Now reading (The Book Thread)

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Avatar, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I like Tolstoy but I don't think I ever finished "War and Peace" for similar reasons...too long and too many characters. Even though Dickens novels are long and most of Tolstoy's other novels, I have read them and didn't feel the same way.

A thick novel is OK but a thick novel with 15 different stories going on at the same time or 100 different characters, nah, too much work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’m watching The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu and it’s riveting; I can only imagine how incredible the book is, so giving it a go. If it’s true that most books are far better than their film adaptations, anyway.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's great TV. My impression is that the standard has dropped off a little in the most recent couple of seasons, but it's still worth watching. The first few seasons are, as you say, riveting.

I haven't read the books. I think I heard somewhere that the TV show departs from the books in a number of ways. But Margaret Atwood definitely had input into the TV series.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    wegs likes this.
  8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

rereading incryptids by Seannan Mcguire. interesting that it lets monster be monsters but not overly judge them for it. especially books 9 and 10 where the man characters species is a psuedo-mammalian telepathic parasitic wasp type person.

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

The Bold and Magnificent Dream
    America's Founding Years, 1492 - 1815

By Bruce and William B. Catton

Fascinating stuff. I've read a number of Bruce Catton's works on the American Civil War, and his knack for narrative seems as evident in this work as the others. A couple of digressions into the background/backdrop of world events relating to or influencing American history seemed a bit lengthy & detracted ever-so-slightly from the main narrative, but were informative nonetheless. Plus, as I picked this hard-cover edition up at a used book sale for about 25 cents, it was well worth it. Probably shouldn't have dog-eared as many pages as I did, but historical works always prompt further research.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!