It makes no sense

Discussion in 'Religion' started by fess, Feb 19, 2020.

1. fess Registered Senior Member

it made perfect sense to believe in a human-like loving active God when we thought the earth was at the center of a small universe and everything revolved around us and all the workings of the world were mysterious.
    But now that we know know the universe is at least 90 billion light years across and our entire lives happen in a tiny instant of time on a small speck of dust revolving around a non-descript star in a non district galaxy, just one of untold billions.
    Every time we bump up against the limits of our knowledge, we assume some mystical answer for our unanswered questions.
    Maybe wel'll understand the universe completely one day, but much more likely, our brains did not evolve in a way that the universe could ever make complete sense to us.
    There is no good reason to believe an intelligent, caring being created this vast universe for us, other than to make yourself feel better.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well ... yeah.

While I agree with the sentiment, it is no more based in fact than a theist's argument. Atheists are the rational ones - the ones who acknowledge that simple, personal "common sense" doesn't cut it. I hold rational, science-minded peeps to a higher standard.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Uh, I'd say it is probably deeply rooted in early childhood development. That we don't want scary monsters under are beds, we want Santa to bring presents or we want to belong to a family...

davewhite04 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Then don’t believe.
    What are you stressing for?

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Jan makes a good point.

Do you (fess) have a need to convince others of your belief?

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Do you believe in Santa?

What happens when you don't believe?

10. fess Registered Senior Member

Hardly stressing. Just wondering why so many obviously intelligent people believe something that seems so obviously unfounded and .....actually silly

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  11. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Presents?

Well if Santa exists he is either me or he doesn't like me. I have hung my expensive stocking out, that could hold a nintendo switch and nothing, 2 years in a row, not a sausage, what a greedy lazy bastard. Maybe murdering a million a day doesn't put me in anyones good books. I'm innocent.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why the need to wonder. As you’ve already started to create a scenario, based entirely on your worldview, why not just finish it, according to your worldview. That’s all it can ever be.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is nothing Jan can't rationalize using faith.

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Don't believe - still get presents

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Weirdly, that catch-all seems to have dropped some kernels from your apron, this time.

Y'know, somewhere between corny and nutty ... er―oh ... I see. It's creamed.

16. fess Registered Senior Member

When you see people doing something you think is odd, don't you wonder about it? Don't you think, "well that's strange, why would they do that?" I've yet to hear a reasonable argument for it

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What is “odd” about being a theist?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You’re not going to accept any argument for it, and it doesn’t matter if it is reasonable.
    What you’re attempting to secure in this thread, is the idea that atheism is the normal standard. It isn’t.
    But I accept any atheist argument, because no matter whether they are being reasonable or not. Because they are atheist.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Huh?

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Probably because it comforts them.

21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Of course Santa is real, he's on Twitter.

Really, what happens when you stop believing in people like Santa, a little of the child dies.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something about a can of corn, except when it isn't.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I said... “Why the need to wonder. As you’ve already started to create a scenario, based entirely on your worldview, why not just finish it, according to your worldview. That’s all it can ever be.”

No faith required.
    An atheist will always reason like an atheist.