Journal Club: Angiogenesis: PGC-1α provides a breath of fresh air

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Nature 451, 1008-1012 (21 February 2008) | doi:10.1038/nature06613; Received 15 October 2007; Accepted 20 December 2007

HIF-independent regulation of VEGF and angiogenesis by the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1alpha

Zoltan Arany1,2, Shi-Yin Foo2, Yanhong Ma1, Jorge L. Ruas1, Archana Bommi-Reddy1, Geoffrey Girnun1, Marcus Cooper1, Dina Laznik1, Jessica Chinsomboon1, Shamina M. Rangwala3, Kwan Hyuck Baek4, Anthony Rosenzweig2 & Bruce M. Spiegelman1

Anyone want to try a synopsis? I'll write mine after 3 days.

Or we could try a different method; select a figure and describe its results.

edit: don't miss the methods section.

Questions are also welcome.

Last edited:
Nature 451, 1008-1012 (21 February 2008) | doi:10.1038/nature06613; Received 15 October 2007; Accepted 20 December 2007

HIF-independent regulation of VEGF and angiogenesis by the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1alpha

...Anyone want to try a synopsis? I'll write mine after 3 days. ...
No, but I Look forward to yours. Here are some related comments on it and my observations (I undestand this is research only - but I like to think ahead to the possible therapeutic application of what is learned, so my comments lean that way. Note the alpha after PGC-1 did not post):

“…PGC-1 and ERR- , major regulators of mitochondrial function in response to exercise and other stimuli, also control a novel angiogenic pathway that delivers needed oxygen and substrates. PGC-1 may provide a novel therapeutic target for treating ischaemic diseases. …”

Seems to me like a “side effect” of any therapy suppressing PGC-1 would be feeling quite weak, if the mitochondria are not working well. – Would not want my heart muscle to get tired and stop.

“PGC-1 is known to co-activate several transcription factors, including many members of the MEF2 (myocyte enhancer factor-2), FOXO (forkhead transcription factor O) and nuclear receptor families2. …Thus, PGC-1 seems to stimulate VEGF expression at least in part by the coactivation of ERR- . …”

Seems to me like PGC-1 plays a very fundamental and complex role in many parts of bio chemistry – so complex that medical science should not even consider “therapeutic manipulation" of it in humans.

I not opposed to some in vivo mouse etc studies to better understand this role. But as I like to observe: “My body is smarter than all the doctors put together.”

“… The regulation of VEGF in response to hypoxia is thought to be mediated primarily through the well-known HIF factors. Surprisingly, the novel PGC-1 /ERR- pathway described here is apparently independent of the HIF pathway. …”

Bold not “well-known” by me – can anyone comment? At least expand “HIF.” I am especially interested in knowing if there are some specific surface sites that function in the HIF process of stimulation of new vascularization.

“…Angiogenesis is also crucial to tumour progression and metastasis. The interface of metabolism with cancer progression has been the subject of renewed scrutiny in recent years18. //// {Genetech's "Avastin" is now billion dollar market drug hitting VEGF} //// It will be of great interest to elucidate the role of PGC-1 and ERR- in this interface, given the important function of these molecules in metabolic control.
Human clinical trials that examine the efficacy of VEGF delivery as therapy in various settings, including chronic limb ischaemia, have yielded disappointing results6, 19, 20. In large part this may be because the use of VEGF alone seems to lead to immature, leaky vessels19. The generation of fully functional vessels requires the coordinated action of numerous signals, such as PDGF-BB and the angiopoetins6. One therapeutic approach to this problem may be to modulate a transcriptional regulator that coordinates these signals appropriately6, 21. The PGC-1 /ERR- pathway provides such an opportunity. …”

Again, I like working with nature –not trying to manipulate it. I don’t know if they can avoid going bankrupt, but IMHO www.aastrom.com has the preferred approach for chronic limb ischaemia and related problems, even in the heart and bones.

I also like: www.peregrine.com ideas, now in P2 trials of bavituximab, for starving ALL of the tumor, not just of the new blood vessels needed for tumor growth by hitting VEGF, but even destroying the ones the tumor already has. Thus, selectively killing the whole tumor!

Bavituximab is a monoclonal antibody, which targets phosphatidylserine molecules [PS] presented on the outer side of cancer blood vessel cells. PS is only a side-effect, a characteristic of cancerous tissues from which cancer does not benefit. In normal, healthy vascular cells, PS is tightly segregated to the internal side of the cell. This segregation appears to be impaired in many kinds of tumor blood vessels, where PS becomes present on the external side of the cells. This phenomenon was observed in lung, breast, prostate and pancreatic cancer, among others. Monoclonal antibodies that are injected into the blood stream can recognize only targets that are presented on the external side of cells, healthy cells that have PS exclusively on their inner side will be unaffected, while cancer blood vessels would be targeted by the antibody exclusively.

Can anyone give summary of paper’s ref 9 (Nature paper from 2003)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy, as we discuss the paper, I'll add background info to answer your questions. :)

(PS. I'll send you a summary of the reference you asked for)

Interesting for me (since angiogenesis, ischaemia, etc., are mostly new ground in my case), glad you made another article. I'm looking forward to trying to find flaws in the methods tomorrow. ;)

Billy-T said:
Seems to me like PGC-1 plays a very fundamental and complex role in many parts of bio chemistry – so complex that medical science should not even consider “therapeutic manipulation" of it in humans.

Since it is a natural process that they seem to advocate amplifying rather than changing its nature, I disagree (though I'm not saying that changes of magnitude cannot bring about complications). Plus, I think it is safe to say much riskier things are tinkered with on a regular basis.

Look at what is going on now! ;p

In large part this may be because the use of VEGF alone seems to lead to immature, leaky vessels

Immature, leaky vessels sounds unpleasant. Maybe no worse than before, but it sounds bad :eek:

Though, I'd like to here from S.A.M., or anyone else who works in the field, give an idea of how complicated testing something involved in so much regulation like PGC could be.

Last edited:
Here's an idea to mull over:

In some cases you want angionesis to thrive, in others you don't. The first could be (as demonstrated by the ligation and ablation of the femoral artery of the animals in the paper) in cases of injury, restricted blood flow, bypass surgery etc. The other could be in cases where cells are growing really really fast in a hypoxic environent and need blood supply for nutrition ie tumorigenesis.

Understanding the mechanisms of hypoxia induced angionesis and neovascularisation are important for designing specific markers and tools not only to investigate the above aberrations but as Billy has suggested may also be useful in therapeutics.

The 'problem' with such important pathways in the body is that inhibiting one will frequently generate another, alternate pathway (all critical processes come with a plan B) so finding a HIF-1 (hypoxia inducible factor-1)-independent method of angionesis is an inportant consideration when dealing with stuff like restricting the growth of tumors.

And a practical tip:

Can you write in one sentence per figure exactly what you think it depicts?
This is a useful skill for learning to recognise, remember and read figures quickly and accurately.
It helps tremendously when attending many seminars a day (or reviewing many papers). Just draw the main figures and you know what the talk (or paper) was about. ;)

Last edited:
I think so, but I'll find out when I have time. Sounds like a good shortcut. Most people are way better at visual interpretations.

Reviewing many papers sounds tough. It took me over an hour to read to finish this paper T_T (slower than my typical science textbook rate of ~5 min/page (this article was 9 pages when I pasted it)).

Out of curiosity, how do these experimenters rate on a Platt/strong inference scale? :p

Sorry for the delay, I'm stuck reviewing some papers right now, so the summary will have to wait for a while.

"PGC-1 may provide a novel therapeutic target for treating ischaemic diseases."

"induction of PGC-1 by the deprivation of nutrients and oxygen is apparently independent of HIF"

"PGC-1 regulates VEGF through coactivation of ERR-."

If I understand it correctly the paper suggests that this PGC-1 is produced when we deprive ourselves of food and oxygen...and treats ischaemic problems by increasing blood flow? am I right? because that would not make sense...less oxygen would mean less cells get it so how would that increase blood flow or help the heart?

Conclusion: ischaemic disease is treated by deprivation of nutrients and oxygen which cause induction of PGC-1 that regulats VEGF through coactivation of ERR....

VEGF: protein that is secreted by oxygen deprived cells to start angiogenesis
ERR: oestrogen related receptor

Last edited:
"PGC-1 may provide a novel therapeutic target for treating ischaemic diseases."

"induction of PGC-1 by the deprivation of nutrients and oxygen is apparently independent of HIF"

If I understand it correctly the paper suggests that this PGC-1 is produced when we deprive ourselves of food and oxygen...and treats ischaemic problems by increasing blood flow? am I right? because that would not make sense...

It said
Surprisingly, the induction of VEGF by PGC-1alpha does not involve the canonical hypoxia response pathway and hypoxia inducible factor (HIF).

hypoxia = oxygen deprivation

less oxygen would mean less cells get it so how would that increase blood flow or help the heart?

Something like that might happen indirectly (not PGC-1 though). Something like that would typically involve some sort of hormonal feedback mechanism that leads to a change in gene expression, and the product of the gene expression would be be the direct cause that increases bloodflow, or a factor of the direct cause.

VEGF: protein that is secreted by oxygen deprived cells to start angiogenesis

VEGF = Vascular endothelial growth factor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEGF

Hm, about the hypoxia bit, ignore it for now. I think I misled you. I kind of forgot the details of this article, am rereading some of it now.

oooh my bad. :eek: see thats why I am ashamed to come to these biology threads, everyones' so smart...

You know, I sense sarcasm.

OK, I was way off obviously :p Hypoxia does result in PGC-1 expression. The thing from the abstract I quoted was just a different response with Hypoxia in the name.

Conclusion: ischaemic disease is treated by deprivation of nutrients and oxygen which cause induction of PGC-1 that regulats VEGF through coactivation of ERR....

Hm, 'treated' isn't a good word choice. Are you saying that such deprivation is used as a treatment method? If so, the deprivation happens as a result of the ischaemia (from wikipedia: In medicine, ischemia (Greek ισχαιμία, isch- is restriction, hema or haema is blood) is a restriction in blood supply, generally due to factors in the blood vessels, with resultant damage or dysfunction of tissue. It may also be spelled ischaemia or ischæmia.), it is not artificially induced. Anyway, it does trigger the PGC-1 expression, which does lead to the angiogenesis, which sometimes fixes the problem.

Near the end they say,
Human clinical trials that examine the efficacy of VEGF delivery as therapy in various settings, including chronic limb ischaemia, have yielded disappointing results6, 19, 20. In large part this may be because the use of VEGF alone seems to lead to immature, leaky vessels19. The generation of fully functional vessels requires the coordinated action of numerous signals, such as PDGF-BB and the angiopoetins6. One therapeutic approach to this problem may be to modulate a transcriptional regulator that coordinates these signals appropriately6, 21. The PGC-1alpha/ERR-alpha pathway provides such an opportunity.

That should of made it into your conclusion! ;)

Anyway ~.~ Surely it is not much fun to just try to summarize the article. The worth of this article is also following their experiment and methods, not just their knowledge... though that is good too :p

Back