A Test of Special Relativity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by MacM, Jun 14, 2005.

1. MacM Registered Senior Member

Pathetic James R. Don't pretend to be teaching me frames. Just admit that the clocks ACTUALLY will "Mutually Dilate" by the gamma = 1.109 due to their relative velocity to the earth where they were launched and the 0.866c relative velocity (Velocity addition ignored) created by the +0.433c and -0.433c has no affect on the clocks.

I know that is the case but even you you choose to deny that (which it appears you do) then you still have a situation where the relative velocity to earth clock C is then not satisfied by SRT.

SRT fails one or the other. Which do you choose to be the down fall. I don't really care but I prefere we point out the actual dilation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacM Registered Senior Member

Nonsense. "Mutual Dilation" is NOT Reciprocity. Learn something before making such ludricrus statements.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacM Registered Senior Member

I don't see Wesmorris answering the issue. Call me clairvoyant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacM Registered Senior Member

That is right when you can't answer a question just act silly. The problem goes away right?

8. MacM Registered Senior Member

I think you are either lost or are joking. There is no impact on onboard computers since they believe they are at rest. Shsssh. :bugeye:

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Your claim above is correct, but I think it's because you're unwilling or unable to allow any other outcome, from anyone.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

MACM, MACM, CALLING MACM!

PLEASE EDUCATE ME. I HAVE ASKED YOU THREE TIMES TO EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MUTUAL DILATION AND RECIPROCITY!!!

Sorry for the shouting but I think you are not hearing me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  11. Anomalous Banned Banned

I see, So its all man made.

12. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

superluminal,

Like the decay rates of muons would decrease, or atomic clocks would tick slower, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Note the "in their frame" part of the statement above. Boy you guys really are confused.

14. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

superluminal,

If the speed of light is only equal to c relative to a gravitational field, then the time required for an electric field to make a loop in an electric circuit that is moving through the field would decrease. That means that all electronic devices will slow down, even atomic clocks. Do you want me to show you the math?

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

So what? Just because we give the name DOG to certain four legged creatures, does that make the concept of DOG any less valid? It's just a name we give to identify and group a comoving set of coordinates and objects. Anything that moves with a train is in the trains FRAME. Like anything that is on a painting moves along with the FRAME when you move it.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Nah. I already know the math. It's grouped under the names General Relativity and Special Relativity and it describes beautifully all observed phenomena to-date regarding light and mass moving inertially and in gravitational fields. Thanks anyway.

17. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

superluminal,

If that's what you wish. I just wanted to state that the decreased tick rate of clocks moving through gravitational fields (or moving relative to an observer) can be explained using two models:

1) Time dilation from SR.

2) The speed of light (and therefore the speed of the electric field) inside the clock has changed.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

If the speed of light actually changed in the clock, (not the relative dilation of SR) then I believe my previous post would come into play (re odd effects at high speed). If any EM property changed significantly at ANY speed, then this would cause a disaster. Electrons would either fly from their orbitals or implode into the nucleus.

Also, did you know that from Maxwell's equations, you can calculate the speed of light? Just measure the vacuum permeability and permittivity and solve for c. There are no other "speed" factors in these equations and they wonderfully describe all EM phenomena.

Why is everyone so desperate to defend alternate theories (that have zero experimental backing) when none are called for?

19. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

superluminal,

I agree with you that the properties of matter would significantly change if that matter were travelling through a gravitational field and if the speed of light is only equal to c relative to that field. The matter may change shape, or even disintegrate, at relativistic speeds. The only question is what speed would be required for the disastrous consequences you specified to occur?

Using just the properties of air, you can calculate how fast sound will travel through it. That doesn't mean that the speed of sound remains constant for all inertial observers that are moving through the air.

First of all, the same experimental evidence that is used to support SR is the same evidence I use to support my theory. It is possible that the same experimental evidence can support two completely different models, isn't it?

Secondly, my theory is simpler. I just linked gravitational fields with photons. These are two things that already exist, that I just associated. I didn't create any new dimensions or new phenomena (time dilation and length contraction) like SR did. Plus, my theory isn't counterintuitive like SR, and it doesn't have any strange psuedo-real phenomena like time dilation and length contraction. Nor does it require me to change all the fundamental forces that SR has to in order to compensate for length contraction. Are those reasons enough, or do you want more?

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Then your theory is wrong, as compared to what nature really does. Time does dilate and length does contract, both as demonstrated by cosmic ray induced muon measurements and particle accelerator experiments and astronomical observations. And time also dilates mutually (muon scattering experiments).

I'm not sure how you support your ideas of "relative to a particular gravity field". Light (radio, infrared, visible, uv, x-rays...) travels to us from all over the universe, through all kinds of gravity fields and shows no unexplained behavior.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes it does. An inertial observer carries his air with him otherwise he would not be inertial wrt the air. Trivial, but, whatever...

22. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

But you of course, are Mr. Objectivity, completely willing to see the other point of view?
    Geistkiesel

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I'm willing, yes.