What happened to me?

Cowboy

My Aim Is True
Valued Senior Member
I had an interesting dream experience many years ago, and I wanted to know how it should be classified.

I'm not going to bore you with all the details (though I can be more specific if you want), but I had a dream where I got shot in the leg. I woke up not long after I was shot and my leg hurt like hell, exactly where the bullet hit me while I was dreaming. At first I thought I was still half-asleep, but after 10 seconds or so I knew I was totally awake and it still hurt. I actually got out of bed to turn on a light and looked at my leg to see if I had been bitten by a spider or scratched by my cat or something, but there wasn't any kind of mark or injury. It took less than a minute - probably about 30 seconds or so - for the pain to fade away, but it was definitely real.

The pain was real, and caused the dream. I regularly find that some feature in a dream, a noise, a sensation, or something is due to some outside input. For instance, I recently dreamed I was standing beside a motorway with cars roaring by. I woke up, but the roaring continued ... it was my wife snoring ;).

The cause of the pain could be a local cramp, a small blood-clot, or something else. The pain impulse registered in you brain and was incorporated in a dream.

Hans

What Hans said. Your senses aren't completely cut off while you're asleep, or what would be the point of an alarm clock, for instance?

So your dreams mould themselves around external stimuli. Sound, cramp, feeling thirsty, trying to find a loo, whatever. So all it means, is that you have normal dreams.

"trying to find a loo"
Yah, I cannot remember how many times I have dreamt of struggling to find a toilet, and whenever I found one, it was unusable for one reason or the other, then waking up and needing to pee :p .

Hans

Acid Cowboy, I believe that what you experienced is the zone between the physical reality and our spiritual, mental reality (that which we dream from and in).

The fact that you felt that pain is proof that you travelled somewhere within your spiritual realm and your physical realm was trying to compensate for your sleep state.
After all, pain is really, the electrical impulses processed in the brain, the same part of the body that stores the memory and the electrical charge that is us humans.
That same part also conflict with our physical, because we need to believe in order for something to exist it has to be percieved or experienced before us, hence the reason we deny such posibilities.

We are not just flesh and bones my friends, that is mearly our "cocoon"

I'm not sure about the spiritual realm thing - but it's similar to a feeling. If you have
a happy dream, you usually wake up either happy or at least remembering the happy
feeling. Some feeling's last longer, some are forgotten. Your pain receptors (or whatever
is the register of pain in your brain) is being tricked by sensory whatever. I reckon
your gunshot was perceived to be real in your brain. People who lose limbs
sometimes feel as though they can feel their lost limb...the brain simply remembers it
being there and sends erroneous message about.
Interesting thought - has anyone ever got a limb removed through choice?

Back