whats the point

The Monkey rules.

Two short sentences. 13 words. And he covers the whole essence of religion.

spuriousmonkey said:
otherwise many people would feel insecure about their lives. it gives them purpose.

I disagree, that would have been true 100 or 200 years ago....for most people now religion serves as a safety net in bad times. Money is life's purpose now. Money can go on without chrurch but church needs money to stay lit.

sargentlard said:
I disagree, that would have been true 100 or 200 years ago....for most people now religion serves as a safety net in bad times. Money is life's purpose now. Money can go on without chrurch but church needs money to stay lit.

Your logic dictates that churches need people, but the question was why people need religion.

spuriousmonkey said:
Your logic dictates that churches need people, but the question was why people need religion.

...and you said that is gives people a purpose when really it is the other way around. People do not need religion anymore as much as they need a job....religion needs people now.

When do people really remember god?...when shit hits the fan, no one cares after a hard day's work. More and more people are now starting to question god.

Insecurity is now exploited as a weakness in people and products are sold to them as a cure for the right price.

sargentlard said:
Insecurity is now exploited as a weakness in people and products are sold to them as a cure for the right price.

Yes, and these products are doing what religion used to do.

l33t h4x0r: some one please tell me what the point of religion is. I've been debating it for awhile now
M*W: Welcome to sciforums! First, you need to get a username that is easier to write. Secondly, there is no point to religion. Thirdly, you are in the right place if you like to debate. Fourthly, tell us what you want us to know!

l33t h4x0r said:
some one please tell me what the point of religion is. I've been debating it for awhile now

If you have been debating it for a while and you still don't know what the point is, you may find that it is because you don't want to know. So for you it will remain pointless until you are ready to know.

Jan Ardena.

I33,

It looks like you've reached the final and only reasonable conclusion but haven't admitted it to yourself yet. Religion is pointless.

Religion has two main points...one of which has been pointed out in this thread quite clearly...
1) A means to control and influence the masses (for good and for bad)
2) A means to explain the unknown

In my honest opinion, it is pointless in today's society. Not to confused of course with God, which is another matter by itself, although explaining the concept of "God" is another purpose of religion...which falls under both points 1 and 2.

l33t h4x0r said:
some one please tell me what the point of religion is. I've been debating it for awhile now

It's thumb sucking from the infancy of our society. Now that we've matured
a little we're starting to ween ourselves off the thumb.

Religion isn't a tool, it's a way of life. We don't "use" it to accomplish something - we simply live and think a certain way. Things accomplish themselves no matter what you believe (or what you call your beliefs).

"It" gives me purpose? Since when? What possible purpose could religion give me that I would not have otherwise? The security I have is with God, and in my relationship with Him. If I'm secure, how can insecurity be a driving force?

The living God wants to place you in a living relationship with Him. "Religion" is what we call the processes involved, whether to that end or away from it.

Its point is to make people feel better, it gives comfort in times of need, answers to question like where we came from and why are we here, it sets down laws and morals, in essence it makes life simple you just read and believe and dont need to learn anything for yourself because the answers are already there.
It is mostly a mere tool for controlling people, ones who are lazy, easily fooled, or lack experiences or knowledge of their own, and it works, but it makes them feel good so does it really matter?

Man is basically a religious being, and 'organized religion' was made to satisfy his religious nature.

The point of religion? What an extremely silly question!

Religion has had many many benefits for mankind. Here, let me recount all of them for you:

1. Gothic cathedrals. Gothic cathedrals are cool.
2. Bach, we cannot forget Bach. The guy rocks.
3. Those wacky hats the Popes are fond of wearing. They are a riot.
4. Mmmhh... I'm sure there are many more, I just can't seem to remember them right now. I'll get back to you later, ok?

There is one important point when it comes to religion that hasn't been emphasized yet:
There are several ways of how the term "religion" can be conceptualized, the most frequent two are the sociological/anthropological and the theistic/religious.

There are important differences between these two conceptualizations; if we say "religion" and are in the realm of sociology/anthropology this term has a very very different meaning in comparison to using it in the realm of a certain religious teaching.

There is no absolute meaning of a term. Each term can be understood only within the paradigm, theory, teaching or doctrine of which it is part.
For example, the term "mass" has different meanings, or at least different connotations depending on whether we are using it in the realm of a certain physics theory, or whether we are using it in the realm of biology or sociology.
Similar with "religion" -- what it means to a sociologist/anthropologist may very likley not be the same as what it means to a theist/religionist.

Therefore, before expressing criticism, one ought to ask oneself, and clearly state within which theory, paradigm, doctrine or teaching he is making his statements -- in order to avoid predictable misunderstandings and unbased criticism.

I take that if we would always clearly state the theory we are coming from, few things would be left to criticize; and we could cooperate almost magically.

Cris said:
It looks like you've reached the final and only reasonable conclusion but haven't admitted it to yourself yet. Religion is pointless.

I find it disturbing that someone who says that has the title "In search of Immortality".

Jenyar said:
"It" gives me purpose? Since when? What possible purpose could religion give me that I would not have otherwise? The security I have is with God, and in my relationship with Him. If I'm secure, how can insecurity be a driving force?

So religion doesn't give you purpose. But you desire security in form of your relationship with god. So god's purpose is to give you security. You just denied and then said what I said in different words.

Back