Scientists Find Prehistoric Dwarf Skeleton

sargentlard

Save the whales motherfucker
Valued Senior Member
In an astonishing discovery that could rewrite the history of human evolution, scientists say they have found the skeleton of a new human species, a dwarf, marooned for eons in a tropical Lost World while modern man rapidly colonized the rest of the planet.

The finding on a remote Indonesian island has stunned anthropologists like no other in recent memory. It is a fundamentally new creature that bears more of a resemblance to fictional, barefooted hobbits than modern humans.

Yet biologically speaking, it may have been closely related to us and perhaps even shared its caves with our ancestors.

The 3-foot-tall adult female skeleton found in a cave is believed 18,000 years old. It smashes the long-cherished scientific belief that our species, Homo sapiens, systematically crowded out other upright-walking human cousins beginning 160,000 years ago and that we've had Earth to ourselves for tens of thousands of years.

Source

Very interesting...what do you think will come out of this?

I'm wondering where it fits on our present day models of human evolution. It makes the human evolution tree more like a bush than anything else.

What I don't get is how did they didn't advance when others around them were?

Did the island itself had some influence?

This is now the third thread on this subject, one in Human Science, and another in Religion. They seemed to have caught people's imagination. I say we worship these humanoids as the devine ones.

Why do you assume they didn't advance? I think they were more advanced.

I have seen reports of this on 2 seperate occasion on "daily planet".

It realy is quite amazing all the talk going around about this.

They where under advanced.
Much like elephants found on that island (darwf elephants), they shrunk in size to adapt. Same could be said for these hobbits? Their brain size was small, but they found a few tools used for most likey hunting. They also may think they may of lived in the trees, much like monkeys sometimes do. Due to all the preditors on the ground, like Komodo Dragons.

*strokes chin* Innnnteeresting....

it is too early to say how this fits into the scheme of human evolution... more research and analysis of data is obvious... there are already established homoe erectus sites in south east asia and china that date back to more than 40,000 ya.... wonder if there are any similarites in tool technology... i dont think it would change the evolutionary model too much.. they will probably add these new guys to a branch depending on what model they decide to use...

there is evidence that homo erectus moved from south east asia to australia and neighbouring islands around 40,000 ya... i wonder if these new guys evolved from homo erectus based on environmental changes as an adaptative feature... its possible that they evolved from a common ancestor as well... hopefully, more research is published sometime soon...

Here are the abstracts of the original papers. Less to speculate for you ;) .
----
Currently, it is widely accepted that only one hominin genus, Homo, was present in Pleistocene Asia, represented by two species, Homo erectus and Homo sapiens. Both species are characterized by greater brain size, increased body height and smaller teeth relative to Pliocene Australopithecus in Africa. Here we report the discovery, from the Late Pleistocene of Flores, Indonesia, of an adult hominin with stature and endocranial volume approximating 1 m and 380 cm3, respectively—equal to the smallest-known australopithecines. The combination of primitive and derived features assigns this hominin to a new species, Homo floresiensis. The most likely explanation for its existence on Flores is long-term isolation, with subsequent endemic dwarfing, of an ancestral H. erectus population. Importantly, H. floresiensis shows that the genus Homo is morphologically more varied and flexible in its adaptive responses than previously thought.
---
Excavations at Liang Bua, a large limestone cave on the island of Flores in eastern Indonesia, have yielded evidence for a population of tiny hominins, sufficiently distinct anatomically to be assigned to a new species, Homo floresiensis. The finds comprise the cranial and some post-cranial remains of one individual, as well as a premolar from another individual in older deposits. Here we describe their context, implications and the remaining archaeological uncertainties. Dating by radiocarbon (14C), luminescence, uranium-series and electron spin resonance (ESR) methods indicates that H. floresiensis existed from before 38,000 years ago (kyr) until at least 18 kyr. Associated deposits contain stone artefacts and animal remains, including Komodo dragon and an endemic, dwarfed species of Stegodon. H. floresiensis originated from an early dispersal of Homo erectus (including specimens referred to as Homo ergaster and Homo georgicus) that reached Flores, and then survived on this island refuge until relatively recently. It overlapped significantly in time with Homo sapiens in the region, but we do not know if or how the two species interacted.

Back