Write4U's wobbly world of word salad woo

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Holy crap.

"I addressed quantum way way back."

When? Every time you use and have ever used the word quantum it was wrong, not even wrong.

“May I remind you that quantum is still a mathematical function.”

“Not even wrong” does not apply to this sentence, I need something more. I will ask around, I am not qualified.

“Quantum Superposition doing mathematics in a computer? Can you explain that?”

Not really since this sentence does not make sense either.

Look mate, you have to face facts that science is not for you, certainly not anything relating mathematics physics or chemistry.

IF you were willing to go about learning in the correct way we could help but you wont.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

There are differential equations in QM of course. Schrödinger's "wave" equation - which is really a diffusion equation - is a partial differential equation, for instance (involving 2nd derivatives of spatial coordinates and 1st derivative of time, whereas a true wave equation has 2nd derivatives of all 4).

But at the end of the day, like any theory in science, QM is a set of concepts, involving mathematical relationships between physical quantities that need to be defined in words. Mass, charge, momentum, position, electron, nucleus, energy (potential and kinetic)......all these are physical concepts requiring words to explain what they are (and, importantly, by implication how they are measured).

So to say any theory "is" mathematics would be rather silly, at least if intended literally.

But he's not even saying that. He's asserting that something called "quantum" (??) , which he has made up, "is" a mathematical function. Which is bonkers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

How about "quantum mechanics" are fundamentally mathematical (mathematical in essence)?

If not, then what is the proper completion of the sentence that tries to describe the relationship between the concepts of quantum mechanics and the universe's inherently mathematical functions?

Let's see, some of it right here,

Mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_formulation_of_quantum_mechanics#

and

Overview and fundamental concepts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics#

Where exactly is mathematics not associated with "quantum mechanics", by any description of the phenomenon?

See, you are commenting on the semantics of the science I post (sometimes inadequately), not the content.

It is your refusal to lend a generous ear to what I post that has always stopped any potentially interesting conversation before it has even had a chance to begin.

I believe that, over time, my exchanges with James have yielded some informative and productive discussions, and a forum is not useful if it is not producing informative discussions.

My contribution was the research and posting of what I considered relevant information from reliable scientific sources.

I don't try to replace any mainstream science, I try to show my relative but considered perspectives and understanding of the fundamental properties of spacetime.

I am also eager to learn facts, not linguistics.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I understand this, but I could not possibly do this justice.
    That's why
    Wigner's friend
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner's_friend

Oh, and I like this too;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_commutation_relation

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

"deterministic to every physical interaction in the universe".

You shouldn't make extravagant claims - especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here are two examples of correct usages of the word 'quantum':

1. "Quantum physics is an exciting area of modern science." Note: 'quantum' is an adjective, here.
    2. The quantum of energy carried by a photon of light is calculated as E=hf. Note: 'quantum' is a noun, here.

Here's an example of a misuse of the word 'quantum':
    "Quantum is still a mathematical function".

It's not just that the intended meaning of the statement is factually incorrect. The statement doesn't even use the word properly.

10. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Your perspectives are wrong, your usage of the scientific terms are wrong.
    You cannot just learn facts and expect to understand a concept, you must start at the beginning, in your case the very beginning.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This is what I mean by the generic term"quantum" as a field of science.

Description
    In physics, a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction. The fundamental notion that a physical property can be "quantized" is referred to as "the hypothesis of quantization".
    Wikipedia

Examples:
    Quantum examples
    The particle portion of the wave-particle duality involves how objects can be described as “quanta.” A quanta is the smallest discrete unit (such as a particle) of a natural phenomenon in a system where the units are in a bound state. For example, a quanta of electromagnetic radiation, or light, is a photon.

Quantum

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Electrons don’t just travel in circles. Because of quantum mechanics, their positions are described by probabilities that they are in a certain location. These figures describe the probability of electrons in various configurations in a hydrogen atom.

https://www.energy.gov/science/doe-explainsquantum-mechanics#

Note the assigned values for each pattern, its all very mathematical.

But I'm sure, you're talking about "superposition", where values cannot be accurately established until the wave-function collapses and a physical value pattern emerges which "becomes the deterministic causality" of subsequent physical interactions.

A quantum is a value and therefore belongs in the world of mathematics. Mathematics is used to solve "probability problems".

Attached Files:

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I love this stuff.

9.4: The Quantum-Mechanical Model of an Atom

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

https://byjus.com/jee/schrodinger-wave-equation/

https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/College_of_the_Canyons/Chem_201:_General_Chemistry_I_OER/09:_Electronic_Structure_and_Periodic_Table/9.04:_The_Quantum-Mechanical_Model_of_an_Atom

13. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

More pasting with absolutely ZERO understanding.
    Got it.
    You keep repeating the same idiotic process again and again.
    You do not listen, you will never learn.

I'm out.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The relevant field of science is called "quantum physics". The word 'quantum', there, is an adjective. It is descriptive of the noun 'physics'.

There is no field of physics called 'quantum'. Understand?
    The word 'quantum' is from Latin. The word 'quanta' is the Latin plural of the word 'quantum'.

Hence, it is incorrect to refer to "a quanta" or "three quantum". It is incorrect to write "A quanta is the smallest discrete unit..." or "A quanta of EM radiation is a photon". Understand?

What gave you that idea? Did I use the word 'superposition' in any recent post I have made? I did not.

I have been talking about your incorrect use of technical terms. That's all I have been talking about. Understand?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Why are you telling me? I have never used the term quanta when discussing a singular quantum.
    No, you haven't mentioned it, but it is clear that when you speak of quanta not being mathematical objects you are referring to the superposition of quanta, which allows only for prediction of probabilities.
    Yes, and I would like it if you don't use false examples.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I have never said that.
    See, that's my point. Not only do you not read what I cite as supporting material, you invent things I have never said and required you to add a qualifier.

Quantum Mechanics Explained: Mathematical Guide for Beginners
    February 24, 2023
    Schrödinger Equation – Describing the Quantum World
    more..... https://evincism.com/quantum-mechanics-explained-mathematical-guide-for-beginners/#

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You said: "Quantum is still a mathematical function".

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I also said;
    You just can't resist, can you? This way we shall never get to discuss anything but "the meaning of words".

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I don't think that is a fair assessment. We have also discussed your lack of knowledge about science in general and your lack of knowledge of physics and math in particular. There has also been a lot of discussion about your steadfast refusal to learn anything presented here to help you.

So it is clearly not just about the meaning of words that you cannot seem to understand.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And that is why I do not use the word "just". You just made that up.

21. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Golly, you are so clever and ironic.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Golly, you are so clever and dishonest.

23. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Where was I dishonest?