A cut too far.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Trippy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yeah - only I said that the technology was ready, I didn't say the equipment was, remember?

Bull.
    The confirmation budget was for 4.5 Billion.

Bull. If canning the program was the only viable, most cost effective way of fixing the problem, they would have said so.

Really? You're willing to give them an awful lot more credit than I am. I think they were looking for an excuse to cut it because they don't understand it.

Especially when they're tripping over themselves to give the DOD more money.

Oh get over it. You sound like iceaura.
    Goshdarn, I got over enthusiastic and used a word you don't like, that's subjective and open to interpretation based on each persons opinion.

Dam.

Yeah, only that's not what the 50 Billion is for - 37 Billion of it is specifically for Iraq and Afghanistan, 15 of it is money that Congress thought might be useful to them that Obama thought they didn't really need, and didn't ask for on their behalf.

But thankyou for summing that up so perfectly, and illustrating my initial point - that it's easier to not spend money on Science than it is to not spend money on warmongering. After all, it's only science. It's only purty pitchers right? And the US is already king of purty pitchers with Hubble.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

What makes sense is to trim fat where there's the most fat to trim.

Only, you won't have two space telescopes, and the plan was never to have two space telescopes, and within two years, potentially you won't even have one space telescope.

Your fetid little scenario is factually inaccurate for the reasons outlined above.

This is a piss-poor analogy at best - although most people would start with the most expensive item first, and if each item is a program, the JWST program is far from being the most expensive government run program.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but you don't launch technology, you launch equipment, and so NO, the JSWT is not "mostly ready to go".
    Indeed even if they poured many billions more into it wouldn't launch until 2018 at the earliest and maybe not until 2020.

In April of 2010, NASA officially estimated the project's total cost to be $5.1 billion for liftoff in June 2014.

By the time of the Review in November it was 6.8 Billion and earliest launch was 2015. (the board just used that number as their best guess)
    Since then, based on independent review, it's gone up and now the earliest launch date is considered to be 2018 (and maybe as late as 2020).

The project has a high run rate and that additional 3 year slip will add another Billion to the project. So the net is congress couldn't believe one word of what NASA managers said because they are SO FAR OFF at the Confirmation, which is when they had NO EXCUSE to be so far off.

NASA has spent about $3 billion on the project by Nov of 2010 and when the agency started the project in 2002, the observatory was supposed to launch in 2010. Since then, its launch has slipped one year later for every year of the project.

More importantly, it's sucking up resources from that could be spent on other projects as JWST's budget already accounts for about 40 percent of NASA's astrophysics portfolio and division managers say previous cost overruns are already constraining work on other astronomy probes.

So you can't just say that killing it wasn't the right thing to do.

You are focused only on getting this launched as a solution.
    Congress is focused on getting what they paid for.
    Indeed, if this was a building addition to your house with the exact same parameters you would also consider cancelling it.
    Not continuing to pour money down a hole is always one option to stop the hemorage of funds.

Of course they understood it.
    It was going to answer interesting questions about the origin of the Universe.
    But the questions really aren't that pressing to the national well being and so waiting a few more years (these questions are 13 billion years old or so) isn't really a massive scientific sacrifice.

I mean REALLY, is there any question that it is trying to solve that is that friggin time sensitive or important to humanity?

Again, you are just putting your personal bias into the equation.

Yes and we really have no choice but to continue those engagements.
    You have a better solution?

A) it's not warmongering, that's a highly prejudicial look at the reasons we are there and the success we have had in both countries.
    B) Yes, in fact it is mainly pretty pictures, which of course to scientists have value, but when I asked you what benefit we got from Hubble you came up with some minor serendipitous spin offs made by the companies that were developing the technology for the Hubble.
    What you DIDN'T come up with was any DIRECT benefit from Hubble.
    Got any I'm not aware of?
    More to the point, what DIRECT benefit is expected from the JWST?

Look, I'm all for pure science, to a point, and I know that when you spend BILLIONS on advanced technology like the JWST you will generate some serendipitous spin-offs like were done with the Hubble, but generally it will be much less than DIRECTED science and so while projects like the JWST has its place in the overall scheme of things, still spending should be somewhat related to benefit and there aren't many from a mission like the JWST, so when the project is so far in the dumper, canning it is an option (and if as you said, the technology is already mostly ready, then the opportunity for serendipitous spin offs from building the JWST has already occurred).

Oh, sure 10 to 15 years from now I'd probaby think the JWST results were neat as well, but I also think that we can live quite well for another decade without the answers it is trying to come up with.

Arthur

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm also sure that in 10-20 years we will look back at Iraq and Afghanistan as the quagmires that finally bankrupted this country, what direct benefit did those wars provide? beside helping to encourage terrorism against us around the world of course? It would have been a whole lot cheaper and public image wise to surgically attack terrorist and beef up security.

It is clear that had we been wise with our money we could have done so much more and could have even done more per dollar, but we aren't wise with money, we are incredible stupid with it.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Against you, and everybody else.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

All Science instrument test articles are at GSFC ready for integration with the ISIM.
    Mirror - Half of the mirrors are ready, the other half would be by the end of the year.
    ISIM - In the clean room, on the centrifuge.
    Flight spare secondary mirror - in the clean room.
    The tertiary mirror has been polished and coated.
    The flight articles for the OTE and the back plane structure were under construction as at December 2009 - work had begun before they completed their CDR's.
    A full scale engineering test article of the Sunshield was built in 2006.
    Flight Articles for NIRSPEC and MIRI (as at 2010) were fully integrated and undergoing testing.
    The main thing that's missing is the Spacecraft System (Avionics, computer, antennae, Thrusters and solar array). That passed it's preliminary design review in 2009, and its development had been delayed for, heh, financial reasons.

So yeah, I'm quite comfortable with saying that it's mostly ready to go.The project has a high run rate and that additional 3 year slip will add another Billion to the project. So the net is
    NASA made exactly the same accounting error with Chandra, the problem is that they left themselves with no contingency funds (again). That, in a nutshell is what they're asking for. The difference is that with Chandra, they were able to contain the costs.

Weren't we supposed to have flying cars and be living on the moon by 1980?

Which would stop happening if Congress gave NASA the extra money which they need to cover their contingency funding.

I can, I am, and I am far from being the only one.

Building an addition to your house is a piss-poor analogy. I've already made my opinion clear about that.

Sure, fine, play second fiddle to China, and Europe, see if I care.
    You're reliant on them for your particle physics, because Congress canned the Super conducting super collider.
    You're reliant on them to get your astronauts into space because congress canned the Shuttle.
    You're going to be reliant on them for your Astrophysics soon enough.

But that's okay, because you've got shiney new fighter planes that are better than anbody elses, and shiney new submarines that are better than anybody elses, and that's what counts right?

Pheh. Next thing Congress is going to propose cutting funding to the ISS, after all, what direct benefits are they getting from it? What's the point in funding something that you can't get yourself to in the first place? After all - you wouldn't build a house in an inaccessable part of the country that you can't get to would you (I know how much you love housing metaphors).

No I'm not, the worst I'm doing is using language that is intended to evoke certain emotions, while describing what it looks like (gasp - expressing an opinion, or am I not allowed to do that) from my perspective when Congress gives the military 15 Billion more than was requested for them by the Commander in Cheif.

Having said that, I could argue that your objection to the statement is itself based in personal bias.

You're missing the point here - that's 37 Billion over and above what was Budgeted by the USDOD for the operations in those theaters.
    That is - it's extra money over and above what they were originally given.
    It's a seperate bill that's on the floor above and beyond the budget(s) that were passed.

From where I sit, prosecuting an illegal war is exactly war mongering.

Take a step back from your nationalistic pride, for a minute, and look at some of the comments that have been made by others in this thread, and ask yourself "Why do these stereotypes exist?" "Why do people use language like this to describe America, and Americans?"

Because, umm, that wasn't what you asked for.
    You asked for "...ONE SOLID EXAMPLE of how the Hubble has improved the health, safety or well being of the average US citizen..."
    I gave you a pamphlet that detailed five spinoffs from the hubble, two of which were medical.

What direct benefit is there from prosecuting an illegal war in the middle east?

Having said that - next time you decide to invade a country that is essentially a great big Desert, perhaps the military could employ the technology used in the JWST sun shield to passively cool your tents, that way you won't have to spend 20 Billion on air-conditioning.

See that's the thing - Obvious direct potential benefits exist, whether or not they are employed is a whole other matter.

Look, I'm all for pure science, to a point, and I know that when you spend BILLIONS on advanced technology like the JWST you will generate some serendipitous spin-offs like were done with the Hubble, but generally it will be much less than DIRECTED science and so while projects like the JWST has its place in the overall scheme of things, still spending should be somewhat related to benefit and there aren't many from a mission like the JWST, so when the project is so far in the dumper, canning it is an option (and if as you said, the technology is already mostly ready, then the opportunity for serendipitous spin offs from building the JWST has already occurred).

And as far as Hubble goes - again, let's talk about breast cancer, and the fact that the device used to image the tumor is the same CCD device that's sitting in the HST, that was originally developed for the HST - it's the direct application of technology developed for Hubble in the medical industry. The new procedure is less invasive, less painful, doesn't leave a scar, and costs $850 as opposed to the $3500 dollars that traditional biopsy surgery uses.

LASER angioplasty was developed using LASER's that were originally developed, by NASA for remote sensing of the Ozone layer.

The point here is that direct benefits aren't always immediately apparent.

Deffering the project inflates the cost.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Via the Bad Astronomer (heh, why don't those opposed to the JWST head over to the BAUT forum and espouse your sentiment there for a while).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Bad Astronomer, incidentally, supports the ending of the shuttle program, and the closure of constellation, but has this to say about the canning of JWST:

11. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope, if it was mostly ready to go, then the soonest launch date wouldn't be 7 friggin years away, and that time frame is based on giving them the money they need.

No, who told you those BS stories.

No it's not. If you had commissioned any project and it was that late and that over budget and had few tangible benefits most everyone would cancel it.

Nope, if as you said we already did most of the technology, so actually launching it means little from the development of technology side.

Don't need the shuttle to build the ISS anymore and it's too expensive to use just to put people into orbit, so the money can be used to build our next man rated rockets. Minor timing issue.

Yup.
    Having the second best sucks big time.

Nope, learning how to live and work in space is necessary for our planned objective of eventually going to Mars, not to mention running the many science labs/experiments that can only be done on the ISS. You know DIRECTED science towards living/working/manufacturaing in space. Something that is much more likely to have direct benefits.

We can get to it, remember the I in ISS, it's an International mission and so while the rest of our partners relied on us to build it, we are using their much less expensive launch vehicles to get back and forth to it. You know, being SMART with our money.

Well see, that's your major problem.
    It's not an illegal war.

Because they aren't that intelligent is the obvious answer.

NO
    They were serendipitus uses of the technology.
    Which is nice, but none of them were direct benefits from the HUBBLE science mission.
    You know, what it was designed to do.
    Likewise there are for sure just as many serendipitous uses for technology used to build fighters and submarines, probably more, but that's just luck.
    Remember what Nobel made his fortune on?

What has the actual SCIENCE from the Hubble mission done for us.

Don't weasle out again.

We aren't prosecuting an illegal war in the middle east, quit with this BS.
    Iraq is a soveriegn nation now with their own constitution, elected government, police and army and we remain there with their obvious cooperatioin, we are NOT fighting the Iraqis and haven't been since Saddam was kicked out.
    Or are you one of those who would rather have Saddam back?

BS, BS and more BS.

No it's not.
    That CCD technology has continued to advance far beyond Hubble's launch.
    So all of that would have happened Hubble or no Hubble.

And yet you have YET to show ONE direct benefit of the SCIENCE from the entire Hubble mission.

Arthur

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I outlined the status of the various components to support my argument, all you've done so far is provide speculation.

There is an alternative explanation, that you don't understand what remains to be done, this has the added advantage of being the most parsimonius explanation as well.

Yes it is a piss poor analogy, at best.
    And I have commissioned projects, only when I did my budget calculations I assumed the worst possible case scenario I could think of, and in spite of the fact that two of them are behind schedule (one was held up by the Scientists whom the politicians insisted peer reviewed what I was proposing doing, and the other was held up because a proposal memo vanished without a trace from the blackhole that is a politicians desk) AFAIK I'm still underbudget.

Yeah, you missed the mark completely with that one.

Building the ISS wasn't the only thing the Shuttle was good for - for example, had it been forseen that Congress would can the JWST, they might have been able to schedule another one or two missions to re-boost the HST's orbit, meaning it could have been used for longer to fill the gap - until the components failed or the replacement was launched.

And yet you're quite happy to be second best for science and technology.

Pheh. I reject your hypothesis. Emperical evidence suggests that Congress is incapable of seeing that far ahead, esecially on technical matters.

Although having said that, you might be right in so far as there is a certain advantage to not letting the Chinese be the firt to get there.

No.
    The Russians and the Europeans can get to it.
    You can't get to it without there help - it wasn't that long ago that access with the canning of the shuttle program became a potential issue because of politics - specifically, it took a waiver to the Iran-North Korea-Syria Nonproliferation Act, which, if your unfamiliar with it, prevents US entities from doing buisiness with Russia, if Russia is doing buisiness with the afformentioned countries.

NASA had a waiver which expires this year, and has been granted an extension to that (since 2008) through until 2016, but it quite clearly illustrates how tenuous American access to space and the ISS really is.

And that's assuming that Energiya doesn't run out of money first - something which almost happened in 2008.

And then, let's take a moment to consider the implications of shortfunding the NASA heavy lifter by 700M USD.

It may not be now, because it was authorized by the UN post-hoc, but it was initially illegal (the action in Iraq at any rate). That's why the NZ government at the time refused to send troops for the invasion, but agreed to send in engineering corps to help clean up your mess and rebuild after the invasion.

:Eye roll:
    Sure it is.

Which counts them as a spin off.
    Spin-off Noun
    A byproduct or incidental result of a larger project.

Yes they were, they were/are direct applications of technology originally developed for the Hubble.

Yes, I'm well aware that occasionally spinoffs of miltary technology occur - one of the most obvious at the moment being the civilian GPS network, but then again, if it was for a spinoff of something that was developed purely for research purposes, we wouldn't be

Yeah, if you're going to make ridiculous, irrelevant statements like this, you could be more specific.
    Are you referring to his ownership of Boffors? Or his invention of Dynamite, Gelignite, and Ballistite?

I'm not wealing out of anything - you're shifting the goalposts.
    I answered your original question, and now you've changed it.

The invasion was illegal, it has since been legalized post hoc.

Nice one Arthur.
    That's some really sweet deductive logic you've got going on there - I question the legality of the invasion of Iraq, and from that you deduce that I would rather have Saddam back.
    WOW! :/
    Dayum, I wish I could think like that. >_>

What's BS Arthur?
    That the Technology used to passively cool the JWST might be useable to keep structures cool in a desert environment?
    That Iraq is mostly desert?
    That employing the JWST heatsheild might be more cost effective than building a/c units in the States, shipping them over to Iraq, paying engineers to install them, and paying for the fuel to run them to be shipped over to Iraq and moved to where it's needed?

Whether or not that CCD technology has continued to develop is irrelevant - as of 2004 (the article I was looking at) the sensors being used were the same as they were in Hubble.
    Whether or not the might have been developed otherwise is also irrelevant - they were developed for Hubble, and then subsequently the technology was co-opted for use elsewhere therefore it remains a valid spinoff of the Hubble Project.

In reference to the Lorad Stereo Guide (tm)
    From a different location:
    Because that's a different question from the one you originally asked.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Other Spinoffs from Hubble:
    Software originally developed to streamline Hubble Observations now used to optimize hospital schedules, resulting in, among other things, an increased number of procedures and decreased overtime.
    Software originally developed for tracking stars adapted to track individual members of endangered species.

And yes, I know these are more benefits from Hubble Technology, rather than Hubbles science mission, but as I've already said, that's not the question you originally asked, it's you moving the goal posts.

14. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Honestly, by Arthur's logic the US government should just stop spending money on science altogether, unless it's needed by Dick Cheney for something. Big Bang Theory? Cosmological anomalies? Let's just freeze all that research for another 20 years, we can create McJobs for all the unemployed scientists in the meantime.

Arthur says Congress would have done the same thing with virtually any program experiencing such cost overruns...

Let's have a glance at the Wikipedia article on the B2 Spirit Bomber:

But whatever, purty space pictures can't be used to kill them Irakians, right?

P.S. Sending or preparing to send humans to Mars would be a vastly bigger waste of money than either the military or the JWST. What practical purpose does it serve to be able to send a dozen humans there who won't even be able to stay supplied over the long term? Their biggest tangible achievement would be the most expensive flag planting ceremony in human history... Yeah that must have taken some real deep thinking there...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  15. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Not really, because I thought I was orginally asking about direct benefits from the Hubble or JWST Science missions.

The question remains what is the DIRECT expected benefit from the JWST Science mission, you know what is it intended to provide us, not what we might luck into?

Arthur

16. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

BS,
    I'm all for the 28 Billion we are giving NASA, NOAA and the NSF.
    You can't take the fact that I think this one over budget behind schedule program that won't launch for 7 years should be cut to imply that I think all space and science research should be cut. Indeed, by cutting the JWST much more money will flow to OTHER NASA science projects which have been hurt by them being bled to feed the JWST debacle.

I said no such thing. Quit lying.

Some think Mars is important, I think it is at least a decade or more away from being even considered as a viable goal and I would be a bigger eventual supporter of going to Mars if the mission was to establish a permanent base.
    In the mean time, I think our learning to be able LIVE and WORK in space is important as well as doing research in microgravity and so I support our current efforts to build and maintain the ISS.

Arthur

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe that this new telescope was to be the new advanced one that will take Hubble's place when it expires within the next 10 years or so. As with Hubble it will be able to find even more things out, for it will be at least 100 times more powerful than Hubble, and give even more information as to how the universe began and new things that are now unknown because we cannot see them well enough. I , for one, wish they would go ahead with this "upgrade" because over three fourths of it has already been built and to see all that go to waste is far worse than going ahead with this project. That's just my 2 cents worth.

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Not really.
    It's not primarily an optical telescope like Hubble.
    It was to operate in the near-infrared and so is really more of a replacement for the Spitzer Space Telescope, and like the Spitzer, being able to keep it cool would determine it's life (JWST had a short planned life of only 5 years) Spitzer lasted 6 years before its liquid helium supply was exhausted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitzer_Space_Telescope

Well less than half the money to build and launch it has been spent, and so cutting it now allows nearly 4 billion dollars to be diverted to other NASA science (which was being hurt because of the black hole that the JWST had become)

Personally I think if the JWST gets cut, they will figure out a much lower cost way to use the hardware they have built. NASA can get resourceful when forced to.

Arthur

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

It's not speculation, the NASA JWST site says it won't launch till 2018 at the earliest. They don't list all the things that have to be done, but clearly there is still a lot of work to be done, nearly $3 Billion in fact to get to launch on the Ariene V (7% launch failures)

No, the Shuttle was also instrumental in the Hubble launch and servicing, but having to keep two Shuttles in flying condition for that much longer would be prohibitively expensive ($500 million per flight now, but for what you are saying the run cost would be substantially higher).

On the other hand, the last Shuttle mission fitted Hubble with a docking adapter that will enable a robotic spacecraft to dock with the telescope and bring it into controlled reentry over the Pacific Ocean, or as some have suggested, if it's still working, instead boost it to a higher orbit.

My guess though is that by the time the robot retriever is expected to visit Hubble (~2015) it will have stop working (gyros, batteries, other?) and so the next time we visit it it will be to bring it back to earth.

Arthur

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

So I guess you DON'T understand what the I in the ISS stands for?

Arthur

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No it's not.
    Advanced CCDs have many earth-bound uses and so they would be developed anyway, Hubble or not.

I wouldn't object to including a serenditious spin-off that would be highly unlikley to occur unless the specific space platform was built.

They also occur, but are less common then mere advances in technology that have many legitimate earth-bound uses.

Arthur

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. And to 90% of the people in the US, an "extra space telescope" is fat.

I know that. But that's not his perspective; he doesn't understand that (just as you don't understand the importance of a strong national defense.)

Who's right? In a democracy, you both are. And thus in a democracy we won't be able to cut spending until you both agree to give up your favorite projects.

Correct! And if you had to cut them all to be able to keep your house, which ones would you hang on to?

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I just hope your right because that's allot of money thrown at the new JWST for nothing if they don't get it piece mealed together. Thanks by the way for letting me about its life expectancy, I read somewhere they will get 10 years not 5 of life expectancy. That is of course it actually gets built and can get into the position in space without a failure of the lift off or wrong placement that sometimes happens.:shrug: