breach her human rights"

They also allowed this girl to wear her cross - fully allowing her to advertise her religious beliefs. Her wanting to advertise her virginity cannot really fall under that classification one way or the other.

a cross isnt a religious symbol that you are erequired to wear either, so what they should do is, stop girls and boys wearing any item of jewelarry(sp) that can be seen has a religious item, even if they do make a fuss and threaten the school, why should there be double standards?

Perhaps it would be best to insist that everyone in school wear an overall with no distinguishing marks. Maybe this should become the rule for all people in the world.

Back