What are other people's lives worth?

francois

Schwat?
Registered Senior Member
What are other people's lives worth in relation to the lives of your immediate family?

I think I would probably let five strangers die before I would let one of my immediate family members die. In other words, if I had to choose between saving one of my immediate family members' lives and saving five random people's lives, it would be a tie; I would have no preference. If I were choosing between saving one of my immediate family members' lives and saving four random people's lives, I would favor saving my one family member. And if it were more than five random strangers, I would favor saving them instead of my one family member. 5:1 ratio. And then if we're talking about second cousins or whatever, then 2.5:1 ratio. Then a 1:1 ratio for third cousins and so on.

I'd imagine that most of you value family members' lives more than the lives of random people. If you had to quantify how much more you value their lives, how would you do it? You know... shits and giggles.

survival of the fittest includes survival of the genes as priority. As for values here...one of mine against everything of not mine.

What the heck does natural selection have to do with how you value your family members' lives?

A whole lot, since their genes are in part the same as yours you favor their survival over the survival of others. This is exceptionally strong in parents towards their offspring.

If i had to choose between saving a family members life and someone elses, i would choose the family member. And so would virtually everybody else. Partners are included in 'family members'.

A whole lot, since their genes are in part the same as yours you favor their survival over the survival of others. This is exceptionally strong in parents towards their offspring.
Yeah, I know. I meant it in a different sense. I understand the concept of selfish genes and kin altruism.
If i had to choose between saving a family members life and someone elses, i would choose the family member. And so would virtually everybody else. Partners are included in 'family members'.
But how would you quantify how much more you value your family's lives?

I'd imagine that most of you value family members' lives more than the lives of random people. If you had to quantify how much more you value their lives, how would you do it? You know... shits and giggles.

I'd let all of the people on Earth, every single human, die before I'd allow one single member of my family to die.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

I'd let all of the people on Earth, every single human, die before I'd allow one single member of my family to die.

Proof that kin selection is dangerous to species?

Yeah, I know. I meant it in a different sense. I understand the concept of selfish genes and kin altruism.
But how did you mean it then ?

But how would you quantify how much more you value your family's lives?
I cant, its not something one can measure it think.
And it also would depend on ones relationship with the family member.
For instance, if you were a victim of abuse (use your imagination) you might choose to rescue the other. Especially if that other was a friend.

Can i ask what you are getting at ? Because this doesnt seem to lead anywhere in particular.

But how did you mean it then ?
I meant it in a more personal sense. I can't really comment much more on that.

I cant, its not something one can measure it think.
And it also would depend on ones relationship with the family member.
For instance, if you were a victim of abuse (use your imagination) you might choose to rescue the other. Especially if that other was a friend.
I realize that not everybody likes every one of their family members the same. I'm asking a general question: in general, how much do you value the lives of your family members? If possible, quantify it. If you don't want to but still think you can give an interesting answer, then by all means please do. :)

Can i ask what you are getting at ? Because this doesnt seem to lead anywhere in particular.
Because I find these kinds of responses interesting:

Baron Max

There's no way you're being serious. But if you are, how do you justify such a mentality if I'm using the right term?

What are other people's lives worth in relation to the lives of your immediate family?

I think I would probably let five strangers die before I would let one of my immediate family members die. In other words, if I had to choose between saving one of my immediate family members' lives and saving five random people's lives, it would be a tie; I would have no preference. If I were choosing between saving one of my immediate family members' lives and saving four random people's lives, I would favor saving my one family member. And if it were more than five random strangers, I would favor saving them instead of my one family member. 5:1 ratio. And then if we're talking about second cousins or whatever, then 2.5:1 ratio. Then a 1:1 ratio for third cousins and so on.

That's a totally silly proposition, in my opinion. Who could possibly "calculate" ratios like that?????

I'm with Max all the way on this one (and I believe most people would be also if they're completely honest about it). If I was forced to choose between the life of my wife, or any of my children or grandchildren and the rest of the world, the entire world is a goner - simple as that, no ratios or percentages involved!

Those who would benefit from the existence of society owe it something.

Last year, someone exploded a small bomb near my apartment. While I will leave Snohomish County 911's lack of concern alone for the time being, I decided to stay where I was instead of investigate potential injuries. My obligation is to my daughter, who was home. I could not leave her alone at age 3, and I certainly wasn't going to take her down to the explosion site.

However, in whatever extraordinary, cinematic situation brings the family vs. world question to bear, I figure I'll do whatever it is I decide to do. Trying to predict that is, at the very least, difficult. Standing on such a projection would be ridiculous.

Baron Max

No, I couldn't. My children would die before every single person on the planet would. I of course would die with them, as I would no longer want to live. But humanity would never ever end because of my love for 2 children. It's selfish and immoral.

This conversation has actually come up with my son.

I would kill everyone on Earth for my family if such was needed.

Then you have ended humanity. Is that what you want your family's legacy to be? Do you think that is what they want?

I think most people would rather die than end the lives of so many innocent others.

Draqon said:

I would kill everyone on Earth for my family if such was needed.

Would you do that one by one, or would you nuke 'em?

And would you really consider that outcome actually good for your family?

Then you have ended humanity. Is that what you want your family's legacy to be? Do you think that is what they want?

I think most people would rather die than end the lives of so many innocent others.

I believe you'd find that sentiment to be VERY much in the minority. I also believe that what you think you might do and what you actually would do if faced with the situation might well be totally different.

I believe you'd find that sentiment to be VERY much in the minority. I also believe that what you think you might do and what you actually would do if faced with the situation might well be totally different.

and I repeat...I will not end the lives of many to save a few. My military upbringing gives me a different mind set than you.
I'm not being all heroic and cavalier about it. I would die after making that decision.

Just to clear up, I'm not asking how you would act in a real-world situation. That would be really tough to answer, because nobody knows what they would do unless they were put in that situation. I'm asking how much you value the lives of your family. In a clear frame of mind, what would you ideally do?

Back