A Bradburyan Nighmare: The Shunning of Intellect

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by gendanken, May 1, 2004.

1. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Ah, really?
    So the little chango did not come here from his own will did he??

I hear in China they have monkies for breakfast.
    Tell me, do you feel you were being ignored because you don't think yourself interesting?
    You've said as much before.
    Why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

that was beautifully said. i , myself, am a great lover of literature, of historic beauty and preserved intelligence and yet it seems as though people who choose to read are ostracized by the youth of this present day. bibliophiles are a dying race and i have to say that i'd much prefer to die in my youth than to be a shell to the radio waves and bubbly picutures that have caused masses to huddle daily in front of their televisions. then again i could be seen as a hypocrite because i am actually on my computer and spend a lengthy amount of time here everyday...but then again, that brings me to the purpose of my using the computer. perhaps this is where a separation of people will occur, we are on the folding of our existence. what if...what if the world separated into those that seek the historical beauty of intellectual stimulae and those that so willingly give up their lives to television talk shows and dictatorial sit coms? ...the real question is not why this is happening...not why people are abandoning books, but what will happen when this separation occurs...what will happen when we no longer see the need to be a unified race?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

nah, he said he peeked in, but thought best not to step into the conversation.

There are times I am esp. glad that I barely ever eat meat.

Hm? Like, and if I would think myself interesting, then I wouldn't be ignored? -- That thinking oneself interesting is essential in being regarded as interesting?

Well, I know that I am plain, so that answers many things.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

yea...it answers a lot...i know the feeling.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes and no. I was pointed to this thread but I like to think it was my own free will (if someone like that exists) that made the decision to participate in the usual immature manner to this thread.

And they abort baby girls.

I'm using my privilege to post in all subforums of sciforums. I will continue to do this until they take this privilege away.

handling faeces is my specialization.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  9. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

...i sense a little tension...

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

haha...i guess it is, such is life.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm.. but there is nothing to relieve the tension here. IRL, people can fuck, beat the shit out of each other, or whatever. Here there is only the 'nanny nanny boo boo' of the disembodied typists. When tension builds, it perhaps fades a bit with time, but it is never really "relieved" in the direct sense between two people or groups or whatever.

Meh. Passing thought. Seemed interesting. Something about a typical social tool being all jacked up by the limits of the medium. Shutting up now.

13. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

if you think about it though, not talking about your tension only makes it worse and then that in itself is an unwise idea. so internet is supposed to be a vent for opinions, anger, and tension, but still on the internet there are people who repress their anger...maybe it's a new form of psychology...internet psychology. i guess that's just another rambling...but rambling is still a form of speech.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Emo912:
    Well, don't you see it already?
    Those who choose giggling to Sheakepsare's Touchstone as opposed to the laughing idiot on ComicView has always separated himself with eccentricity.
    He is given a Hobson's Choice and this choice, fellow litterateur, is historical.
    Ms. Dickinson would hide all her poetry in tiny boxes, and she lived in a world more bookish than this one.
    We only feel this alienation more prevalent since globalization beams a message in nanoseconds.

Rosa:
    No, but it makes one more interesting.
    I think myself weak and I come off as weak.
    Watch the vultures gather, whetting their beaks with saliva.
    Muhahhaha......

The monkey:
    Fried monkey is mine.

Wesmorris:
    Pardon, but I think this place to you is a blowjob.

I get what you're saying though- at times I walk away from here so frustrated and boiling with anger to not have certain member's necks in my fists.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm a spurious monkey.

More like boredom. It would be easy to step out of this frying contest because I feel no emotional commitment to it. It is just a matter of pushing a few buttons and seeing if there is a reaction. I have 'unwantingly' turned the human into a machine.

On Topic
    You don't have to be a nerd to be shunned from society. Nor do you need to be intellectual. There is only one requirement; that you are sufficiently different and that people feel socially uncomfortable around you.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

In that case, it is appropriate to act in accordance with the commuication options and limitations that *this* medium provides. Online, it is advisable to not act the way one does IRL, nor expect others to act that way.

Indeed. But this thread is esp. interested into why *intellectuals* are shunned. I take you postulate that intellectuals are simply "sufficiently different" -- and that *this* is the reason that people feel socially uncomfortable around them?

Funny -- you, who so fervently propagate strength.

So, oft it chances in particular men,
    That for some vicious mole of nature in them,
    As in their birth -- wherein they are not guilty,
    Since nature cannot choose its origin --
    By the o'ergrowth of some complexion,
    Oft breaking down the pales and forts of reason,
    Or by some habit that too much o'er-leavens
    The form of plausive manners, that these men --
    Carrying, I say, the stamp of one defect,
    Being Nature's livery, or Fortune's star --
    Their virtues else -- be they as pure as grace,
    As infinite as a man may undergo --
    Shall in the general censure take corruption
    From that particular fault.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Intellectuals are not shunned perse. Intellectuals can have an extremely intensive social life in their own little social sphere. They can even be super-social.

18. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

my name is eM 0912 not emo...sorry, but i thought that the correction was necessary. to live to learn is eccentric...what has the world come to? it's pitiful. speaking of shakespeare...something horrible happened in my english class. we were reading macbeth and my teacher skipped about four scenes because she said that she thought they were boring and not important. i think that in many ways teachers are also ruining the want to learn. it was sad because it was an honors class...

19. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Em0912:
    Burn the bitch.
    Boil, gut, and hack her.

Not really.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0628042teach1.html

And by the way, this is the last time you'll ever see me stretching up towards the number pad for the 0 in your name.

It was sarcasm- I'm not looking to fry anything unless its in some other person's thread.

That too was sarcasm.
    As in- there is a hole in my pants and its filling the room with aroma.
    Pause.
    I'm coming off way too cheerful for my bad mood today.