A Plea for Civility

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by orthogonal, Jul 7, 2002.

1. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, convivial.

Great forum name.

Excellent thread to make your first post on.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. convivial Registered Senior Member

Thank you for the very friendly greeting. I named the handle after looking at synonyms of "happy." I'm actually at a low point in my life on the happiness front, so part of the reason I picked it is because it's kind of hard to mope on a forum when my handle is a word with the meaning that it has.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

One day we will know everything.. and the smartest man in the world will say.. you truly can't know of God, or the lack there of with out blind faith.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

What does that have to do with civility?
    Are you posting in the wrong thread?:bugeye:

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

He's posting on the wrong forum altogether.

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Hey conv. And what is really strange is that it took 9 years for someone (badgirl?) to find this not oft quoted adage: "It's just life -- or something like it." My mind is going crazy with numbers here, because WHAT ARE THE ODDS?? Is there a doctor in the house (PhD Math) because I think it's a Poisson Distribution but I wouldn't know where to look for the stats.

So consider this: if I write "globber wocky jot funkster indunhinden Parsival sux mucklucks" I wonder how long before a random match is made? Philosophers, English majors, barflies, anybody, please tell me you have read Jorge de Luis Borges' Library of Babel where he imagines all the permutations of words and one particular book contains all random stuff except on one particular page the phrase "oh time thy pyramids" ..i think translated into something merging Guarani and semitic inflected polish slash turkojapanese or something.

sorry if i wandered from the point. ah, harmony. I say it's a fad. it'll come back. About every 9 years?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Mais naturellement.

Well, actually no.
    The copy I read was by Jorge Luis Borges, do you think the two were related?

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

It was a test! Funny thing I had a friend (south american) whose parents gave "de Borges" as his middle name, and his first was "Jose". It was Brazil, so they pronounce the J (like zh) and it's funny how that stuck in my mind. So dwyd, what's up? I see you all over the place here. Just talkin. Crazy stuff, huh? OK well I'll buzz around. Just lookin for somethin to do besides answer my ex's lawyer. Tchau.