Quote or Insult?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Gustav, Oct 28, 2011.

?

Quote or Insult?

1. Quote

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Insult

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a quote obviously. Not very imaginative though.

Self quotes not allowed?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

i notice an insult vote
    care to share your reasoning and perhaps impart some wisdom?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pineal Banned Banned

I think bars provide a good litmus test arena. Walk around, make quotation marks in the air, and attribute the 'quote' to yourself or others and my guess is some of the larger patrons will use their best pedagogy to explain that quoting and insulting are not mutually exclusive. If you are lucky they will explain, as you lie their bleeding and highly receptive to new knowledge, that this is a false dilemma,
    "you short-legged pedophile."
    -Pineal.

(Though I have not voted - since I cannot vote what I believe - that was someone else.)

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

They are a great place to consume significant quantities of alcoholic beverages as well. :cheers:

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I suppose The Powers That Be considered it an insult because it was Gustav who said it.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I would vote "joke" if that was an option. When I read that post, I assumed Gustav was just trying to use a humorous manner to tell a new member to take it easy on starting threads for the sake of starting threads.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

well it turns out this bar was hosting a quotation forum that night.
    why would an entry that clearly abides by convention...the bracketing/ascription is present.......be taken out of context?

let me try again with the same example
    this is something i had said on many occasions to many individuals...

"you are a fucking idiot"

-gustav

now
    you may infer that it is directed at you but by what rationale do you do so?
    i mean, it is technically a quote, is it not? why is this fact deemed irrelevant?

will i be banned again by james for this?

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Now, these have mighty potential for insult:

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Because Nobody has exhibited a trend of posting stupid content, many people are going to look at his new posts under the context of "what stupid thing am I going to read now.". Your quote was probably interpreted under that context, but did you honestly not realize that would probably be the case as you wrote that post?

14. superstring01 Moderator

Can I vote both? I sorta feel like you were trying to make a somewhat insulting point, and I realize you may have been quoting yourself. I mean, you weren't exactly being Mr. Niceguy.

~String

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

i thought it quite funny and it was cause for a rubber neck . The first impulse was as an insult then I realized it as a quote and then I laughed out loud .

Love it Love It love it . I also thought some mod might ban Gussy . Or I really thought sense I already new Gus was banned before I saw it . That must be what got Gussy Banned .

To funny

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The remark is certainly in quotation marks on a thread that is soliciting quotations.

The timing and placement of the remark, (immediately after the O.P.) and the implicit suggestion that it is attributable to Gustav, did leave me with the impression that the remark was one that bore two meanings.

Perhaps the remark would have been better attributed to 'Anonymous' in which case it would be clearly defensible as a quote.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

so in order to infer the insult interpretation, would you be editing the post?
    for instance, would one be removing the bracketing/ascription so it appears like ....

you are a fucking idiot

...that?

echoing sam... are self quotes not allowed?

would you two also reword and do a temporal displacement on the quote? make the past, the present?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yes it's a quote, but it was clearly meant as an insult.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

man!
    i insulted nobody

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nobody cares

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Without quotation marks, the remark is an insult.

Within quotation marks, the remark is a quotation that presents as an insulting self quote.

It is the first post in response to the O.P. and uses a pronoun, thereby conveying insult to the O.P.

Were it to come as a later post, the remark could still be perceived as insulting, yet a less personally directed insult.

Signal makes the case quite clearly that other responses also have the potential to be interpreted as insults.

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

LOL......you do quite adore mischievous double speak.

:spank:

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Naughty adoucette, doing the double play as well, lol....