Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by original, Dec 17, 2006.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

† The crucifix. It is revered as a symbol of Christ's sacrifice. Some people who believe Christ's death cleansed the sins of humanity own a small crucifix, often with the image of Christ nailed to it. Yet the way some religious people view the crucifix might actually be against the will of God, depending on what they believe. For example, it says in Exodus 20:4,
    "You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth;
    you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation;
    but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Please, do not discuss the validity of the Bible. I myself don't believe it, but I try to keep an open mind, even if my heart has been turned to stone, my eyes blinded and my ears deaf to the truth I'm supposed to follow.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

there is one problem about religion that i have not been able to resolve.
    that being it's scope. every culture i'm aware of has their god.
    why is that? why has religion persisted throughout the ages?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

fear of death, thats why, however futile it is.
    the delusional would rather believe there's something more, than face reality.
    they will even kill to protect that irrationality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Humans have always had a fixation on blood sacrifice, which is what the crucifix represents.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

are you sure? what about the japanese during WW2?
    1000s upon 1000s sacrificed themselves for their homeland and/or god emperor.
    surely they knew the emperor was but a man.

9. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

No such "Christ' ever existed; the "crucifix" in question is merely one of many symbols capitalized upon and institutionalized by agents of such bronze age myths (Constantine, Charlemagne, etc). It's popular to associate Xtianity with a Roman torture stick, but the more correct hieratical symbol for the Christ Myth is the Ichthys...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross