Legal advice needed for a friend!

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
My friend had a land rover which she sold after her marrage went sour, so to get money to keep a roof over her head and feed the kids, she deicded to sell it,

so she advertised the land rover for £3000 sold has seen. and this guy bought it. but he came back a few weeks later adn said that there was problems with the engine, and the central locking, and when she refused to give him his money back because has i said it was sold has seen. he has now started court procedings, she has decided not to get a solicitor saying ti was to expensive and that she was going to do it all herself, but he is sueing her for £6000 the price of the land rover and the repairs,

now she hasnt got £6000 to give him, and she is affraid that she will be found guilty of selling a unroad worthy vehicle, but my question is, if it is sold has seen and she wrote that on the advert 2 times, does he have any chance in court of getting the £6000 he wants?

and when he came to buy the car, she also told him about 4 times it was being "sold has seen"

img-uk_cars-P027fd148508ee1a0def.jpg

this is not the actual car but one like it.

There shouldn't be any problem if he signed a contract stating he was buying it as seen.

There shouldn't be any problem if he signed a contract stating he was buying it as seen.

no she didnt think to bother with that, she was just thinking about the money, but she has kept the adverts saying "sold has seen"

Well I don't know then.

But I imagine the worst case scenario is that she has to buy the car back for £3,000.

but if she is found guilty of selling a unroady worthy vehile and gets fined, how is she to pay the fine, she is a single mum with two kids, could she pay it in installments, it has been a long time since i ahd to pay a fine, and i paid it outright so i dont know

They had better believe that she sold it as is.

I don't know the law where you live but here in America if you sell the car "as is" then the buyer takes full responsibility for it no matter what happens to it after he leaves the property where he/she bought it from. I'd think it would be the same there as well but you should talk to a official about the problem to insure that your friend won't be liable to pay anything.

I don't know the law where you live but here in America if you sell the car "as is" then the buyer takes full responsibility for it no matter what happens to it after he leaves the property where he/she bought it from. I'd think it would be the same there as well but you should talk to a official about the problem to insure that your friend won't be liable to pay anything.
M*W: That was what I was going to say. If I were selling a car here (in Texas), I would give they buyer a bill of sale which has the words "Sold As Is." In fact, I believe a bill of sale is required to get the proper registration and licensing. I don't know the laws of the UK, however, but common sense I would think dictates the outcome of this one.

Buyer beware. The guy should have had the truck inspected before purchase. Cosmic is right. I don't know about UK laws, but Judge Judy would throw the case out.

Judge Judy isn't a real judge.. but if you claim it is something else, even if you say it's "sold as is," it's still illegal. That simple phrase doesn't mean you can sell whatever you want to.

Edit: While saying something else.

Does the U.K have something that says the vehicle must be safety inspected before registering it?

BTW I think he is SOL, even a poor condition land rover should be worth 3000 Brit clams.

Wouldn't the guy's case hang on how the consumer laws are framed?
Here in NZ, buyers are protected with the "fit for use or purpose" clause: if a dealer sells a dodgy vehicle the consumer can claim fraud - the vehicle was misrepresented as roadworthy and fit for its intended use, but wasn't, or needed repairs etc.

Second-hand goods including vehicles have a way around it, by advertising it "as is where is". Eminently sensible - why does this guy even think he has a complaint, where is the misrepresentation?

First of all, there is no chance in hell he can get the purchase price back in addition to repairs.

Secondly, there is no chance in hell he can get back any money for the repairs.

It's the buyer's responsibility to check the car before they buy it. There is no implied guarantee as when you buy from a dealer, especially if the guy has no guarantee in writing. Rovers are high maintenance, everyone knows that.

she said "as is", therefore it is sold as is, there is no guarantee of quality given. he was a fool to buy a discovery in the first place, let alone one that he hadnt checked out properly.

even a poor condition land rover should be worth 3000 Brit clams.

id agree with you were it a defender or earlier, but it all went down hill from the discovery onwards.

Last edited:
If I claim that my car works, but it really doesn't, saying you buy it "as is" doesn't mean you can't demand a refund. I was saying that if her friend said something that wasn't true(which she must have, if what the man claims is true), then she is responsible.

Judge Judy isn't a real judge.. but if you claim it is something else, even if you say it's "sold as is," it's still illegal. That simple phrase doesn't mean you can sell whatever you want to.

Edit: While saying something else.
M*W: Actually, Judge Judy Sheindlin and her husband are both judges.

Back