Should science replace religion?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, May 7, 2019.

1. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

I would certainly put that responsibility on both. Even so, and in context of the statements made this far, how is this relative to the conversation? Blame man for our depleting resources, blame population, blame choices of travel destinations and carry on items, or would it be better to simply be more mindful of our actions? If the latter, then who should be responsible for the transfer of data in terms of teaching basic principles to a growing population of people? Mass media, educational institutions, parents?? All the above maybe? I guess the issue gets complicated by younger generations who may or may not have adopted an attitude against figures of authority able to understand the fallout of less responsible behavior.

Stubborn people to put it simply. Resistance to religious thought, resistance to social cultivators who seem far too rigid to desire a lesson from, and I think this comes quite naturally to us in general, particularly as youths. We get, you're too old to understand, then under breath a snide "you self righteous hypocrite" just audible enough to make you want to punch someone square in the jaw.

Religion isn't to blame, but sometimes our parenting is. This is true even in our learning institutions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree in general. But it is clear that religion does not understand the consequences of "be fruitful and multiply" that is currently the cause for laws against a woman's right to abort an unwanted pregnancy and depriving her from autonomy over her own body.
    The "Establishment Clause" was designed to fill a dual purpose;
    a) prevent the establishment of a theocracy
    b) prevent government from interfering with the practice of religion.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.