It makes no sense

Discussion in 'Religion' started by fess, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes...perhaps...and the problem is any proposition re a god or gods is that we have no more than "perhaps" and so I find it very odd that theists make various unsupported claims including but not limited to...God created the universes, that such creation was for us, that this god created humans in his image, that he communicated his wishes to humans, that after death there is an expectation of some sort of eternal existence in some mythical place.
    If you "perhaps" you can "perhaps" anything that seems like a good idea at the time.
    And so a theist somehow entertains their "perhaps" upon faith as if it were a virtue without considering that faith is a mere belief with no evidence in support.
    "Perhaps" is not a path to truth.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

There is a lot of power in belief. If you believe Jesus can save you from the burden of your misdeeds--if you truly believed that to be true--how much lighter would your load be?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Only YOU can save yourself from the burden of YOUR misdeeds, no one else. You have to take responsibility for your own actions and not expect to hoist them on someone else shoulders. That's the power of reality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay. Do you want to Define Reality too? Others might disagree depending on their point of view.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Reality is where you do your misdeeds.

And, if you have a moral compass, why are you committing misdeeds?

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

What Q said.

Perhaps much of the burden of misdeeds is generated by the guilt created by most religions.

To create guilt say in matters relating to sex is obvious and damaging to young folk.

I am for accepting responsibilty firstly and living a decent life such that you don't carry any burdens.

The confession system hardly encourages better behaviour when you can do your worst and spill your gutz and then get a free pass...well a little cash in the plate maybe.
    Alex

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Pretty slim definition of reality.

Indeed, why are you committing misdeeds?

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

All I'm saying is that it works for many. There is power in belief. I wouldn't block that avenue for anyone.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Are you seriously saying you don't know what reality is? Seriously?

I'm not, why are you if you need saving from them? Can't you live your life without doing bad things?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It doesn't work for anyone. Grow up, put your big boy pants on and take responsibility for your actions.

There is no power in belief, there is only illusions.

No one needs it if they are responsible people. Are you or are you not a responsible person?

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm waiting for you to define reality. Each individual stands at the center of the Universe. What have you found there?

I'm all things: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Made in God's Image, you know.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Is that supposed to be a joke? I don't define reality, it defines itself.

Gibberish.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So give me its definition if you have none of your own.

no.

17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes is does I expect.
    You can cut wood with an axe..that works for many folk but a chain saw is better and all that I suggest is being honest and living by a code of accepting personal responsibility is, like the chain saw, better.
    I am not interested in power but more in facing reality and accepting personal responsibility and such an approach can only build self esteem. I see no value in a system that does so much to destroy self esteem by creating guilt and self loathing which is a general but reasonable cristisism that can be made about many religions.
    I can understand that approach but there is a better way.
    Have a nice day and don't burden yourself with guilt.
    Alex

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, you're asking me to look up a words meaning because you don't understand it's meaning. Usually, if a person doesn't understand the meaning of a word, they look it up themselves. You could have easily done that yourself rather than wasting both our time. But then, that was probably your motive all along, waste our time with your ignorance of words.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

No, he's asking you to look up a word because he's losing the argument, and redefining words is one way he can "win."

(Q) likes this.
  20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You eventually need to cut loose your baggage, X. You are the boat, not the wake.

It's good to learn from past mistakes.

It is a mixed bag, isn't it? I like to whittle it down to its bare essentials--Christ died so others might live.

The present moment is where all things take place...always. The past is a memory, the future has yet to arrive.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't see this as an argument...sheesh. If you claim to have cornered reality, you should be able to define it.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Sure, but the religion had to exist and be well established before indoctrination could ever be a factor. So, why was it invented? And why did it catch on? You have to look at the origins of each religion to see what need it filled in each particular society. And when you look at the gods - how they are described in the scriptures of each religion - you can see what human traits or archetypes they represent.
    Anybody can leave a religion if it doesn't meet their emotional needs, or offends their moral sense, or contravenes their reason - but a relatively small minority choose to do so. Those who choose to stay are making the compromises necessary to stay: turn off logic, overlook inconsistencies, ignore some of the teachings and pick the bits they like, justify and excuse past crimes, pretend the ancients didn't know any better and it's all better now.
    They choose to stay for a reason. There has to be a payoff.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, I guess that depends on how you define "argument." By my definition, it is a perfect one.