Net "Hate Speech" Threatened

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
The Council of Europe has adopted a measure that would criminalize Internet hate speech, including hyperlinks to pages that contain offensive content… Specifically, the amendment bans "any written material, any image or any other representation of ideas or theories, which advocates, promotes or incites hatred, discrimination or violence, against any individual or group of individuals, based on race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin, as well as religion if used as pretext for any of these factors."

(Full text here)
If it's a website explicitly encouraging violence would you support this ban, or is this an example of a law that will be used to close down ANY site that the Government du jour doesn't like.

Peace.

• -- King Boudewijn I, King of Belgium (1934-1993)

I'd rather even idiots like this be allowed to run free than see this sort of NAZI book-burning law introduced.

Originally posted by Adam
I'd rather even idiots like this be allowed to run free than see this sort of NAZI book-burning law introduced.

Does anyone take Stormfront seriously? They follow a Jewish religion.

And people make fun of kentucky because we let the KKK make speechs in Freedom Hall downtown. Well I was at that speech. I was outside with a sign that said "Go home Rednecks." Well, they were already home....:bugeye:

But still. THey have that right, so do I. And everyone else should to. Once you start making it illegal to say "I hate those one people people." then you've lost everything.

An Interesting & Related Issue

There's a case in The State of Victoria, Australia, that could make all of this irrelevant. In a nutshell, an Australian Businessman is suing the online version of Forbes magazine for libel and defamation of character over allegations that he used the services of a money "launderer".

If the businessman wins the argument over just where the magazine is "Published", then the (rather limited) discussion in this thread might become meaningless. Forbes is arguing that the online edition is "published" at their servers in New Jersey, U.S.A, while the plaintiff is arguing that the magazine is " published" on the computer accessing the server. If the plaintiff wins this case, then the First Amendment protection goes out the window, with all the consequences that might entail. Currently, the court of Victoria handling this case is consulting various bodies, including the press, over the various ramifications.

I cannot find a web link right now, sorry.

Peace.

• -- King Boudewijn I, King of Belgium (1934-1993)

me

its not about banning hate
didnt they learn from the pigs that turned into humans in orwells animal farm?
woudnt taking such measures turn these so called anti hate people into the haters that they hate so much

"I may not like what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"

I'd just like to take a moment to note that as stated, that bill doesn't outlaw hate of homosexuals. Don't worry, guys' we'll always be here for you to piss on!

Originally posted by notme2000
"I may not like what you have to say, but I
will fight to the death for your right to say it"
Is that a quote by Voltaire? Sounds familiar.

I'd just like to take a moment to note that as stated, that bill doesn't outlaw hate of homosexuals
Are you serious!?!? See, perfect example of why this bill is stupid. It's based on opinions, and opinions vary among our fellow humans...

And yes it was Voltaire!

Hmm, the boundaries of freedom end whenever it harms others. "Freedom" to harm or abuse others is not freedom.

However that's just idealism. It's really either letting them yell and hate or risk getting innocent people sucked up into the Giant Fuzzy Pink Elephant that Stomps on anyone who disagrees with the gov't. Whoever heard of a gov't NOT abusing such a measure? If you say that a gov't can adopt a measure like that without using it as a tool to eliminate opposition, much like the McCarthy witch hunts, I'll tell you to take a deep breath, put the crack DOWN, and go to rehab. Thank you very much.

I'd choose people spitting with antiAsian hatred at me than have Big Bro's hand shove me into Asian force camps.

Yeah what zero said. Besides, hate speech doesn't really hurt except for wussies.

Actually I am just testing out colors. Never used it before.

Back