Rarest Cancer

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
What is the rarest cancer? Can you get hair cancer? I've never heard of anyone getting toe cancer. If you can get bone cancer, can you get tooth cancer?

What is the rarest cancer? Can you get hair cancer? I've never heard of anyone getting toe cancer. If you can get bone cancer, can you get tooth cancer?

I assume cancer is only limited by the space it needs to grow into a tumor, I doubt hair cancer is possible since most of a hair is already dead cells, naturally a tumor can be anywhere in your body, I had one between my lung and my spinal column I suppose you might be able to get tooth cancer but I believe bone cancer is found in the bone marrow and I'm pretty sure teeth don't have any marrow.

i think cancer of the stem cells seems to be the rarest from what i have herd. They only discoved this was what it was recently, it looks like a specific cancer (for instance breast cancer) but there is no primary cancer. All the tumors they discover (which tend to be the whole way around the body) are secondaries

i think cancer of the stem cells seems to be the rarest from what i have herd. They only discoved this was what it was recently, it looks like a specific cancer (for instance breast cancer) but there is no primary cancer. All the tumors they discover (which tend to be the whole way around the body) are secondaries

Do you have a link?

AURGH!!! Of course. Haven't we been down this path? A science forum with nothing to back up what you say. Quit doing that!

orleander i will make you a deal, you do my 5000 word essay on oxygen in cells and i will find your silly cancer.

If you want to know about it do a google search, i have shown you where to start

That would be hard to discover if the cancer stem cells looked like normal somatic cells but they simply failed to work.

orleander i will make you a deal, you do my 5000 word essay on oxygen in cells and i will find your silly cancer.

If you want to know about it do a google search, i have shown you where to start

Don't have time to back up what you say, but you have time to say it. :rolleyes:
Shouldn't you be working on your paper?

And from what I gathered, all cancers start with stem cells. If they all do, it can't be very rare.
Or did I read that wrong?

no, not all cancer starts in the stem cells, most cancers start in old regular cells.

Take lukemia for instance, it starts in the cytoblasts (which are imature blood cells) not in stem cells

These cancers on the other hand start specifically IN stem cells which WOULD turn into bone marrow cells or breast cells or whatever. The difference is these float through the whole body so they show up in the lymph nodes NOT in the bone marrow (or the breast)

in other words the primary cancer is 1 or 2 cells spread across the whole body. This means the secondries spread MUCH more rapidly AND there are no symptoms which would make early detection possable. Hence the very high death rate from these cancers, though this depends what the cells were ment to be. If they are slow growing cancers like bowl for instance the death rate is still lower than a rapid one like breast cancer even though there is no primary in the breast or bowl

no, not all cancer starts in the stem cells, most cancers start in old regular cells....

I didn't see that in the links Raven provided.

Experts have long known that stem cells harvested from embryos can turn cancerous. They have been linked to leukaemias and breast cancer.

Now two research teams have found stem cells from adults can also turn into cancer, reports New Scientist.

Doesn't seem that rare.

Umm there seems to be a problem with your quote.

Embronic stem cells are NOT found in adults, im ASSUMING what they mean is they can become cancerious after injection into a pt. That isnt the same as saying thats what causes cancer any more than saying that "we know exposure to radiation can cause lukemia there for all lukemia is caused by radiation exposure"

Back