Prayer Books

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I have taken to writing Prayer Books for Myself, My Family, and Those at Work. The only reference to Prayer Books I can find online is related to Christianity, but I see no reason why anyone can't make their own, regardless of their Religious or Spiritual leanings. In other words, It's All Good.

What do you think? Is their a fixed ownership of such things, or can we take as we like and make such things our own?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You can we take as you like and make such things our own?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's actually a rhetorical question in the sense that all such things point in the same direction.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You asked “what do you think”.
    What do you mean?

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I did. Possibly looking for agreement. Not certain. Thanx for your thoughts.

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What did you mean by “It's actually a rhetorical question in the sense that all such things point in the same direction.”

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would say all things do point in the same direction, which would be Spiritual in nature. Does it have a name? For some it does, for others it is nameless.

11. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

You could call it "Our Father who art in Heaven...". Great idea. One world religion, great.

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You might try googling Buddhist Prayer Book, Jewish Prayer Book, Muslim Prayer Book, etc.

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So they exist? I simply Googled "Prayer Book" and accepted what google returned. Good advice, Bob. I want to start a Prayer Book for My City (Portland).

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Is it hard to write a prayer book, I'll give it a shot.

"Place hands together in front of face, close eyes and ask the thin air to make you rich and famous. Frown when it doesn't happen"

Well, that was easy.

15. geordief Valued Senior Member

I think the OP's idea might possibly be more along the lines of 'Oh Lord, wondrous thou art. Bestow upon this great city your gifts and that we might achieve a fullness of satisfaction in our feelings about ourselves"

Other versions may be available.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Wow, now we have two brand new prayer books on the market. Well done.

17. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Bowser, This Portland Oregon pastor has a book:
    The Prayer Dare
    https://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Dare-Challenge-Transform-Relationship-ebook/dp/B00LA9FQ4U

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My thought was to have others write prayers for the city. I'm simply the carrier of the book.

19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Why do you need prayer books?
    I presume prayers ask God for some sort of intervention but wouldn't god know what is in someone's mind taking away the need for prayer...also if god knows all things could he not work out in an instant what needs to be done and act upon his own observation.
    All I am driving at is...what do you see as the benefit of you writing a prayer book?
    Do you think you have a style that god finds more appealing than those prayer books at the various churches etc.
    Alex

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

When I pray I just say the Lord's prayer. I, like you wrote, He does know me better then me. I'm stuck on this planet in a "human" body so I'm stuck with God. 3D dimension. I love it.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's me throwing out positive thoughts for myself and others in my life. I suppose I could do the opposite and create a book of curses, but that's not where I'm going.

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You need not even think about being negative or respond that way ... my questions were clear I wondered how prayers worked given god knows it all and presumably is in charge... I hope you enjoy your experience and that others find your efforts helpful.
    Alex