The prophet Peter Webley

UniMatrix

Registered Member
I have recently been told the story of the little known prophet Peter Webley, who foretold the names of the popes in order and the divisions of Christianity throughout the world.

If such a feat is to be believed, why would this be of benefit to those who are religious or seeking religion?

Can much faith be put in such "Prophets" and does the word Prophet necessarily mean that the person was given information directly from God? Was Nostradamus a prophet?

Should we believe Nostradamus any more than John the baptist?

Perhaps you can help.

I suggest you read this article for a brief overview on prophecy. Deut. 18:14-21 gives a description of a Biblical prophet.

I think there are too many people who claim to be prophets to be taken seriously. There is also a difference between prophecy and prediction (or clairvoyance). I think it is more important to find out who the "prophet" claims to represent. Prophets are supposed to be spokespeople for God (which is a big responsibility according to Deur. 18), while seers or clairvoyants are not, and usually do not.

Neither Nostradamus nor John the baptist were prophets in the strict sense of the word. As follower of Christ, and in bearing testimony to who Jesus really were, John did fulfill a prophetic function - as do all people who testify about his resurrection. But as far as predicting the future, there really is no point, since it won't get any clearer than the past.

If the benefit is only one thing - it might convince a person that the truth is not limited to what we can logically conclude.

Last edited:
Back