A little help with Deuteronomy 25:11

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Seattle, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Deuteronomy 25:11
    "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

I know this is the inerrant view of God but I'm unsure as to what is being objected to.

If two men are fighting should one's wife not get involved? Is it because she touched one's private parts? Is it a sin to show her pity by not cutting off her hand?

Also, should we assume that the touching of private parts by the wife of one party to an argument was a common occurrence that needed to be stopped for the good of society?

Perhaps it's that she is touching her husband by his private parts rather than the assailant?

I'm not sure why God would get involved in something this specific but I do know that he moves in mysterious ways.

I'm not questioning the inerrancy of this passage but I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

Anyone?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ask an Orthodox Jew. As you may perhaps have noticed, Christian cultures have never followed the rules laid down in the Old Testament. Perhaps you might like to consider why that is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Another option would be to consult a good Bible commentary. Pretty much every Bible passage, and certainly all of the details of the Jewish law, has a huge scholarly literature associated with it.

exchemist likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member