Trick or Treat: Man defends family, kills 12 year-old on Hallowe'en

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Source: Houston Chronicle
Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6089642.html
Title: "S.C. boy fatally shot trick-or-treating; brother, dad hurt", by Associated Press
Date: November 1, 2008

I suppose if life were like some scene out of a comic book or movie--I'm thinking specifically of The Crow--it would be easier to understand what has happened. As it is, though, it's one of those occasions where words are hard to come by:

An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.

Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital ....

.... Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.

Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.

"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.

(AP)

Mr. Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill. His brother told the AP that he believed the shooter was suffering post-traumatic stress disorder after being robbed last year. Quentin Patrick, he said, was just trying to protect his family.

Quite clearly, the self-defense notion didn't play well with the police. One wonders if Mr. Patrick even knew who he was shooting at insofar as the boys he shot were twelve and nine. Did he even look out to see who was knocking on his door?

Seriously, if it was Detroit and people were setting the town on fire for Hallowe'en, it would be easier to understand the paranoia. But in a city of 40,000 on Hallowe'en night, it doesn't seem like the first thing to do when the kids show up to trick-or-treat should be to unload an AK-47 through the door.

Hell, for all that we know the situation was probably eerily similiar to the events where patrick was shot. There are a lot of sick people who take their kids out on their crime sprees.

Realistically, this just drives home the point that you only go trick or treating to the houses of people you know. The people who knew Patrick would have known not to come a knocking. Not that I blame the victims here for this just stating the facts.

As for you who would say that this means we should get rid of all guns. It is of course poppycock. my guess is that Patrick obtained his gun illegally anyways. Even if he didn;t this would muchj like me declaring that all people with a P in their name must serve life sentences for this tragic incident.

I knew someone would try to make an excuse

TW Scott said:

Hell, for all that we know the situation was probably eerily similiar to the events where patrick was shot. There are a lot of sick people who take their kids out on their crime sprees.

Realistically, this just drives home the point that you only go trick or treating to the houses of people you know. The people who knew Patrick would have known not to come a knocking. Not that I blame the victims here for this just stating the facts.

Anything to shoot a kid, eh? (Shoot first, figure out what's actually going on later.)

Okay, more realistically, on the far coast from South Carolina, we have a custom that some might find strange. If you don't want kids knocking on your door on Hallowe'en, turn off your porch light.

why did you put the smug sunglasses emoticon on this thread?

Haven't you ever noticed?

I use it for everything. It's not exactly a signature, but it is a mark I use for my threads. If you take the time to look, it's on the overwhelming majority of my posts and threads. It's a stoner thing that predates the availability of the :m: emoticon.

The law in Texas is they have to be inside your house before you can just blast away. You can't just shoot through the door like that. I'm guessing he's going to be taking an extended vacation down in Huntsville.

The law in Texas is they have to be inside your house before you can just blast away. You can't just shoot through the door like that. I'm guessing he's going to be taking an extended vacation down in Huntsville.

yea well the front terrace before the door is still a house and inside is "inside the volume of property.

Holy shit! He shot through the door with an AK47 on Halloween? I bet meth or coke was involved. Poor kids. I bet there won't be any trick or treaters in that neighborhood next year!

And swarm is right..he's going down hard, the "Castle Law" doesn't cover firing through an unopened door at children on Halloween.

America, HELL YEAH ! Hand out guns to every nutcase, cos it's their right. It's in the constitution you know..

America, HELL YEAH! Hand out guns to every nutcase, cos it's their right. It's in the constitution you know..

No, that's not in the Constitution. A "nutcase" is not one of "we, the people". "Nutcases" shouldn't be permitted to have a gun. And, you'll note, this guy had a gun ILLEGALLY, so the Constitution doesn't back him up at all. The Constitution applies ONLY to good citizens of America, not nutcases.

By the way, I know that it's difficult for you to understand, but that AK-47 didn't do anything wrong. The wrong was done when the nutcase pulled the trigger ....the gun just did what it was designed to do ...just like a hammer or a saw or a shovel ...just tools.

Baron Max

With freedom comes responsibility.

Just so we're clear...even in Texas, you can't own a fully automatic AK 47. That's against the law.

No, that's not in the Constitution. A "nutcase" is not one of "we, the people". "Nutcases" shouldn't be permitted to have a gun. And, you'll note, this guy had a gun ILLEGALLY, so the Constitution doesn't back him up at all. The Constitution applies ONLY to good citizens of America, not nutcases.

By the way, I know that it's difficult for you to understand, but that AK-47 didn't do anything wrong. The wrong was done when the nutcase pulled the trigger ....the gun just did what it was designed to do ...just like a hammer or a saw or a shovel ...just tools.

Baron Max

lol sure, the AK-47 didn't do anything.
Having this kind of gun law makes it easier to get an illegal weapon.
The government makes guns more accessible to nut cases than should be the case.

You can't own any fully automatic weapon. There was a ban for a while on any "clip fed" semi-auto rifles for a while, but that has gone out of effect.

Right now, you could buy a semi-automatic AK-47. But it's not too hard to convert it to full auto. I love guns...but I don't think the average guy needs assault weapons.

You can't own any fully automatic weapon. There was a ban for a while on any "clip fed" semi-auto rifles for a while, but that has gone out of effect.

Right now, you could buy a semi-automatic AK-47. But it's not too hard to convert it to full auto. I love guns...but I don't think the average guy needs assault weapons.

So this kind of makes my point. By allowing semi auto's, that are easily converted, you are creating fully auto armed nut cases.
In my country you can join a gun club. You will have to train and get certified, I believe psychological tests are also done, THEN you can get a permit and buy guns. Of course you and the guns are then registered. Isn't this a much better system ?

You're supposed to register your guns here too. Although I bet this guy bought this gun out of someone's trunk.

Back