It makes no sense

Discussion in 'Religion' started by fess, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I agree.
    Because man has always been a spiritual creature, and has always searched for its origin.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay. It's an argument then.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Ya, right.... picture a stone-age hominid seeking his spiritual side, while he hacks a live mammoth to pieces with a stone axe....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That is a curious response to a suggestion to be honest and responsible for ones actions.

The fact you see my desire to be honest and responsible as baggage does suggest something rather odd about your belief system, no it's more than odd your view borders on evil.
    Perhaps you are possessed by demons.
    Drink a bottle of holy water and take a priest to bed..no have a priest sprinkle you with holy water, drink a bottle of rum and go to bed...

Another person with failed metaphors skills.

That's the problem I find with theists ... even when addressing the simplest observation they employ metaphors... I guess they just can not be direct in their answer.

It is far better to learn from the past mistakes of others... Jones town , Waco, the Inquisition, funding pastors to buy private jets, and how religion is used to justify a wide variety of immoral deeds through out history ... Tell me what did you learn from those?

So what was the inquisition about then?

I guess it would be pointless to expect your will watch this but it's all about the start of Christianity
    Another failure for theists ... Profound you are not.

You want profound.. then try this...

When the Sun sets in the saucer of milk the cat will sing to the cuckoo clock.

Feel free to use it.
    It will look good on you.

Alex

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Christ died so others might live.

Are you really sure you want to think about this?
    What happens when you really, seriously, rationally think about this?

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Passes out and falls over???
    Alex

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's curious response to my reply. You would make a great street preacher, X.

You didn't understand the metaphor? I guess I failed.

It is not uncommon for a perfectly good message to be exploited for conquest and profit, twisting its original purpose for ill.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

And...?

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Every culture had their gods and spirits, Jeeves.

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That is not how you spell sweeper.
    Did you understand it?
    Good guess.
    Did you watch the movie?
    It shows how god worked to bring Christianity to the world...that's the message watch it again.
    It explains the miracle.
    It actually contains evidence for the whole story supported by scientists and historical records.
    I know I muck around but this video is for true believers. After I watched twice I changed my opinion about Christianity.
    You need to read between the lines..but they explain all that...you have been looking for something..this is it..remember view it twice and read between the lines.
    Alex

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I understand the point of the crucifixion and the importance of belief. Again, I wouldn't take that away from others.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Fantastic video. You will love the video I recommended when the penny drops that Rome conquered the world to lay out a road system to later propogate the word.
    Alex

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

So, you refuse to think about it?
    Okay, I shall explain.
    God creates man, then tells man not to act on his instincts or else God will kill him.
    Man cannot help but act on his instincts, but God does not kill him outright; instead, God sends man out to make a hard living in the wilderness, where the only way to survive is by acting on his instincts.
    Man survives and thrives by his instincts.
    This makes God angry, so he drowns all the animals and most of the people.
    The survivors start multiplying and fighting again; acting on his instincts, man thrives.
    This makes God angry at most of them, but he still likes a few, as long as they keep killing innocent animals in sacrifice.
    God doesn't like animals and most people.
    Almost everything men do makes God angry.
    The chosen have to sacrifice lots of animals, kill lots of other people in wars and stone to death some of their own.
    But God is still angry.
    So angry, in fact, that no animal sacrifice will mollify him, and he's about ready to kill everybody again.
    But then he has an idea. *Hey, I know!* I'll impregnate an underage virgin without her consent, wait until the kid grows up, listen to him preach for a while and then have some other people torture him to death. And then I can forgive generations and generations of people who haven't been born yet, for whatever they haven't done wrong yet.
    Well, if that don't make sense, what does?

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's a lie. The story goes that Christ was arrested, tried and convicted to death by crucifixion. He had no choice in the matter. No one else would have died had he lived. You're living a lie.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Indoctrination of religion evolved along with the religions themselves, going hand in hand from as far back as when shamans provided rituals before tribes went out for the hunt.

Often, choosing to stay with a religion didn't have so much of a payoff as it did a means to survive within a family or circle of friends one grew up with rather than being ostracized or even being the victim of violence. Those who thought there was a payoff were indoctrinated to believe there was a payoff, those beliefs were hard set from childhood. When it came to those beliefs, their minds were incapable of logic and reason, we see that right here on these forums from a few of our members who outright reject facts and evidence in favor of their faith, all the while using logic and reason like everyone else in other aspects of their lives.

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

The belief system and world-view of a people is passed naturally to the young. You can call it education, indoctrination or parenting: children are helped to grow up as accepted, productive members of their society.
    And yet, the whole point of christian martyrs was to cling to their new religion in spite of it directly opposing the dominent religion; their schtik was to invite violence against themselves. Later, when they became the dominant religion, they inflicted violence on anybody who didn't accept christianity.

But that was then.
    My question was directed to now.
    Certainly, a lot of nominal christians are still eager to inflict violence on non-christians, but they're not legally dominant enough to do it with impunity. Also, people are lot more mobile; free to find another community.
    And yet, many choose to turn off their critical faculties and continue in the delusion.
    I was told the same thing, but it didn't stick.
    In fact, it's impossible to have a functional brain, to be able to live rationally in the world, and still keep the fairy tale intact. The internal contradictions alone would drive you crazy.
    I bet it didn't really stick to the pope, either. He has to pretend. Most of them have to pretend. That's why they're so adamant about spreading it. Some of the promulgators are quite clever enough to see through it. They have an ulterior agenda.
    Only the very, very simple can believe it without cherry-picking - and that's because they don't understand the story they believe.

20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Of course it is.
    Guilt is good material for blackmail. The more guilt you can instil in people, the more money you can collect from them.
    Not since I was 12 and read the bible for myself.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Whoops, sorry Jeeves, I didn't notice you posted that, for some reason I thought it came from Bowser.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

That's going to take all my Christian forbearance, but I'll eventually get over it.

Bowser and (Q) like this.