New Look at an Old Bible

PsychoticEpisode

It is very dry in here today
Valued Senior Member
A few threads and posts ago Adstar advised me to look at the Xian Bible in a more logical and rational manner than I apparently had been doing. I'd like to thank Adstar for inspiring me to examine the bible without preconceived prejudices. So I re-examined the bible. As a result I am now more confident then ever that Adstar and company's beliefs are not what they seem. I'm more convinced than ever now that atheism is the most reasonable choice. So what did I deduce from another look? I hate long posts so I'll try to be brief but no guarantee.

I don't recall anybody ever saying this and my apologies to those who have done so before. As I was contemplating the written word it suddenly dawned on me that the Bible is not a fairy tale akin to the Brothers Grimm but something along the lines of a school textbook. In fact it is somewhat a mini college primer. A compendium of everything that was known about humanity, the world and the universe.

As well as touching on the social sciences, history and human behavior it tries to deal with the real science of investigating and proving the unknown. In hindsight it is rudimentary science at best but it shows that the roots of science as we know it may have had its beginning in the Old Testament. In there many sciences we know today from Astronomy to Zoology are covered.

I really am starting to think that the Genesis author was quite a learned man. This guy was at the top of his game. He poured his heart out to try to explain how things came to be using the best information given to him. The bible is an early science paper, a thesis on man's first attempt to understand the world around him.

Cosmology 101....In the beginning, a classic cosmologist's start to a sentence. God as he appears here is the only answer the author can provide to explain the mystery of the stars' and planets' origin. People at that time were obviously concerned about how everything got here. They lacked the tools & instruments of today's researcher, so inevitably they tracked it down to God. This seems like a very logical conclusion based on what was known at the time.

God is the first scientific answer to the unexplainable. There's a lot more I could say about this and since I am trying to be brief I would like to speak about something that may contribute to this hypothesis. Noah's Ark may be nothing more than a brave attempt to explain how evidence of sea creatures appear thousands of feet above sea level. Doesn't matter if the author copied the story from someone else because it offered the best solution to the problems associated with the sea creature evidence that was available.

How the Bible became a symbol for a religious movement is up to debate but I'm beginning to think that there is some validity in claiming it is nothing more than the beginning of modern science, man questioning existence and needing answers.

Then again I could be wrong. I thought a different slant might be refreshing.

PsychoticEpisode said:
I really am starting to think that the Genesis author was quite a learned man. .

Maybe he was, but what of all the other people that have modified and added to Genesis over thousands of years? The only thing we can learn from it today is what the thinking behind it might have been all those years ago. It doesn't mean we should tear up our textbooks and start teaching kids about creationism.

even in modern theories... the probability that the universe formed by the application of energy from an outside source is high... and so... the odds for a GOD ARE as high..

are you a betting man?? or woman?

-MT

God is the first scientific answer to the unexplainable.

To some degree this is probably true... What makes the brain tick? Well we don't have all the facts in so it must be the soul which is immaterial. How does life exist? Well we don't have all the answers and understanding of evolution so it must be divine creation.

I'm on my break so if I might reply further.

even if we had all the answers, some smart guy would come along and ask questions which have not been addressed.... and so.. doubt will continue.

doubt... is the basis for faith... without doubt... you'd have alot of assured theocrates...... and they would form a religious state... which is to be avioded.

-MT

wsionynw said:
Maybe he was, but what of all the other people that have modified and added to Genesis over thousands of years? The only thing we can learn from it today is what the thinking behind it might have been all those years ago. It doesn't mean we should tear up our textbooks and start teaching kids about creationism.

Agree 100%. Science had to start somewhere. If you didn't know back then you made it up with whatever sounded plausible. God solved many problems that weighed on people's minds but is only the 1st scientific answer since there simply was not enough information to think otherwise.

Back