Justice...

purple_hairstreak

My true colours clash
Registered Senior Member
I believe that justice is a myth. The judicial system is based not on some elevated sense of fairness or justice but on the basic instinct of all animals--survival. When our survival is threatened by murderers, theives, rapists, etc., our instinct is to kill them. However, "civilisation" prevents us from doing this so we just lock them away. The fact remains however that it is the instinct for survival that makes us punish what we see as wrong or evil and not any sense of justice.

Yes, I think you are right Purple Hairstreak. If we were concerned about justice, we would do a lot more than we do with regards to eliminating poverty and social inequality which is the root of so much "crime." Did you know that about 13% of Americans live below the poverty line? That's about 39,000,000 people. And this is the country that is supposed to be the world leader in justice and equality. That number is sure to go up too, with the neo-cons changing laws left and right that further increase the gap between rich and poor. Justice, in America, is based almost soley on how much money you have. Survival of the richest. And then there is the whole "religious" aspect to justice. I'm not gonna go there yet.

Back