Martial Arts

Distortion

melted down
Registered Senior Member
I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks about Martial Arts - whether or not its worth spending years of study on, what you percieve the benefits to be, and your experience(s) relating to it.

I mainly do Hapkido, Judo, and Kum Sul Do (Korean Weapons fighting art), but with touches of Tae Kwon Do, Ninjitsu, Kali/Arnis, and Silat.

Hapkido is kind of a mix of all the best traditional arts that you would think of, extremely well rounded and huge in breadth and amount of techniques. Ninjitsu and Silat are reputably 'excessively messy, vicious and efficient'. Lots of the techniques I learn in those arts are 'last ditch' things. (And, dive rolling over fences really impresses the ladies ;) ) The mentality of Silat is ultra-aggressive, kind of like 'I'm going to take this guy out, and who cares if I get injured on the way.' Which, of course is why I think it is so cool. Then you have Kum Sul Do and Kali - which basically teach you to use every weapon you can imagine - hell, if you're carrying a bag full of grocercies, you likely have a veritable arsenal of weapons.

I do this mainly for self-defense reasons (I like to know that if and when I ever get in a situation, I'll be the one in control, by light years). And also to help with my overall fitness and discipline.

Now, to wrap up this roundabout ramble, what do you guys think?

-Distortion

Wrestling rules

Karate, Tae Kwan Doe and all that are overrated in actual fighting.

Watch Ultimate Fighting you'll understand what I mean.

Jiu Jit Su is the best form (from Japan). Royce Gracie is awesome :cool:

Any form of wrestling will win you fights in the streets, most fights end up in wrestling 90% of the time, all that crap in movies are a bunch of bullshit.

Hmm, well, I will affirm you about Karate & Tae Kwon Do being mostly useless except for aesthetic purposes. That's why I said I do a 'touch' of Tae Kwon Do - I wouldn't otherwise waste my time, I simply say that because my Hapkido instructor has a 5th Dan (Degree) black belt in the art, so there is probably a touch of TKD in what he teaches.

I've whatched Ultimate Fighting - but even it is not entirely realistic, as comparable to a streetfight, and alot of the stuff isn't geared towards people that know what they are doing.

You've got a few key differences.

a) In UFC, you're not allowed to kill, maim, break the bones of, bite, hit in the groin, or anything like that. You can't run, hide, or otherwise take a leave.

b) Secondly, these are seasoned fighters, and none of what they are learning is for fighting people that don't know what they are doing. On the street, you may just want to restrain that 'drunk at the bar' that grabs you, as opposed to breaking 3 of his bones before he hits the ground.

c) Third, in UFC there are no weapons, and in real life - you can use practically anything as a weapon, everything from a coke can, to a ball point pen, to a pool cue, to your clothes. Not so in one of these staged 'competitions'. Besides, in a real fight you have to consider your environment, and the fact that there is usually more to it than just a 1 v 1 fight.

Yes, the Gracies are awesome - but I love my Hapkido - it takes all the good stuff from Jui Jitsu and adds it in with some wicked kicking and striking techniques, some judo grappling, a fair bit of weapons fighting, and a bunch of other stuff. That's why it's an 'electic' or 'evolved' martial art.

Any form of wrestling will win you fights in the streets, most fights end up in wrestling 90% of the time, all that crap in movies are a bunch of bullshit.

Ehhh, wrong. Just about any form of training in the art of hand-to-hand combat will 'win you fights in the street' - against someone who doesn't know what they are doing. But, get me to fight to the death with a wrestling guy, and I'll rip him a new one, seriously. You may say that '90 percent of fights end up on the ground' but your style lets you move around, and keep the guy at longer range, then this might not be the case, and even so, it's how you go to the ground.

Admittedly, alot of the stuff in the movies is 'bullshit' and only holds value in the aethetics of whatching how beautiful choreagraphed MA can be on the big screen, but who is going to jump 7 feet in the air and spin kick someone in the head in real life anyway? :)

Once again, hope you enjoyed my round-about ramble! :)

-Distortion

I have always been fascinated by martial arts. I was thinking about picking up Aikido, cause of its non violent nature.

The greatest benefit I see is the feeling of control over body and mind. Another benefit is a feeling of security if you get any good at it. If someone would attack me or my loved ones, I would be furious because of the lack of respect for physical integrity. I would like to know a good way of expressing that opinion.

The most fascinating martial arts form for me at the moment is Merpati Puti. They claim telekinetic punches and braking of iron bars.

I love martial arts movies, but not the ones in the style of Jean Claude Vandamme. He's good, but he relies on brute force too much. I like the subtlety and grace of fragile looking Chinese martial artists.

Bruce Lee rules.

The most fascinating martial arts form for me at the moment is Merpati Puti. They claim telekinetic punches and braking of iron bars.

I don't mean to disapoint you, but take it from someone who knows - that's fantasty. Not martial arts.

I love martial arts movies, but not the ones in the style of Jean Claude Vandamme. He's good, but he relies on brute force too much. I like the subtlety and grace of fragile looking Chinese martial artists.

Bruce Lee rules.

I agree with you completely. Try Hapkido - it's much more well-rounded and necessarily more effective in a self-defense situation. Plus, it's fantastic if you like the element 'of ease, fluidity, and absolute helplessness of the opponent'. Some of the restraining techniques are just - beautiful, someone grabs your shirt and a deft twist of the wrist as you step in a direction, a few pressure points hit for effect, and in seconds the guy is on the ground with his arm scewered against your leg, and he is completely at your mercy. Should you decide you are in a particularily bad mood, you can within a second (literally) dislocate his shoulder, break his arm in 2 seperate places, and his wrist - simultaneously. The motions are circular, fluid, gracefull IMO, and take advantage of modern and evolved understanding of human anatomy and physics.

Anyhow, yes, that's my little ad! Check it out, if you're interested in MA at all. You'll be impressed.

-Distortion

Even if Merpati Puti's claims are unrealistic, it is still the coolest name for a martial arts form ever :) (that was a joke :D )

Hapkido... I thought it was some housewives form of aikido. If I ever consider really picking up one of those sports, I will check Hapkido before joining anything.

Martial arts can be very good to learn self control from. Aikedo and Tae Kwan Do here....although Aikedo was much more beneficial for me.

As for what helps you win in a street fight - well, that takes brains and the ability to keep your cool, as well as to use every resource at your disposal. What you have to realize is that a lamp can make a kick-arse weapon and that there are no rules - you fight to survive. But when I was in a street fight situation, my Aikedo came in very handy. :)

Distortion, I would like to learn more about this Hapkido. The tecniques for restraint, especially the bit with the wrists, sounds like Aikedo.

Hapkido is illegal and untouchable filth ever since the movie Billyjack. Check it out if you must, but be warned, it's terrible.

I'm in Taekwon-Do for the moment, but my instructor advised me to add Jiu Jitsu He says : the best ever martial art what you can learn is when you mix a lot of them together, which I will soon do. Just have to find a good club.
Don't think of leaving TKD though.
What do yout think of Jiu Jitsu?

When I was 13 I got my Green Belt Tae-kwon-do from ITF (International Tae-kwon-do)

Distortion: It sounds like you are really trying too much at once. All the styles have their advantages and disadvantages. Just find one that you like and go with it. Don't rubbish other styles, but observe and learn from them.

I've been studying Wing Chun Kung Fu since I was 3 years old and am a 4th generation martial artist. My family have even got a style of Tai Chi named after them. I find that most sensei's or sifu's or whatever they want to be called, who rubbish other styles have another agenda in mind (i.e. that to make money or promote themselves and their style).

Anyway for what its worth, I think that learning martial arts is great. It's a great way to meet people, excersize, learn new things and develop comraderie.

And for all of you who have debated on the best style for self defense etc, I am inclined to think that what I learnt as a boxer at University has serve me the most.

DIstortion

WTF, weapons?! LOL, you're crazy man. I know it isn't "real dirty street fighting"

But it's the first 20 episodes of UF are the best ones, then it starts getting crappy.

Breaking bones? wtf? Gracie could've broken lots of bones if he wanted to, that is why so many give up against him. They will feel their weak joints about to snap if they do not submit.

Nuff' said. Any form of wrestling is better than all that other crap (Tae Kwan Doe, etc.).

Wrestling makes you tough and able to take hits.

Hapkido... I thought it was some housewives form of aikido. If I ever consider really picking up one of those sports, I will check Hapkido before joining anything.

Ok... here's the article on Hapkido:

Hapkido is a Korean martial art which emerged in the mid-twentieth century and quickly grew to become an international style. Its founders created the art by selectively fusing a wide range of existing martial skills, with new innovations. As a result, Hapkido possesses on of the most complex, unique, and varied arsenals of self-defense techniques to be found in any martial art. These techniques encompass all major martial categories: strikes, kicks, blocks, avoiding movements, holds, joint locks, chokes, throws, breakfalls, tumbling, ground fighting, weapons, meditation, and healing.

Like many Asian martial arts, Hapkido emphasizes the unification of body, mind, and spirit; the perfection of human character; social responsibility; and appropriate use of force. Unlike most martial arts, Hapkido utilizes more than 1100 core techniques, which are intuitively modified or combined to create thousands of variations. Self-defense techniques are characterized by a constant flow of striking, blocking, holding, and throwing techniques. Constant motion and fluid circular movements are designed to blend with an opponent's force. Tactics often alternate between highly aggressive and defensive modes, with power being generated through use of one's entire body. Internal energy development is fundamental to all training, leading to increased health and greater efficiency in self-defense techniques.

Hapkido techniques are not only for self-defense. Meditation and healing techniques are used to develop emotional stability, peace of mind, and confidence, while providing the same health benefits found in other arts, such as Tai Chi Cuan and Qi Gong. Thus, Hapkido is a highly practical self-defense art with strong spiritual underpinnings.

In contemporary society, Hapkido is mostly practiced for self-defense, health, and spiritual growth. Although it is often compared to Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Ju Jitsu, Judo and Tai Chi Chuan, it has a much broader range of techniques, suitable in a winder range of situations. This has made it adaptable to a wide range of body physiques, personalities, and lifestyles. Hapkido is currently practiced by a diverse range of men, women, and children of all ages; working professionals; gifted athletes; the physically impaired; those simply seeking physical exercise; as well as military and law enforcement professionals.

-Marc Tedeschi (5th Dan Black Belt Hapkido)

I'll just add that it is probably the most well-rounded and street-effective art that you can learn, IMO. Plus, it has legality in mind. With some other 'eclectic' arts - you just learn how to hurt the guy - with the breadth of techniques in what I'm learning, you can hurt or restrain him, or break bones - and it's completely up to you. And finally, its ingenious because it combines pressure points with joint locks, so the guy's arm is in pain and is numb while you're putting it in a lock, or whatever. It's kind of like a double-whammy, and this isn't really found in any other art.

Hapkido is illegal and untouchable filth ever since the movie Billyjack. Check it out if you must, but be warned, it's terrible.

Adam, didn't you know that drugs were bad for you?

But when I was in a street fight situation, my Aikedo came in very handy.

I'd love to hear the whole story, Xev.

I'm in Taekwon-Do for the moment, but my instructor advised me to add Jiu Jitsu He says : the best ever martial art what you can learn is when you mix a lot of them together, which I will soon do. Just have to find a good club.
Don't think of leaving TKD though.
What do yout think of Jiu Jitsu?

IMO, Tae Kwon Do could get you killed in a real street fight. Ju Jitsu, is excellent, and will keep you alive - however - it mostly just emphasizes joint locks, holds, throws, and a very limited number of strikes.

IMO, this is just a small subset of techniques that you should know to be a well rounded fighter, and Hapkido takes all the good stuff from Ju Jitsu - there are lots of resemblances in techniques - and adds it in to the rest of it's arsenal, making it much more well rounded.

Hapkido basically is a bunch of martial arts mixed together - and that's why it is so wicked (that's how it was created) - because it kind of takes the best from all of them, melds in all together perfectly and makes it quite well rounded.

Distortion: It sounds like you are really trying too much at once. All the styles have their advantages and disadvantages. Just find one that you like and go with it. Don't rubbish other styles, but observe and learn from them.

I know my limits. I've got lots of excellent advise and mentors that have Black Belts that know what I'm doing and give me advice. As I said, I'm only really studying Hapkido, with touches of the other styles I mentioned - that I practice a few techniques from in my backyard when a friend comes over :)

Anyway for what its worth, I think that learning martial arts is great. It's a great way to meet people, excersize, learn new things and develop comraderie.

I couldn't agree more.

And for all of you who have debated on the best style for self defense etc, I am inclined to think that what I learnt as a boxer at University has serve me the most.

I don't think there is any one 'best' style for a person - because it depends on what you want and the person. Besides, you may not always want to box the guy, what if you just want to restrain him, or what if he whips out a gun? Boxing won't help you vary much. In HKD, at black belt level you learn defense for handguns.

Anyway, sorry for the huge post!

-Distortion

thanx for the advice on Hapkido , Distortion:)
unfortunately there is no school in Latvia (I checked) :(
we're a small country

as for myself I know some dirty and lethal moves, but that of course is nothing compared to a full program

I'm now activly searching of how to upgrade my abilities, although I think that Taekwon-Do will help me against untrained idiots.:p

cheers

Distortion:
Hapkido basically is a bunch of martial arts mixed together - and that's why it is so wicked
I think you would find that most forms of martial arts these days are "mixed". It would be very difficult to find a "true form".

I don't think there is any one 'best' style for a person - because it depends on what you want and the person.
Couldn't agree more

what if he whips out a gun? Boxing won't help you vary much. In HKD, at black belt level you learn defense for handguns.
hmm for someone who seems to understand so much about the arts, this seems a very contradictory statement. Anyway as long as you are happy with your choice.

The Chosen
Nuff' said. Any form of wrestling is better than all that other crap (Tae Kwan Doe, etc.).
Even the form of wrestling where all you do is flex your steriod enhance muscles and scream into the camera?:D

Wrestling makes you tough and able to take hits
Never heard of Sanchin kata have you?:)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what if he whips out a gun? Boxing won't help you vary much. In HKD, at black belt level you learn defense for handguns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmm for someone who seems to understand so much about the arts, this seems a very contradictory statement. Anyway as long as you are happy with your choice.

I don't see how it's contradictory...
Is it about the handgun self defense? Well - you learn about 8 of them - basic disarmanment techniques from all kinds of angles, to my knowledge. And, in most cases - a knowledge of boxing won't help you in a fight - because, there's no weapons, avoidance, or ground techniques. You go down, you really go down, because you don't know what to do. Of course, if you're a proficient boxer you can defend yourself - but if you're profient in just about anything you could, so that's a moot point.

HKD is known as the 'Complete art of Self-Defense' - that's why things like hand guns are included.

I think you would find that most forms of martial arts these days are "mixed". It would be very difficult to find a "true form".

Well, this is obviously true - even the most generic form of Karate that you can form has evolved from other systems of Arts mixed and whatnot as it is passed down through the centuries. What I was pointing out was that HKD takes this to almost a different level than anything else you could study - it's extremely well rounded. There are techniques in it from prettymuch all of your classical arts, with new innovations, weapons fighting..ect.

--

On another note - I've only been actually practicing MA for mere months, so most of my knowledge comes from reading a couple books, magazines, and forums over the couple months that I've held the interest, so I wouldn't say I 'understand so much about the arts' - but I hope to :) And, thanks.

-Distortion

Perhaps someone can help me with this. I read a book on martial arts some while ago, and it included a reference, in the section about ninjas, about a style thingy in China that were called lin kui, or something like that. They were basically Chinese ninjas. Does someone have more information about this? I'd like to learn more.

"Nuff' said. Any form of wrestling is better than all that other crap (Tae Kwan Doe, etc.)."

Wrestling makes you tough and able to take hits"

Haha. First of all I don't know what kind of martial arts training you've had but I sure as hell learnt how to take hits!!!!! I remember my first post blackbelt tournament and I had to fight outside my age group (I was 13 at the time) and I got my ass royally whipped!!! Not only that but day in day out we had to have sparring at the end of class and after a certain level (I think it was green belt) we had no equipment and actually fought each other.
And when I did Kung-Fu my master use to fight me!!! You want to talk about a beating???

And all that crap is useless in real life? You must be kidding! Tae-kwon-do on it's own, karate on it's own or judo on it's own are not 100% useful against a good street fighter, I'll give you that. However, if someone (such as myself!) takes multiple forms of martial art (kung-fu, tae-kwon-do, ju jitsu) they will be much more of a rounded fighter than any wrestler.

And what kind of pussy ass fights do you get involved in?? All of them end up as wrestling matches? The times I've been in fights they've ended up either as full out brawls or with my opponent swiftly finding himself on the ground thanks to 8 years of training as a fighter. Believe me, if you know how to fight one shot to the head or one swift kick to the knee will end a street fight in no time.

Back