Targeting Spam.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by kwhilborn, Jun 17, 2013.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I recently noticed a Spammer who was banned and came back under new name and posted exact same ad.

FIRST:
    I'd like to make a point that even though this guy is now banned until he makes a new name his ad is set in stone and Sciforums will host it for many years.

If I make a username called "Bogususername" and place this ad,

Now even if a moderator bans me for spam that is fine because my ad will remain on dozens of search Engines for Eternity (or at least many more years) hosted by Sciforums.

Someone Google's "Hair design anywhere street 90210" and their ad will come up hosted by sciforums.

I am Starting this thread because the only way to thwart being targeted by advertisers is to delete the offending ads while banning the offender. Once the ad is in place banning has no effect. Once that particular thread fades from our memories Sciforums is still hosting their ads.

Here is one such ad where member is banned but ad remains. This may not last as I reported it and am also mentioning it here
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...-it-Develops&p=3073361&viewfull=1#post3073361

so if that link takes you to an empty ad then that particular advertiser may have been thwarted..

Except...

They made a new name and redid the ad a few places below, and this account is still active (at time of posting). (it also has been reported).
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...-it-Develops&p=3079726&viewfull=1#post3079726

The point I am making is that Banning is not enough. Deleting the Spam also should occur if Sciforums wishes to avoid targeting by this new age of spammers.

The spammer being banned should also have their posts examined, as they have likely put their spam on a variety of unpopular topics that will get buried soon, yet hosted forever.

If this is not a concern to Moderators or Sciforums management then ignore this practice and continue as normal. I just thought I would point it out that we might be becoming targeted for allowing ads to be hosted here. We might be on some sucker list they share.

Anyways... just saying...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

As bad as this may sound, some of the worst spam is actually more interesting than many of the actual posts here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyways...just saying...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

lol.. Yes. That was an excellent example. (nudge,wink, say no more)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most of the time Spam will be deleted when it's banned, sometimes though some of the moderators don't have the privilege's to use the Delete/Ban method so they have to do it manually. If you spot some still being visible, just through a report at it and it will get dealt with.

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Yes. I do. I just thought it might not be common knowledge among moderators here. I know you are a programmer and have helped me in the past, but many may not realize you carry these ads for long periods if they are not removed.

I thought it was worth mentioning in a thread anyways.

Cheers.