sweet lies VS cold truths

what would you tell your kid: heaven or oblivion

• eternal aftherlife with the family and loved ones (pet's included offcourse)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Dopamine rush (if your lucky) in a crashing system to unawareness

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I tell you when you get older

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

orcot

Valued Senior Member
I've read a interesting web comic today
I especially liked the commentary. So'l ask
This is something I wonder about myself. I don't think I'm ever gonna have kids, but if I did I don't know what I would say when they inevitably asked "what happens when you die?"

1295.png

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1295

Last edited:
I'll tell my kid the truth:
Humanity can't really seem to come to a conclusion on that/figure that out yet.
Some people believe this. Some people believe that, but no one can seem to come up with any proof.

Let them decide by offereing them as many things about what is out in the world today. Education will then be their guide.

Last edited:
I believe in rebirth. Here's my proof. Energy and matter are not created nor lost, just changed. Now think about it. When we are buried our bodies decompose, the decomposed parts form plants, plants for trees. Some trees haev fruit. We eat the fruit. So essentially we are eating what remains of dead things just in a different state. So i believe that you are reborn eventually, but you have a new consciousness with no prior memory of course.

fedr808 said:
I believe in rebirth. Here's my proof. Energy and matter are not created nor lost, just changed. Now think about it. When we are buried our bodies decompose, the decomposed parts form plants, plants for trees. Some trees haev fruit. We eat the fruit. So essentially we are eating what remains of dead things just in a different state. So i believe that you are reborn eventually, but you have a new consciousness with no prior memory of course.

Doesn't quite make it to the top ten list of all-time non sequiturs, but it deserves an honourable mention.

I would let them come to their own conclusions, but would point out any flaws or lack of evidence from which any such conclusion might suffer.

The question of what death *is* comes before the question of what comes after death.
So far, the second question hasn't come up with my children.

For the first, I think the question came up in the context of road safety or some other health and safety issue (maybe snakes, spiders, peanut allergies, sunscreen, disease, poisons... so many, when you think about it!) we explain why certain rules are important by explaining some things that might happen otherwise. I know that we've mentioned death as a unlikely worst-case scenario at least once, and I think we said something like...
When someone dies, it means we never see them again. They go to sleep and never wake up. They are gone - they can never, ever come back, no matter how much we miss them. If you die, we would be very, very sad, because we could never, ever see you or talk to you or give you hugs and kisses again.
The intent was to convey the seriousness of death. In that context, death is not something to be reduced in magnitude by introducing the concept of afterlife.

When the second question comes up the first time, I don't think it will be time for deep scientific analysis. It will be a time for comfort. Kids need comfort. Perhaps I'll say that I don't know, and that nobody knows for sure, but that maybe when you die it's like going to sleep forever, or that maybe the person who died can still see and hear us even if we can't see them. Or, perhaps I'll just present the easy fiction of Heaven. It will depend on the circumstances at the time.

Later as they learn to think more deeply, we can examine and criticise various death philosophies.

On a side note...
It's interesting that children (and adults) have no problem with the concept of death for animals and people with which they have no personal relationship. That spider (we just squished) is dead... that cat (by the side of the road) is dead... that man (on the news, or on that TV show, or on that video game) is dead... Benny's dad (who I don't know, but I go to school with Benny) is dead. Children have no problems at all with those ideas. In that non-personal context, dead means dead. Inert. Devoid of all activity. A non-living thing. The life of that thing is gone.

It's only with people and pets that we have constructed a deep and persistent model of within our selves, those who are part of us, for whom we feel grief. A child cannot let go of the persistence of that person's internal representation... that is why they ask where that person is, even when they know the person is dead. That the person might no longer be is not a possible conception... it is quite literally unthinkable. I think that's where the idea of afterlife comes from... it's not the question of our own post-death persistence that troubles us most, its the question of "Where is Mummy?" and (even more heart-wrenching) "When will she come back from Heaven?" (Not that I've had to deal with those questions. And I dearly hope I never do.)

To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream...

To actually address the poll...
If my son (seven years old) asked me today out of the blue what happens when you die, I would say that I don't know, and that nobody knows for sure, but...
That I think it must be a bit like going to sleep forever.
I'd say that we know what happens to your body - it rots to skeleton and then dust if buried, or burns to ash if cremated.
I'd say that some people think that your spirit doesn't die, that you can keep thinking even without a body. Maybe this is like when you dream when you're asleep.
I might say that some people think that your spirit is born into something else, like an animal or a new baby.
I might say that some people think that you can't have a spirit without a body, so being dead really is like sleeping forever - a nice, deep sleep with no bad dreams or any dreams at all, and not ever having to get up in the morning.

Actually, yeah. I like that last one. It should be on the poll.

Death is like sleeping forever - a nice, deep sleep with no bad dreams or any dreams at all, and not ever having to get up in the morning.
--Pete

What would you say if a kid's mother died and he asked you where she was? Or how she was?

What would you say if a kid's mother died and he asked you where she was? Or how she was?

I'd be honest yet tactful as to her dying and show them her grave where she was buried. I'd also tell the child long before about death so they should already know that it is a natural thing that happens to all of us sooner or later.

Back