Violence

Originally posted by chaplaintappman22
Is violence ever justified?
Violence as in defending your own life or the life of an innocent?
Verbal violence ? Psychological violence?

all violence, any time. If you think violence is justified, under what cirucmstances is it justified? What type of violence is justified. And if anyone has a religious perspective on this, especially pertaining to the Christian religion, I would be interested. Thanks!
~Briana

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
violence towards ants is always justified.

apparently god acts in the bible as a human crushing people like ants at his whim. Since we are created in his image it is ok to use violence whenever if you feel you are a true christian. In fact it is your duty.

First of all, not true, and second of all, that doesn't make any sense and it doesn't answer my question. Third, I was not referring to ants I was referring to violence towards people, and I don't care about ants, so stop bringing them up. Thank you!

First of all, not true, and second of all, that doesn't make any sense and it doesn't answer my question. Third, I was not referring to ants I was referring to violence towards people, and I don't care about ants, so stop bringing them up. Thank you!

not real ants...ants is a metaphor for everybody who disagrees with your beliefs

violence towards ants is always justified.
I know you're joking but it brings up a good point, why is that? Why do most people have no problem with killing ants? Are they too physically small for us to feel sympathy for? Does it help that we can't see their faces? I'm not innocent, I'm one of the staunchest anti-animal-cruelty people I've ever met, people think I'm crazy after seeing the lengths I go to to avoid causing harm to an animal, but even I have spat on marching ant-lines to cause chaos in their lives. Its weird.

Violence is justified in nature, its what the world is based on, kill or be killed, its what makes the world go round(I hate using that phrase, no action on earth makes it go round but you get my point).
But as humans who have the means to avoid violence(we have ways of killing our food in painless humane ways) we SHOULD avoid it.
Human VS human violence can be justified. In my mind there is no other way to punish someone who has acted violent than with violence. I'm not saying the judicial system should take on this code but for everyday person to person interaction it's how it works. Nothing extreme, if someone physically hurts someone or something for no reason then that person or thing has the right to similarly retaliate. If said person or thing can't retaliate someone who can should. For example if someone walked into my house and kicked my dog I would punch them in the face and make sure my dog saw me do it. Its a natural justice. I can't think how else such a dispute could be adequately resolved.

but ghandi would probably not have hit the man who had kicked your dog. Maybe he would have thought that even this act of violence wasn't justified

If every human was completely non-violent there would be no need for any human to be violent at all. That sounds kind of dumb, aaahh punishing someone for a misdemeaner that is not violent with violence should never take place.(ie fat mother hitting her child for crying)

but ghandi would probably not have hit the man who had kicked your dog. Maybe he would have thought that even this act of violence wasn't justified
I'm not ghandi, and if you ask me the dog needs to see a form of justice HE understands or no justice has taken place whatsoever as HE was the one that was wronged.

Originally posted by Dr Lou Natic
I'm not ghandi, and if you ask me the dog needs to see a form of justice HE understands or no justice has taken place whatsoever as HE was the one that was wronged.
'

do you think that dog culture is built on justice? I would say that they probably have other things on their mind. Maybe it is important to show the dog justice because justice is very important for you and not so much for the dog????

You don't know my dog:p
He would make disapointed noises untill justice was done.

I don't think justice is strictly for people, justice is natural, our judicial system isn't natural but revenge is.

all violence, any time....
In my view all kinds of violence are unacceptable if you wouldn’t like it to have it done to you. Therefore, violence in self defense to safe and protect those not able to protect themselves, it is an acceptable counter-violence.
I do not tolerate violence against any kind of animal and do not relate or associate violence with religions.
I do not believe an eye for an eye if there are intelligence ways to go about it, and I also believe that anything obtained by violence doesn’t flourishes.
:m:

Is violence justified? It's not when it isn't, and it is when it is, but what circumstances fall into which category? Maybe self-defense is justified, but did Jesus defend himself? I believe that the defense of an innocent person or group of people is justified, but what if you do not fully understand the circumstances, and they are not innocent, and they deserve whatever they are getting and you should mind your own business? What about war? war is bad, but war has stimulated every internal improvement this nation has ever seen, like the women's rights movement the civil rights movement, and a ton of other things. Furthermore, it stimulates the economy. Also, for all the baby boomers, they wouldn't exist were it not for wars. So, in a sense war is bad because people die, but the overall effects on our nation have been good...freedom, etc. So, it's so darn specific, and I have to write a stupid paper on it, and being a christian, i can't figure out what to write! Help?

Back