NMSquirrel

OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12
Valued Senior Member
bible study sent me home with an assignment,

find the Baptist creed online and bring it in,
found out there is no real creed, one source states;

another says;

that last link has some interesting comments in it,
Knowing answers seduces us into making pronouncements on homosexuality, AIDS, marriage problems, teen-age pregnancies, abortion, sex education or whatever is coming down the pike.

in a nutshell the articles say we can believe what we want to believe,(reasonability expected), so that lines up with the users who post here in the religion forum (most of them anyway)..

in a nutshell the articles say we can believe what we want to believe,(reasonability expected), so that lines up with the users who post here in the religion forum (most of them anyway)..

Where do you think Baptists got their infernal reputation from?

Sure, according to a Baptist, a person can believe whatever they want to believe, but if you don't believe the same things as the Baptist standing right before believes, you deserve to burn in hell for all eternity!!!

My Grandfather was a famous Hard Shell Baptist Preacher . He traveled all over the country Preaching . He Preached Frequently at a Church outside of Atlanta that was right at the site of the Troop Hurt House were his brother Lucien Phillip Greathouse was killed in the civil war just before Sherman and his army took Atlanta and burned it to the ground . I thought that was strange . I been to the Church and the historic sign designating the battle is right there in the yard . The House is a private resident except the new owner has restored it to pristine condition of the church . He kept the church aspects . It looks like a Fucking Church inside and out instead of a resident . The new owners were kind enough to give Me and my Family the grand tour . That is pretty good people to let strangers like me in there house like that . There is at least one of My Grandfathers writings on the internet . He wrote for the "Sign of the Times" publication. I was excited as can be when I read the letter on the internet . It is strange to learn something about your Grandpa from some distant stranger on the internet like that. The hard shell baptist movement is about died out now . It use to be one of the strongest churches in America . They where not big on recruiting new members at a certain point of the churches history . I think they stop taking converts . There own Demise is what it caused ! That is what old folks in the Church told me . That is were I got it . My Uncle is baptized in the Hard Shell Baptist Church . I think he could cause of the family tie to the Baptist . I don't know for sure ? Maybe they changed policy as they look at there own endings

If you go fishing with a Baptist, be sure to invite another. That will keep the first one from drinking all your beer.

Sure, according to a Baptist, a person can believe whatever they want to believe, but if you don't believe the same things as the Baptist standing right before believes, you deserve to burn in hell for all eternity!!!

i am not an expert on any religion, but the church that i am currently attending is baptist and they are not like that,i have not heard them once say anything about believe/do this or go to hell..in fact my pastor asks 'by what authority does man claim that another can go to hell? it is not for man to determine who goes to hell, it is Gods'

bible study sent me home with an assignment,

find the Baptist creed online and bring it in,
found out there is no real creed, one source states;

"No creed but the Bible" has been Baptists' mantra from their emergence as a distinctly identifiable group"

My understanding of the American Baptist Church (the 'Northern' Baptists) is that's basically the view they take. Biblical interpretation is individual. As a result, a wide variety of theological views exist among the church's members, from evangelical to all kinds of theological liberalism.

But there are lots of different kinds of Baptists out there. The Southern Baptists seem to typically (but not always) be more theologically conservative. And there are many smaller denominations and countless independent Baptist congregations. Many of these originally split off from larger church organizations because of some disagreement over doctrine, often because they felt that the parent church was being corrupted by theological liberalism. The theological tone in individual congregations depends in large part on the personality of the preacher and congregation, I guess.

I've seen a number of Baptist Bible colleges with very strict "statements of faith" that all faculty and students are required to adhere to. These typically call or belief in Biblical inerrancy, and sometimes even for belief in a literal six-day creation.

So I guess that many of the more theologically conservative Baptists do kind of create what amount to creeds of their own, applicable to their own individual congregations. But historically, I don't think that the Baptists have ever had a single church creed that's applicable to all Baptists.

Most people have no idea what differentiates their sect of Christianity from another.

i am not an expert on any religion, but the church that i am currently attending is baptist and they are not like that,i have not heard them once say anything about believe/do this or go to hell..in fact my pastor asks 'by what authority does man claim that another can go to hell? it is not for man to determine who goes to hell, it is Gods'
Come visit a Southern Baptist church in Texas.

My Grandfather was a famous Hard Shell Baptist Preacher . He traveled all over the country Preaching . He Preached Frequently at a Church outside of Atlanta that was right at the site of the Troop Hurt House were his brother Lucien Phillip Greathouse was killed in the civil war just before Sherman and his army took Atlanta and burned it to the ground . I thought that was strange . I been to the Church and the historic sign designating the battle is right there in the yard . The House is a private resident except the new owner has restored it to pristine condition of the church . He kept the church aspects . It looks like a Fucking Church inside and out instead of a resident . The new owners were kind enough to give Me and my Family the grand tour . That is pretty good people to let strangers like me in there house like that . There is at least one of My Grandfathers writings on the internet . He wrote for the "Sign of the Times" publication. I was excited as can be when I read the letter on the internet . It is strange to learn something about your Grandpa from some distant stranger on the internet like that. The hard shell baptist movement is about died out now . It use to be one of the strongest churches in America . They where not big on recruiting new members at a certain point of the churches history . I think they stop taking converts . There own Demise is what it caused ! That is what old folks in the Church told me . That is were I got it . My Uncle is baptized in the Hard Shell Baptist Church . I think he could cause of the family tie to the Baptist . I don't know for sure ? Maybe they changed policy as they look at there own endings
M*W: My beloved Granny from East Tennessee always made a point to tell anyone she was talking to that she was a Hard Shell Baptist. She would remind me of that every time she was switching my legs with a hickory switch (which was pretty often). She never went to church, though, because everyone who goes to church think they are "holier-than-thou."

I found your post to be interesting and was wondering where your Grandfather was from. My Granny (born 1891 near Morristown, TN) attended the Macedonia Primitive Baptist School and Church. The waters of Cherokee Lake covers their homestead when Granny was born, but the school and church still stand.

What is it that Hard Shell Baptists believe?

Most people have no idea what differentiates their sect of Christianity from another.

The Baptists are not a sect. There are just as much variation within the Baptist movement as there are in the number of denominations in the church movement.

As has already been stated they do not have a standard statement of faith. So that allows for a wide variety of belief.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

As has already been stated they do not have a standard statement of faith. So that allows for a wide variety of belief.

Not to derail the thread, but I think that is one of my major disagreements with their philosophy. If two of them disagree, then they cant both be right. Divine doctrines and tenets are not matters of opinion, unless their God truly is their own creation, or a push-over. The Gospel cant be that subjective.

M*W: My beloved Granny from East Tennessee always made a point to tell anyone she was talking to that she was a Hard Shell Baptist. She would remind me of that every time she was switching my legs with a hickory switch (which was pretty often). She never went to church, though, because everyone who goes to church think they are "holier-than-thou."

I found your post to be interesting and was wondering where your Grandfather was from. My Granny (born 1891 near Morristown, TN) attended the Macedonia Primitive Baptist School and Church. The waters of Cherokee Lake covers their homestead when Granny was born, but the school and church still stand.

What is it that Hard Shell Baptists believe?
There are lots of Greathouse's in Tennessee. My Grandfather was from Vandalia Illinois . His Family was anyway . I would have to check to make sure He personally was from there as the family was farmers and bought and sold land quite a bit. Virgina was another state with a presents. He lived there too , but I think it was when he was older and Farming on his own . They were Attorneys too and his father rode the same circuit as Abraham Lincoln . They both served as public servants in the Illinois Legislature at the same time . I think there is a Greathouse elementary school some were in Tennessee . I think ?
The primitive baptist believe in predestination from what I understand about my grandfathers writings . They are predestination baptist which splinted off from another baptist movement in the Americas . They may have splintered off while still in Europe . I don't know for sure . Anyway I have not found to much difference in there theology from Fundamental Christian thinking of today except for the stout belief in predestination . Fire and brimstone seems to be key and spoil the rod soil child harshness . It is kind of funny as there was a major generation gap between my 1st cousins and my self . They dead now as they were 40 to 60 years my seniors. The funny thing is there thought process were more inline with mine and my father was more in line with there fathers . You would think there would be a generation gap between Me and my first cousins being separated by time . It was weird because there bitches and complaints about parents were identical to use young cousins which there was 6 of us young cousins and about 25 or 30 older 1st cousins . They sounded just like us younger cousins when we talked about the parents . So strange for they say what hard asses there dad was which was a refection of Grand Father him self . Stoic is my best description from the information my cousins gave me . They lived and grew up around Him and He was long dead by the time I was born . He died when my father was 2 . So strange for my children act more like the old cousins children too . So strange . It is like the evolution process is not broken by time , but only occurs from generation to generation, independent of historical time slots .

My Uncle Lou sent Me 3 letters written by my Grandfather he has been coveting for 80 years . I have not read them yet . Only half of the first page of the first letter . I was crying for 3 days when they came in the mail and it was a couple weeks after Easter approx. The half page was talking about the Weeping Man who came on the 3rd day . It made Me cry more and I have not been able to read the rest as of yet . The timing of receiving the letters was to much of a mystic event for my personal life and it is causing Me to be reluctant to read any further until my delusions subside a bit more.

My Uncle is going to send more of the letters as time goes on and this is the start of a series of his writings which I think were all published in issues of "The Sign of the Times " publications put out by the church in the late 1800's and early 1900s . I googled it before and could not find much on the internet except that one person posted a letter that published . Like I said that was strange to read my Grandfathers writing on the internet like that . After I work up the gumption to read the letters I will let you know what they say if you like. There does seem to be an ideology revolving around transformation on the 3rd day , or to say the resurrection. I guess that could be said of almost all Christians though

Not to derail the thread, but I think that is one of my major disagreements with their philosophy. If two of them disagree, then they cant both be right. Divine doctrines and tenets are not matters of opinion, unless their God truly is their own creation, or a push-over. The Gospel cant be that subjective.

Found this joke once:

---

A man is standing on the guardrail of a bridge, high above the freezing water, about to jump in. Another man comes by, and begins to talk to him. They have this exchange:
Second man: "Don't jump. There is so much to live for in this lifetime, so much happiness to experience."
First man: "There is no reason for me to live."
Second man: "Suicide is a sin. You will burn in hell for all eternity if you kill yourself."
First man: "Oh, I see you believe in God. You are a Christian?"
Second man: "Yes, I am, and I believe in God. Don't you believe in God?"
First man: "Well, actually, I do ..."
Second man: "Oh, this is great. That said, don't jump."
First man: "But I really don't see any point to my life."
Second man: "What church are you?"
First man: "I am a Baptist."
Second man: "I am a Baptist too. What a coincidence! From which convention?"
First man: "The Southern Baptist Convention."
Second man: "Excellent, me too! From which seminary are you?"
First man: "The Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary."
Second man: "Bah! off with you!" [pushes the first man over into the deep freezing water ...]

Not to derail the thread, but I think that is one of my major disagreements with their philosophy. If two of them disagree, then they cant both be right.

Correct. But from a Christian perspective it does not really matter if they are disagreeing on a minor point of unimportant doctrine. If the disagree on a core issue of salvation then it is serious to a Christian.

Divine doctrines and tenets are not matters of opinion, unless their God truly is their own creation, or a push-over. The Gospel cant be that subjective.

The Gospels can be misinterpreted for sure. It gives a path for the religious to go who do not have the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

um..what adstar said..

Where do you think Baptists got their infernal reputation from?

Oh yeah, I live in Southern Babtist country Signal, you nailed it!

Back