Thank You Sciforums for Your Support

quinnsong

Valued Senior Member
These past few months have been very trying for me due to the deployment of my husband to Afghanistan. All of you here are partially responsible for helping me get through this uncertain and scary time. My husband skyped me on the 28th crying, his battalion had lost two young men that day and I tried my best to lift his morale and to some extent I did with the goings on at sciforum, which did garner a few laughs from him. So thank you again, for your support.

These past few months have been very trying for me due to the deployment of my husband to Afghanistan. All of you here are partially responsible for helping me get through this uncertain and scary time. My husband skyped me on the 28th crying, his battalion had lost two young men that day and I tried my best to lift his morale and to some extent I did with the goings on at sciforum, which did garner a few laughs from him. So thank you again, for your support.

I am sorry to hear about his loss... I cannot imagine seeing someone I'd worked so closely with pass, no matter the circumstance. I wish you and he all the best and hope that he can come home soon!

I am sorry to hear about his loss... I cannot imagine seeing someone I'd worked so closely with pass, no matter the circumstance. I wish you and he all the best and hope that he can come home soon!

Thanks Kitt. He should be home in a couple of months, I just feel especially nervous right now because it is spring there and that means even more danger for security forces.

Thanks Kitt. He should be home in a couple of months, I just feel especially nervous right now because it is spring there and that means even more danger for security forces.

Indeed... the whole deployment over there had me rather confused from day one... I mean, at the start we sent virtually unarmored HMMWVs over there... just blew my mind. I dunno... I feel bad for the "ground pounders" so to speak... they bear the brunt of every decision made by the people sitting back at home... and sometimes those desk jockies just don't' know what's actually going on since they aren't there.

Please tell your husband his service to his country, is highly appreciated...

I served in Lebanon in '83 and in Kuwait in '91... I lost some good friends. Many think we deserve what we get,when we enlist. Maybe so...

I wish your husband the best, and hope he returns safe and sound...

I also appreciate what you're going through. Be strong, and keep a good thought.

My father died in Vietnam... His friends that managed to make it back home, were labeled as "baby killers". What bullshit... Your husband is a hero, let him know that...

Please tell your husband his service to his country, is highly appreciated...

I served in Lebanon in '83 and in Kuwait in '91... I lost some good friends. Many think we deserve what we get,when we enlist. Maybe so...

I wish your husband the best, and hope he returns safe and sound...

I also appreciate what you're going through. Be strong, and keep a good thought.

My father died in Vietnam... His friends that managed to make it back home, were labeled as "baby killers". What bullshit... Your husband is a hero, let him know that...

Thank you for your kind words Gremmie.

War is so tragic on so many levels, there are times I cannot or do not want to comprehend the why's of it. Personally, I hate that my husband is an American soldier, is that bad? I remember when they were selling the current war on the streets and in the malls of America back in the early 2000's, I recall a specific event around a decade ago, an Army recruiter was standing outside a store me and my son had been shopping in, as we were making our way to the car, he asked my son if he would like to sign up. The recruiter told my son that he could guarantee him a $50,000 sign up bonus if he passed the ASVAB and the physical, at that point I grabbed my 18 year old son by the arm and said,"Not on his life or mine." What I really felt like saying to that recruiter was," Take that fucking carrot and dangle it somewhere else."

One day we will find better ways to solve our problems,yes?

Thanks for his service and for standing by him and being as strong as you are. I will pray he returns safely. And all goes well. I had lost a friend that went to Iraq. Memories do haunt us. And I think you did good keeping your son away from the recruiter I didn't get any money for passing my ASVAB and junck because I didn't get anything in writing. Recruiters do lie a little.

Thanks for his service and for standing by him and being as strong as you are. I will pray he returns safely. And all goes well. I had lost a friend that went to Iraq. Memories do haunt us. And I think you did good keeping your son away from the recruiter I didn't get any money for passing my ASVAB and junck because I didn't get anything in writing. Recruiters do lie a little.

He is a great guy and he better get home dammit, we have plans. If not for the lively and intelligent(mostly and I include myself on occasion) discussions on this forum, I would most likely be worrying a lot more than I am. Even when reading a book my mind will lapse into imagining a lot of what ifs, not so much when interacting on sciforums.

A little? Many recruiters are shitbags, what comes to mind is a used car salesman that would sell his own mother a lemon. The reenlistment soldiers also lie quite a bit and cannot be trusted, either.

I saw your post many hours ago.I was speechless. I thought you were a retired old (bald) lady. If your husband is in active service though, I think you may be a bit younger than I imagined. But, whatever...

Little did I know my reference to lapis lazuli in the tribute to simian soldiers would set this off (lapis lazuli is primarily from Afghanistan, for those of you just tuning in) I have never served in the military because that's my heritage. My great grand daddy was a draft dodger from Napoleon III's wars, and a few of his grandsons made the mistake of submitting to the draft and the less said about that the better. I had a pal in Afghanistan, just doing medical supplies for a private firm, but he lost several mates there just the same. Rough neighborhood! What struck me is that when he returned he dissed me for never writing to him,or keeping in touch as I had promised. I gently reminded him that he had replied to several emails of mine. He sipped his drink and said after a few solid minutes of silence, 'Oh, that's right.I remember now." And he shook my hand. He had only been away seven months!

My own father who fought the Koreans from Camp Polk (now Fort Polk) Louisiana during the 'police action' was a real life M*A*S*H medic. He never saw any one like Hawkeye or Cap McIntyre, mostly he treated accidents that happened during military exercises. He tried to get me to join at least the Coast Guard, but I had to say, 'Father, I would rather live in a pup tent by the railroad tracks and collect cans for a living than join the war machine.' Dad didn't like it much, but I know Great Grandpapa Leopold would have been proud.

Your story about the mall recruiter reminded me of that scene in Fahrenheit 9/11. You know the one. Sad yet interesting fact: those two recruiters were later killed in action in Iraq. I apologize if I shouldn't have brought that up. :(

And I too will pray for your husband's safety.

Did he sign up?

Back