Odd moderator action in "Space observation/scientific outpost:" Thread

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by dumbest man on earth, May 28, 2014.

1. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I find it somewhat "Odd", the action that was exercised in the following Thread : http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?141689-Space-observation-scientific-outpost

5 Posts were "deleted" for being "utterly off-topic".

The Poster of the OP, Posted the following Post #6 :
    The Poster of the ^^above quoted^^ either "presumed" or "assumed" that I, dmoe, by stating Sol 3, "mean(t)" something that he referred to as "SUN/Earth L3".
    And instead of asking for any "clarification" or "elaboration" - went with that "presumption" or "assumption"!

My response - where I attempted to "clarify" and "elaborate" - that I did indeed "mean" Sol 3 - was then "deleted", for supposedly being "utterly off-topic".

My response directly addressed a "topic" presented by the Poster of the OP, in his Post #6.
    If my "response" to the "Topic" of Post #6 was "utterly off-topic", wouldn't that indicate that said "Topic" must have been "utterly off-topic" in the first place?

Why are Posts "deleted" - without any "warnings" or "bans" being proffered?
    Shouldn't the Posts remain, so that Posters can actually see what is deemed "utterly off-topic", so that they can have a better idea of what is or isn't "utterly off-topic"?

The deleted Posts, in my eyes at least, contained some other examples of conduct exhibited by the Poster of the OP, that might just be considered "rude", "insulting", "intentionally misrepresenting (twisting)another Poster words" and, last but not least, possible intentional "intellectual dishonesty".

The "deleting" of Posts serves no purpose.
    The supposedly "utterly off-topic" Posts should be "tagged" or "marked' as "Violating Forum Rules" - with the "Violations" clearly "pointed out" and explained and justified - if they truly were "Violating Forum Rules" - then the appropriate Moderator Action should be taken..."warning", or "ban",...etc.

I submit that the "deleted Posts" should be UN-DELETED and RESTORED...if for no other reason than FULL TRANSPARENCY!

Any and all members of SciForums should be held responsible for any and all Posts that they author on SCiForums!

Any and all Administrators/Moderators of SciForums should be held responsible for any and all Posts that they author on SciForums AND should also be held responsible for any and all Admin/Mod actions that they exercise!

The "deleting" of supposedly "Rule Violating Posts" only makes it harder for Members to discern or decide what is in "Violation of Forum Rules" and what is not!

Wouldn't SciForums be a better Forum, if open and honest "conduct" was exercised by all members AND Admins/Mods??

Again, I submit that the "deleted" Posts should be restored!

If restoring them would include further "Admins/Mods Action", then so be it.
    At least then, any and all other members would be able to see the "Violating" examples and know exactly how and why such "Admins/Mods Action" is impartially adjudicated and exercised.

I am interested in any and all thoughts/views on this "Odd" issue that I have presented.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Your complaint is indeed odd; it sounds like you are requestingcto be banned!

You don't seem to understand why off topic posts are deleted; they are deleted because they distract/detract from discussion of the topic. Leaving them to show what is off topic makes no sense; the topic is made clear in the OP and there are an infinite number of potential other topics that are off topic. Showing them all would be pointless and leaving them doesn't fix the distraction.

I would generally be lenient in cases of accidental/organic off topic posts, but when done on purpose it is a form of trolling and disciplinary action is warranted.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but I agree completely with Russ_Watters.

You have a habit of frequently jumping into a thread and going WAY OFF on some tangent - frequently not even remotely connected to what is under consideration - and this case is PRIME example of that.

So you should take your lumps and TRY to do better from now on.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I cannot help you with that.

What I am actually "requesting" is Open, Honest and Transparent Moderation!!

I understand fully R_W.
    I also understand that until Open, Honest and Transparent Adjudication has been completed - the "Alleged Off-Topic" Post are EVIDENCE!!!
    What possible reasoning would there be to "Delete" the EVIDENCE?

My sentiments exactly!
    I personally requested the Posts to be "restored" so that Open, Honest and Transparent Adjudication can be applied to them!
    If after that Open, Honest and Transparent Adjudication is applied - then, and only then, should any disciplinary action that is warranted be applied, to any and all Posters adjudicated to have committed the "infraction" or "violation" of Forum Rules!!

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

No need to be sorry, Read-Only, everyone is entitled to express their opinion.

For instance, I am of the "opinion" that your statement : You have a habit of frequently jumping into a thread and going WAY OFF on some tangent - frequently not even remotely connected to what is under consideration - and this case is PRIME example of that.", is NOT completely Honest.

My only Post in the Thread, prior to the "deleted" ones is the following Post #2 :
    So... please explain how suggesting "Sol 3"/Earth as the best place to build the new "Space observation/scientific outpost:", is "WAY OFF on some tangent" or "not even remotely connected to what is under consideration"???!!!
    So..."PRIME example", aye?

9. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

FURTHER ODDITIES concerning the Thread : http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?141689-Space-observation-scientific-outpost

Here is a Copy of Post #14 of the ^^above ^^ Thread :
    Since I firmly believe(now - after the fact!!), that Post #6 was possibly just some form of "Baiting", I find Trippy's Post #14 "Odd", for more than one reason.

1.) - Trippy "thinks" that "DMOE means good old Terra rather than the L3 point"???

2.) - Supposedly, Trippy has already "read" my response to paddoboy's question from Post #6 - and so has paddoboy!!

3.) - "Stupid phone." - ATTACK the ARGUMENT, NOT the person/Poster???!!!

More "Odd" behavior - Post #15 :
    So...more insights!!

1.) - paddoboy is "sure he does refer to Earth" - so WHY did he Post his Post #6 in the first place??

2.) - "Still doesn't detract from the fact that in essence Sol is not in common use," - However, in paddoboys previous Post #13(same Thread!), he makes use of the Root word "sol" (highlight by dmoe):
    3.) - "Stupid phone." - ATTACK the ARGUMENT, NOT the person/Poster???!!!

Just noticing the "ODD" events!!!

10. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No, you seem to be under the misunderstanding that such a process exists or should exist here; there is no need to retain "evidence" because no such judicial process exists. What you suggest isn't even really possible - it would take a huge amount of time and effort to decide on even the smallest moderator action, while allowing the offense to continue.
    Clearly, SF does not agree that such adjudication is necessary or due. This forum doesn't work the way you wish it would. And unlike Read Only, I'm not sorry, I'm glad because what you suggest is absurd.

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding: the comment is almost certainly actually referring to his phone, not to you; He's annoyed because his phone was giving him problems.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sorry. While I sometimes disagree with the moderation here, that was spot-on.

13. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

So...billvon, you read the "deleted Posts"?

You found nothing "Odd" about paddoboy stating : (paraphrased!) "earth orbits a sol, named the Sun", or "Sol 3 does not exist"??

Or how about when paddoboy "twisted" my words or seemingly intentionally misconstrued or misread my statements??

I Firmly believe that all of the supposedly "utterly off topic" Posts be restored - and a Full, Open and Honest study of them be made.

If it results in me, dmoe, getting a "Deserved" "Ban" - for "utterly off topic" Posting - then I have no problem at all with the "Ban" being "Permanent"!!

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

It was odd and off-topic.
    OK. Seems extreme, but if that's what you want . . .

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The facts:

[1] My first reply to dmoe was thus...
    That reply post is still there in the thread.

[2] After some meaningless replies I also said the following...or words to this effect....
    Sol 3 does not exist...it makes no sense. Our star is called the Sun.

After dmoe hinted he did not mean Earth/Sun L3, I asked the following....Please elaborate on what you mean.
    He declined to elaborate.

I only realized he was referring to Earth with his rather sarcastic/fecetious post at post 12 thus....

After doing some googling, the only inference for Sol 3 was from a fantasy Sci/Fi show Dr Who, which I have never watched.

It was obvious to me, as per usual, that dmoe was trying to derail the thread because I picked him up on the archaic terminology that is not used in general.

The IAU derides the use of Sol to describe the Sun, and gives Sun as the proper term for our star.

That's my last post to this thread, and made just to straighten out some claims which are not true.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

billvon, that is not what I "want". However, I would prefer that, to what, seems to me at least, is going on.

I honestly believe that the Posts were "deleted" for other/more than the stated "utterly off topic" reason proffered!

billvon, it may "Seem extreme" to you, but honestly, being "permanently banned" from Posting, or simply not Posting on SciForums, would not impact my "real life" one single bit!!

17. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

My Post #12 was neither "sarcastic", nor "fecetious", nor even facetious - it was my honest 100% true reasoning for building the "Space observation/scientific outpost" on Sol 3/Earth!

So..."claims which are not true"...???!!!

So...get the "deleted" posts re-Posted or undeleted or whatever - that would surely "straighten out" ANY and ALL, and not merely, "some claims which are not true."!!!

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nailed it.

I've stated, more than once that I work pretty much from 20:00 UTC to 05:00 UTC.
    I'm fairly sure I've stated each time that when I am at work I post from my phone.

In this specific instance I was trying to quote part of one of paddoboys posts, however, because of the way Android seems to treat long presses of the backspace key, I wound up deleting the portion I was trying to quote.

I gave up, after the third try.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nailed it???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I actually saw nothing to misinterpret. It was quite obvious as to what was meant and inferred, to the vast majority.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

why are you even whining about post/threads being deleted.

who cares.

it's not like there any importance to them.
    it's meaningless to anything,
    except ,your own feelings that they are.
    it's not like you're an actual scientist or anything.
    or that you would have won the nobel prize if some one seen it., right ?

21. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member