plasma vs. saliva

Plasma and saliva have nothing to do with each other. That is, they're both water-based, but I can't imagine them sharing the same chemical structure to a great degree. Saliva contains digestive enzymes. Plasma doesn't. (Or at least I'd be very VERY surprised to find that it did.)

From Wikipedia:

Saliva contains:
* Water
* Electrolytes: (2-21 mmol/L sodium, 10-36 mmol/L potassium, 1.2-2.8 mmol/L calcium, 0.08-0.5 mmol/L magnesium, 5-40 mmol/L chloride, 2-13 mmol/L bicarbonate, 1.4-39 mmol/L phosphate)
* Mucus. Mucus in saliva mainly consists of mucopolysaccharides and glycoproteins;
* Antibacterial compounds (thiocyanate, hydrogen peroxide, and secretory immunoglobulin A)
* Various enzymes. The major enzymes found in human saliva are alpha-amylase (EC3.2.1.1), lysozyme (EC3.2.1.17), and lingual lipase (EC3.1.1.3). Amylase starts the digestion of starch and lipase fat before the food is even swallowed. It has a pH optima of 7.4. Lingual lipase has a pH optimum ~4.0 so it is not activated till entering an acidic environment. Lysozyme acts to lyse bacteria. Human saliva contains also salivary acid phosphatases A+B (EC3.1.3.2), N-acetylmuramyl-L-alanine amidase (EC3.5.1.28), NAD(P)H dehydrogenase-quinone (EC1.6.99.2), salivary lactoperoxidase (EC1.11.1.7), superoxide dismutase(EC1.15.1.1), glutathione transferase (EC2.5.1.18), class 3 aldehyde dehydrogenase (EC1.2.1.3), glucose-6-phosphate isomerase (EC5.3.1.9), and tissue kallikrein (EC3.4.21.35). The presence of these products causes saliva to sometimes have a foul odor.

I don't know what makes up the contents of plasma. But I doubt it resembles saliva in the least. (Other than water.)

Here's a question.

Where does plasma come from? Is it simply excreted by cells? The excess water from the respiratory cycle? Or are there 'plasma glands' of some sort?

Back