What happens after nirvana, liberation, perfection?

Boy, you guys are brainy. Or sober. I can't quite decide which is worse.

Also, if by "nirvana" you mean "poop", as I suspect: Both liberation and perfection.

You are welcome.

if a person is not liberated, what value is their expression on the nature of life after liberation?
Of no more 'value' than their opinion of the nature of liberation.
Are you asking me a 'personal' question, somewhere, here?

how about liberation?
Of course. Inquire as you like.

and how does that define or qualify one for determining the nature of existence after liberation (assuming that you are working with the definition of liberation as that state that id liberated from pain/suffering ... otherwise what is it liberating us from?)
I have no truck with your 'definition'.
Classic 'definition' is an experiential 'understanding'/experience of the One.. 'Enlightenment/liberation' is a state of 'grace', 'innocence', 'born again' (regained state of 'innocence'), 'enlightenment', One with Tao, 'Dharma', 'Void'.. all the metaphors.. 'no person' to experience the One.. blah.. you just gotta be Here..
*__-
'It' just is non transferrable on an internet post, or otherwise! Just gotta pay the dues.
I can answer your questions with words, and whether they fall off the monitor onto the floor, or you reverse engineer this wisdom into a liquor that you can sip and enjoy, or throw them back into my face like beavers flinging feces into the sun, or whatever.. makes no real difference..

I don't see any problem with your definition of suffering ... my inquiry was more into the liberation side of things, particularly in regards to your statement that the end of life is the end of suffering
People 'seek' liberation from their unhappiness, whatever the 'cause'. People that 'seek liberation', seek liberation from 'ignorance', from 'delusion'. It is 'delusion/ignorance' (false ego) that 'attaches' to the pain of existence (which, ultimately, is nothing more than a 'memory program') thereby causing 'unhappiness', which is what one really is trying to escape. Pain is just another tray on the buffet of human feelings. No different than joy, sad, grief, etc..

All these 'feelings' are co-arising with/within the phenomenon of a 'living human being'. While there is life, there is evidence of these 'feelings' With the cessation of what appears as 'life', all 'signs of life, including 'feelings' disappear with that appearance of life.
All evidence is that 'pain', a 'feeling', dies along with the biological organs that biologically 'give rise' to those 'feelings'. Feelings are no more than 'feelings', biologically produced in the hypothalamus.. short chain proteins.. peptides..
No living brain=no living hypothalamus=no living peptides=no 'feelings'=no 'pain'=no endurance of pain=no 'suffering after 'death'.
So there!
*__-
And if you still do not understand this simple point that I am making, you really don't want to understand (even though you are under no obligation to accept), or are nursing a 'belief virus' that will not allow 'conflicting info' into it's area of infestation..

once again, no problem with your definition of suffering/pain
Well, there you go and there you are! heheh

there remains no evidence for many things, like for instance that entity we call "the mind" is not evidenced (by empiricism - I assume that is what you mean by the word "evidence") either - but perhaps this is all a bit off topic
We can discuss this elsewhere/elsewhen as I 'see things a bit differently', which is where much, if not all, of this 'value' seems to lie..
If there is 'thought', there is your evidence of 'mind'.
The 'thought' is a 'lie', not 'real', and the 'concept of mind' is equally unreal illusion. Not 'mind', but 'memory'. Apparent continuity of 'memory' is imagined as 'thought'. It isn't, but it is the source of all delusion and unhappiness. Liberation frees you from this delusion.

since the thread deals specifically with the question of what happens after liberation, which assumes this body is not all in all to existence
*Flips all pages to end of book and displays the punchline*
Who are 'you'?
You are existence. If you draw and accept some arbitrary notion of 'seperation', perhaps you can imagine that, seperated from all existence, now (your true nature) you can be a 'galaxy'. Sweet, the 'perspective' of a galaxy! The patience! The drama! A few more false and arbitrary 'definitions/contextual definitions/boundaries' and you can be a planet, or a tree, or .. little and afraid and isolated us, trembling in the severe shadows created by our 'creation of things' with the 'belief virus taking us deeper and deeper into the deluision that we tearfully and pridefully tout as 'reality'!
No, that 'body' is not all to 'you', but that 'liberating' experience/understanding has to 'arise' from within. Otherwise, it is just intellectual detritus, meaningless until 'actualized' as experience, and THEN! all this bullshit seems to take on some sort ****Woah!!*** effect!
And it is a case of, I knew it all along! (go figure) Just came to 'Consciousness' Now!

how can there be experience of liberation in the presence of suffering?
No 'how'.
It 'happens'!
We do.
It is.
What is, is. Etc..
All appearance of 'liberation' happens within the appearance of 'life', in which, there is, inherently, the appearance of 'pain/suffering'. The nice thing about still riding that wheel, is that whatever pain that you experience, will (appear to) pass, and give way to a new ride for a few moments... And the wheel keeps turning.. (which is why one is wisely advised to not attach to that wheel of Maya/illusion).

I think you have to clear up what the linear communal illusion of life is
K.
I'm not sure what terms you are unfamiliar with.
Some moments of that which we perceive as 'life' are perceived in a 'linear fashion', one 'following' the next. That is a 'trick' of the mind/memory.
Rob't Anton Wilson likes to say that;
"The universe is a (simultaneous) non-simultaneously apprehended event." (Linear, temporally perceived)
Communal in that society collaborates in what is accepted as 'reality' or not within that society.. More communally accepted delusion. Non acceptance of the societal delusions has consequences for the authentic/honest 'indivi-dual'..
I hope that helps..

I don't doubt that - but the question is are your experiences valid enough to determine the nature of life after liberation while your experiences involve suffering/pain?
I have thoroughly answered your question. The problem is that you must crack the 'code', find the key!
'Code' is all that can be offered here, at best... Metaphor..

The nature of the 'answer' is that besides pointing out that the initial question is in error, goes on to point out that 'liberation' frees one from the false concepts of the mind. One of those 'false concepts' is the notion of 'time' (your 'before and after'). Thus, there is no 'after' liberation/enlightenment/Oneness...

if that consciousness involves pain/suffering, how can it be liberated?
Consciousness Is. It 'involves' nothing. It is false ego that is 'liberated', like a bullet to the brain! Without the obscurant dust of false ego all over the mirror of our perceptions, vision clears, vessel empties of 'false self' and can flow with 'Consciousness'. Like to experience the 'Consciousness' of a galaxy? Experience the Consciousness of a 'tree'? A universe?
'Consciousness' is One
It is called the 'Ground of all Existence', by, of all folks, Quantum Theory! And, of course, millennia of mystics who have paid their dues to 'see'...

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
if a person is not liberated, what value is their expression on the nature of life after liberation?

Of course, for an intelligent reply, you would have to define 'value' and thus, 'to whom'?

Nameless

all things are not equal - its not so much a personal question, at least not at this moment, but one for deeming logic - if a person has attained a state of liberation, their opinions regarding life after liberation are more valid than the opinions of one who is yet to approach a liberated state - kind of like a person who has actually learnt to and flown an airplane has more valid experiences to relate on the topic of flying airlplanes than a person who has never flown an airplane

and how does that define or qualify one for determining the nature of existence after liberation (assuming that you are working with the definition of liberation as that state that id liberated from pain/suffering ... otherwise what is it liberating us from?)

I have no truck with your 'definition'.
Classic 'definition' is an experiential 'understanding'/experience of the One.. 'Enlightenment/liberation' is a state of 'grace', 'innocence', 'born again' (regained state of 'innocence'), 'enlightenment', One with Tao, 'Dharma', 'Void'.. all the metaphors.. 'no person' to experience the One.. blah.. you just gotta be Here..

*__-
'It' just is non transferrable on an internet post, or otherwise! Just gotta pay the dues.
I can answer your questions with words, and whether they fall off the monitor onto the floor, or you reverse engineer this wisdom into a liquor that you can sip and enjoy, or throw them back into my face like beavers flinging feces into the sun, or whatever.. makes no real difference..

its not such a complex issue
if a person is liberated they are liberated from suffering and if a person is suffering they are not liberated p in otherwords liberation involves a very clear idea of what one is seeking liberation from

otherwise there would be no way to determine whether this gentleman is liberated or not

yoga-ire20blog.jpg

I don't see any problem with your definition of suffering ... my inquiry was more into the liberation side of things, particularly in regards to your statement that the end of life is the end of suffering

People 'seek' liberation from their unhappiness, whatever the 'cause'. People that 'seek liberation', seek liberation from 'ignorance', from 'delusion'. It is 'delusion/ignorance' (false ego) that 'attaches' to the pain of existence (which, ultimately, is nothing more than a 'memory program') thereby causing 'unhappiness', which is what one really is trying to escape. Pain is just another tray on the buffet of human feelings. No different than joy, sad, grief, etc..
ignorance is the cause of pain and suffering

BG 5.21: Such a liberated person is not attracted to material sense pleasure but is always in trance, enjoying the pleasure within. In this way the self-realized person enjoys unlimited happiness, for he concentrates on the Supreme.

pain an suffering ends with liberation, yet life continues
All these 'feelings' are co-arising with/within the phenomenon of a 'living human being'. While there is life, there is evidence of these 'feelings' With the cessation of what appears as 'life', all 'signs of life, including 'feelings' disappear with that appearance of life.
All evidence is that 'pain', a 'feeling', dies along with the biological organs that biologically 'give rise' to those 'feelings'. Feelings are no more than 'feelings', biologically produced in the hypothalamus.. short chain proteins.. peptides..
No living brain=no living hypothalamus=no living peptides=no 'feelings'=no 'pain'=no endurance of pain=no 'suffering after 'death'.
So there!
*__-

there is some vague indication on the movements of the conceptualized self (that is which part of the brain corresponds to which feelings) yet there is no empirical evidence for the nature of the self as context (the entity who has a sense of " I am") - in other words you are not indicating life but merely the chemical counterparts that life utilizes - at the very least no scientist can take short chain proteins and turn them into conscious life

And if you still do not understand this simple point that I am making, you really don't want to understand (even though you are under no obligation to accept), or are nursing a 'belief virus' that will not allow 'conflicting info' into it's area of infestation..

once again - there is no scientific evidence for the constituent material elements of actual consciousness, so without even having to dally into issues of transcendence or spirituality, it seems that you are the one working with a belief virus

there remains no evidence for many things, like for instance that entity we call "the mind" is not evidenced (by empiricism - I assume that is what you mean by the word "evidence") either - but perhaps this is all a bit off topic

We can discuss this elsewhere/elsewhen as I 'see things a bit differently', which is where much, if not all, of this 'value' seems to lie..
If there is 'thought', there is your evidence of 'mind'.
bu that thought can not be reduced to a material representation - you may say that chemical x works in a certain way on the consciousness to produce emotional state y, but even if you have truck loads of chemical x you can not produce emotional state y unless you have consciousness (and since we can not synthesize consciousness, where does that leave us?)

since the thread deals specifically with the question of what happens after liberation, which assumes this body is not all in all to existence

*Flips all pages to end of book and displays the punchline*
Who are 'you'?
You are existence. If you draw and accept some arbitrary notion of 'seperation', perhaps you can imagine that, seperated from all existence, now (your true nature) you can be a 'galaxy'.
perhaps until the FBI kicks down your door
:m:
Sweet, the 'perspective' of a galaxy! The patience! The drama! A few more false and arbitrary 'definitions/contextual definitions/boundaries' and you can be a planet, or a tree, or .. little and afraid and isolated us, trembling in the severe shadows created by our 'creation of things' with the 'belief virus taking us deeper and deeper into the deluision that we tearfully and pridefully tout as 'reality'!
No, that 'body' is not all to 'you', but that 'liberating' experience/understanding has to 'arise' from within. Otherwise, it is just intellectual detritus, meaningless until 'actualized' as experience, and THEN! all this bullshit seems to take on some sort ****Woah!!*** effect!
And it is a case of, I knew it all along! (go figure) Just came to 'Consciousness' Now!
thats ok, but it boils down to what one ultimately identifies one's consciousness with - and once again its not necessarily so complicated - if one identifies with matter (even if somehow you think you are a galaxy) it is illusion since all matter, including galaxies, perish - liberation involves one's consciousness identifying with transcendence, which basically boils down to two options - does a liberated person identify their consciousness with the notion of being the supreme consciousness of existence or do they identify themselves as a conscious separated part and parcel of the supreme consciousness - answering this will largely answer whether there are any activities after liberation

how can there be experience of liberation in the presence of suffering?

No 'how'.
It 'happens'!
We do.
It is.
What is, is. Etc..
All appearance of 'liberation' happens within the appearance of 'life', in which, there is, inherently, the appearance of 'pain/suffering'. The nice thing about still riding that wheel, is that whatever pain that you experience, will (appear to) pass, and give way to a new ride for a few moments... And the wheel keeps turning.. (which is why one is wisely advised to not attach to that wheel of Maya/illusion).
all pain is experienced to be temporary and it is no grand achievement to have such experiences

I think you have to clear up what the linear communal illusion of life is

K.
I'm not sure what terms you are unfamiliar with.
Some moments of that which we perceive as 'life' are perceived in a 'linear fashion', one 'following' the next. That is a 'trick' of the mind/memory.
Rob't Anton Wilson likes to say that;
"The universe is a (simultaneous) non-simultaneously apprehended event." (Linear, temporally perceived)
Communal in that society collaborates in what is accepted as 'reality' or not within that society.. More communally accepted delusion. Non acceptance of the societal delusions has consequences for the authentic/honest 'indivi-dual'..
so if the ultimate underlying foundation of existence is illusion, how do you propose that one gets free from it, without simply adopting an illusory path (after all, anton wilson could simply be facilitating another aspect of illusion by propagating yet another societal delusion)

I don't doubt that - but the question is are your experiences valid enough to determine the nature of life after liberation while your experiences involve suffering/pain?

I have thoroughly answered your question. The problem is that you must crack the 'code', find the key!
'Code' is all that can be offered here, at best... Metaphor..
if one cannot see life past suffering, it is doubtful whether they have cracked the code
The nature of the 'answer' is that besides pointing out that the initial question is in error, goes on to point out that 'liberation' frees one from the false concepts of the mind. One of those 'false concepts' is the notion of 'time' (your 'before and after'). Thus, there is no 'after'
so one is always liberated?
This sounds like a very cheap definition of liberation if there is no point striving for liberation since one is already liberated yet one still experiences pain/suffering.

if that consciousness involves pain/suffering, how can it be liberated?

Consciousness Is. It 'involves' nothing. It is false ego that is 'liberated', like a bullet to the brain! Without the obscurant dust of false ego all over the mirror of our perceptions, vision clears, vessel empties of 'false self' and can flow with 'Consciousness'. Like to experience the 'Consciousness' of a galaxy? Experience the Consciousness of a 'tree'? A universe?
'Consciousness' is One
It is called the 'Ground of all Existence', by, of all folks, Quantum Theory! And, of course, millennia of mystics who have paid their dues to 'see'...
I don't know if that answers the question, since the very foundation of pain/suffering is separation

So, according to your incessant point here, you are arguing with what I offer from your great fund of fantasy and imagination. All egoic. As 'liberation', etc.. is not within your experience, one would think that you would close the mouth and try to understand something a bit.. different. Where is your experience? None. You imagine that 'this' means 'that' with no personal experience, and argue (ego). Gotta be who you are though..
But, I have said everything I have to here with the following, on the subject. If you have an intelligent, respectful, non-agendized or egoic question on a specific, I'll be happy to answer for your consideration, but I'm not feeling that there is anything you want to understand. You are already deep within your delusions and beliefs with no room for input. That is as it may be for the moment, perhaps another moment.

Me;

You;
all things are not equal - its not so much a personal question, at least not at this moment, but one for deeming logic - if a person has attained a state of liberation, their opinions regarding life after liberation are more valid than the opinions of one who is yet to approach a liberated state - kind of like a person who has actually learnt to and flown an airplane has more valid experiences to relate on the topic of flying airlplanes than a person who has never flown an airplane

ME;
Your constant repetition of this 'point' has now become obvious to me (ok, I may be a bit slow..) that you are attempting to 'bait' me into some declaration of some 'authority' for the words that I offer, so that you can play some ego game.
Anyone willing to 'accept' something solely on the so called 'authority' of someone elses thoughts, etc.. is, as far as I can see, a fool. An intelligent person that is capable of critical thought would never think of such a thing. You would have plenty social company, though, if acceptance of 'authority' is your thing.
I will not play play into your game. That isn't why i'm here.
You can dismiss these words as you like if/as they have no meaning to you. No problem.
There is no argument here.
Perhaps they will have meaning to someone else.
Perhaps to you after a bit of 'life' experience.
Perhaps not.
So?
Peace

Last edited:
So, according to your incessant point here, you are arguing with what I offer from your great fund of fantasy and imagination.
its not quite so drastic - I think its quite straight forward - basically it boils down to determining whether liberation is a freedom or an involvement in pain and suffeing
All egoic. As 'liberation', etc.. is not within your experience, one would think that you would close the mouth and try to understand something a bit.. different.
and a good beginning point for such an understanding would be the experiences of persons who are accredited with having attained liberation in books of knowledge
Where is your experience? None.
my point exactly - if I am a fool suffering in the material world like everyone else, what is the point in me giving a personal opinion on the nature of liberation, or even worse, the nature of life after liberation
You imagine that 'this' means 'that' with no personal experience, and argue (ego). Gotta be who you are though..
and the question is whether one is a liberated or non-liberated person - just because I am not a brain surgeon doesn't mean that my opinions on brain surgery should be respected through out th e world

But, I have said everything I have to here with the following, on the subject. If you have an intelligent, respectful, non-agendized or egoic question on a specific, I'll be happy to answer for your consideration, but I'm not feeling that there is anything you want to understand. You are already deep within your delusions and beliefs with no room for input. That is as it may be for the moment, perhaps another moment.
would a person who is not liberated have an agenda in discussing the nature of life after liberation if they insisted in explaining it according to their own experiences?

Me;

You;

ME;
Your constant repetition of this 'point' has now become obvious to me (ok, I may be a bit slow..) that you are attempting to 'bait' me into some declaration of some 'authority' for the words that I offer, so that you can play some ego game.
your argument is the ultimate in ego, since the only authority is your ego

Anyone willing to 'accept' something solely on the so called 'authority' of someone elses thoughts, etc.. is, as far as I can see, a fool.[/QUOTE
are people who go to doctors when they are sick fools?
are people who go to car mechanics to get their cars working fools?
are people who have legal issues solved by lawyers fools?
are people who go to IT schools to get an education in software fools?
etc etc
An intelligent person that is capable of critical thought would never think of such a thing.
in light of the above egs, I doubt it

You would have plenty social company, though, if acceptance of 'authority' is your thing.
also have a car that works, good health, cleared up legal scene and a university degree integral to my field of application
I will not play play into your game. That isn't why i'm here.
You can dismiss these words as you like if/as they have no meaning to you. No problem.
Perhaps they will have meaning to someone else.
indeed - perhaps - but the internet is a big big big big space
Perhaps to you after a bit of 'life' experience.
hope the good end of life's stick lands in your direction
:D

Perhaps not.
So?
Peace
peace indeed, the very foundation of liberation

BG 2.66: One who is not connected with the Supreme can have neither transcendental intelligence nor a steady mind, without which there is no possibility of peace. And how can there be any happiness without peace?

Of course, for an intelligent reply, you would have to define 'value' and thus, 'to whom'?

Nah. It's random speculation. And it has in fact been treated as mental wanking by the people who claim to be enlightened and whose words tend to come up in such discussions.

Nah. It's random speculation. And it has in fact been treated as mental wanking by the people who claim to be enlightened and whose words tend to come up in such discussions.

To what do you refer when saying 'random speculation'? 'Unenlightened speculations' or all 'reports' regardless of 'personal experience'?

so in otherwords you think that there is no such thing as liberation - what premises do you base that conclusion on? (or are you more interested in stating your beliefs to the world or something like that?)

would a discussion on the value of a person not acquainted with brain surgery discussing how to carry out brain surgery require clarification?

Its really quite simply, if a person is not even close to liberation, what is the value of their personal views regarding life after liberation

What happens after nirvana, liberation, perfection?
There is no more after you reach nirvanic bliss. You become eternity. The physical body doesn't matter much then. After death it decomposes, like everything else.

There is no more after you reach nirvanic bliss. You become eternity. The physical body doesn't matter much then. After death it decomposes, like everything else.

So what happens after pairinirvana will forever remain unknown? All Gautama Buddha says is that its blissful...but what does that mean? He even says that you don't exist, nor not exist, nor neither exist nor not exist...what does that mean?

"Just as the destination of a glowing fire
struck with a [blacksmith's] iron hammer,
gradually growing calm,
is not known:

Even so, there's no destination to describe
for those who are rightly released
— having crossed over the flood
of sensuality's bond —
for those who have attained
unwavering bliss"
- (Udana 8.10)

Well I'll still strive for nirvana...nirvana is the end of all suffering...

Last edited:
The best things can’t be said because they are transcendent. The second best things are misunderstood because they are using objects of time and space to speak of transcendence. The third best thing is conversation.

Under that theory, is there any difference between dying after Nirvana and dying without Nirvana?

Achieving the nirvana you die as a human being psychologically during the life of your body.
Then after only the body dies.
Without achieving nirvana during the life, upon physical death you die physically and psychologically.

Foo Fighters?

No, seriously though. Did these sages not re-enter the world to then alleviate the suffering of all beings, and hasten their movement toward Nirvana?

I guess you reach it, then you figure "well, I left a whole lot of folks behind..."

Nirvana is other name for union with nirguna brahm, where you loose all context of being separate from the absolute truth or self or whatever you wanna call it. If you get the idea....

lemme know if i am not clear. mail me @ ricky.nj@gmail.com

Rick

Last edited:
I have finally found a place that speaks my language!

My first encounter with this site was today. I googled the question -"after Nirvana what then" and this site came up! I was delighted needless to say! I just love watching the wheel go round and round!
At any rate - thank you - while I didn't find a succinct answer to my query I have formulated my own conclusion from all of the very worthy posts that had been generated.
What a lovely list!!!!!

Back