Addictive Behaviour Patterns & short attention spans

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by RainbowSingularity, Jul 28, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

its a thing

seems to be quite a thing in the usa(opioid crisis) and most other cultures

how can CBT deliver a better non drug outcome to reduce Substance addition triggered through addictive behaviour patterns that culture behaviour models with attention span mediation & human behaviour models ?

questions(intelligent ones) and discussion welcomed and requested.

associated sub-topics
    ADD
    ADHD
    OCD
    Autism spectrum (behavioural)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It seems that what you really want is to tell "us" how CBT can help those problems without medication rather than asking "us".

You haven't even mentioned what CBT is (Cognitive Behavior Therapy).

Are you waiting for mental health professionals to respond?

I take it that you have something to share that is beyond and above what the description of CBT implies?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

if you do not know what CBT is then you have no place in this thread.
    your out of your depth and trolling

your tone is clearly condescending
    maybe you want me to hate you.
    that seems to be what your driving at.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You seem to be awfully touchy for a public discussion forum and on a topic where no one has responded.

You haven't really asked a question. Do we have a lot of mental health experts on here? Clearly you're not one given your responses.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If I attend the word, "better", a question remains toward what that means, not simply in terms of general efficacy or optimization, but, and more importantly, particular outcomes.

Because after that, the next point to make is that such arts and sciences need to get better. Generally speaking, most program-package therapies—all requiring flexibility toward customization within their immediate circumstance, and many even proposing scalability in application—tend to view the behavioral economies they address far too simplistically.

In another context of psychoanalysis, I was recently chuckling to myself about an old cartoon, I think from the Lantz set, in which the protagonist gives a parent a book simply titled, Child Psychology. Opening the book, the parent finds the pages cut out to hold a broad-paddle, steel-tined hairbrush, which is then used to beat the child. On camera. And it's supposed to be funny.

Around my area, one of the most enduring and effective addiction treatment centers is famous for being rather direct about its negative reinforcement.

Rigidity of cognitive conditioning is also really, really important, and I think of a society demanding, ever greater either fragmentation or overlap of attention spans, and increasing multivalence in function, yet ossification of behavioral expectation and goal assessment only reinforced demand for nearly, if not outright, impossible requisites.

I can't put a proper boundary or shape on the notion, but there are visceral moments, when one actually, behaviorally, lets go of something, and it is different from trying to intellectualize or even accept the outcome; one example would be the number of occasions and ways in which it keeps occurring to someone that the mere pursuit of Zen is preclusive, all the way down to even attending the word itself disrupting and preventing the state from occurring. Observe the contrast of conscious observance and living praxis. Consider Christians and questions of what God wants, or what Jesus would do; this is conscious observance. Those times when the kindness just comes out because that's what human beings do, those hint after and look more like living praxis; consider that in willful redemptive schemes, God knows when people are deciding according to a conscious question of what they think God wants.

Now, here's one: Every time you encounter information about psychology that is in any way new, the psychoanalysis of how you think also changes. Instantly, utterly, inherently.

I think of the first time I learned to consider human behavior in a zoological context; later, as behavioral economics solidified into a recognized discipline, merely observing how simple some decision structures could be in order to effect dramatic results in a population was utterly rattling.

Right now, the best of this research remains with marketing and advertising, both commercial and political. While manipulative marketing is nothing new in politics, it's true 2016 was a powerfully demonstrative year. Recent updates to user interfaces at Netflix and Twitter, alike, for instance, are clearly designed to limit and shape information access and, thereby, consumer behavior. They're hardly the only ones; a couple years ago, the trendy trick was to alter conditioned interface behavior in order that common actions result in different results intended to promote new products. The filthy secret, of course, is no secret: The greatest wealth of behavioral research in the free world is generally used to harm people. There is a reason the internet looks, clicks, swipes, and taps the way it does. Consider Fischer↱, in 2017, on, "The death of the click", and consider it's not entirely irrelevant to remind, hey, remember when fake-autoplay clickbait became a website design trend. The death of the click as an analytical metric meant, per the Axios article, "Marketers are starting to attribute marketing success towards content exposure that drives you to click something, instead of the click itself."

That is simply a blatant example.

Meanwhile, consider that one need not know they are learning something about psychology and behavior; it could be subtly laced through the anthropology that is deeply buried in what reader and writer alike would describe as history.

Trying to tack back toward cognitive behavioral therapy in and of itself, it's also true I don't really know the state of the field, right now. A looming question has something to do with how fixed or dynamic are the baseline behavioral presuppositions describing the patient, subject, client, &c.? What of the decision trees describing expectations of both therapist and patient; how many layers, variations, or even dimensions, and what are the particular relationships between them?

I'm of the belief that conditioning can only accomplish so much, especially accounting for the listed associated factors, which I would colloquially describe as noisy cognitive and behavioral disruption; to wit, if there is a lot of noise inside someone's thoughts, and we expect them to respond as if there wasn't, we're going about it wrongly. At the same time, trying to account for all of the noise vectors, and attend the perpetual dynamism of a moment unfixed and thus ceaseless, really does sound like a complicated proposition.

How much will be oriented toward settling the behavior, compared to what should be given toward reorienting the behavior itself. The thing is that while all solutions are imperfect, the better way to say it is that there are no absolute solutions; and if the applied therapy reorients the behavior without settling its pathology, the thereapeutic solution is held in place by a neurotic structure easily capable of fracturing, rupturing, or collapsing.

This sort of granularity is problematic, but still: If, for attention span or other noise-distraction dysfunction, one can easily be dislodged from addiction-disruption therapeutic behavior, conditioning, and results, it becomes really easy to suggest we revisit the presuppositions. That doesn't mean I can enumerate them, though.

And I know this part sounds silly, but there's a bit in my Twitter feed a few days back about the word "quite", and apparently it can cause contentious misunderstanding between Americans and those subjects of the British crown who we apparently confuse. I really haven't bothered looking it up more specifically because, really, if it's true, it will find its way to me again. But it does remind, in a strange way: What if the basic language of a given therapeutic approach toward just doesn't work in the context of an attention, signal-noise, or autism spectrum disorder?

Diversity and dynamism. I don't know the current cognitive-behavioral generalization about behavioral presuppositions at the heart of my most obvious questions. Still, if I say, for instance, that we can't "Dr. Phil" everyone back to function and expect it to work, sure, that's kind of blatant in its own right, but we might, as a more practical example, wonder if a given therapist is either failing or refusing to find communicative grounds by which the patient will actually trust therapist and, thereby, therapy.

Compared to your question, there is probably a lot that I'm missing.

Notes:

Fischer, Sara. "The Death of the Click". Axios. 20 February 2017. Axios.com. 28 July 2019. http://bit.ly/2mgSlwK

Quantum Quack likes this.
  9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Do you think? Like, the whole question.

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

The behaviour is a behaviour of there desire to not have behaviours....

i was attempting to do some reading yesterday on the below...
    Bipolar medication
    Kindling
    Epilepsy
    Does Bi-polar medication cause epilepsy ?
    does Kindling cause drug resistance/hypers sensitivity / cause ticks/epilepsy

Bi-polar late on set female Kindling to sudden mania post partum

i was made clearly aware of the lack of ability to get results on the actual questions i was posting in google.
    it appears some companys are manipulating search results in margins that excludes all other content by bulk results.
    many have hit words to then cross relate to a different subject that sells their own opinion on something else.

admittedly the subject i was attempting to read on is not only quite specialized but also quite inflammatory in the public domain.

CBT & Kindling and the new Age multi-individualist Praxis (to use your word) [tounge in cheek] "Cappuccino Praxis?" lol

i have been quietly observing this in behavioural modelling by early childhood teachers & parents.
    comparing their technique to 10 year old schooling it is quite manic & bi-polar, almost psychoopathic.

i was having a bit of a wee epiphany yesterday about the malaise of interdependent sociopothy & individuation in developmental stages(early childhood, formative adult relationship/domestic)

contemplating the blood brain barrier to 'Lymbic' group behavioural modality associated with self motivation vs group compliance as a bio-chemical absolute through kindling to trigger escalate bi-polar/serious drug addiction(i did wonder how confusing the difference must be en-mass comparing the massive opioid issue with potential un-diagnosed mental illness[slightly different subject]).

... the master artist at work ...

therapeutic
    developmental
    associative behavioural dependency
    addictive/repetitive/ocd behavioural etc etc ...

interesting reading patients describe a near godly experience when they find themselves feeling understood for the first time by a psychiatrist/psychologist.

lol how apt
    yesterday i was faced with just the thing
    ... for the 2nd time
    an encounter with a person whom another had picked up on as having a bit of mental discordance which i noted.
    the following day i engaged with some light emotionally colloquial conversation and they almost switched off.
    their mind was trying to yell over the top of the noise.

it is very interesting interacting with people whom are struggling to cope on different levels, as all people do from time to time, i wonder how much the "noise" has become the new normal as something that must be fought against rather than let go.

there is a definite difference in dealing with it and manifesting it as a generational process of evolutionary intellectual emotional development.

i am starting to read again on some topics and find most information seems to be at-least 10 years old if not 15 years old.

where did all those massive pharma profits go ?

longitudinally drug resistance and hyper sensitivity to medications via developmental factors (e.g autism and allergy's) sitting on the back of the wave means you will arrive when the majority have been wiped out by the front of the wave.

deliberately confused by many to mix nurture Vs nature false flag game of bi-partisan control ?

... in marches the modern marketing machine ready to turn that process into a click bait cash siphoning process.

i have been playing around with this for a few years now

the differences between pre-loaded conditioned responses and emotional conditioning, custom & social etiquette seems to jump out quite significantly.

this i have been pondering around the difference between "noise" and behavioral(able to be addressed with CBT to deliver reduced suicide) via depression & what i have recently been pondering "late on set" in some form of process(maybe a variation in modern lifes mid life crisis with kindling).

it seems the behavioural centres are dominant so sign language facial expressions and body language used as a precise language can translate faster and more non confrontationally than linguistics.
    however, pre-loaded emotional dysfunction as an emotional discordance is highly combative.
    engaging in the familiarized linguistic combat is the fastest way to deescalate so it appears.(99% art) de-escalate via over stimulation avoiding the rage response is a tricky line more so when there are others expressing their egos and emotions to push or pull others in the immediate environment.
    on point autism...
    primary behavioural familiars become far more critical in their emotional coping to model non combative psychological environments.

... quite.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the subject is soo vast with soo many different levels.
    sociology Vs best outcome for the patient etc etc et-all

i see a unique opportunity in the usa with such great patient access with combined modern technical pharmaceutical access to engage with difficult issues mixing together, PTSD Opioid Addiction, Kindling(pharma & behavioural)

i feel a sense of a growing light coming to the nature of aspects around issues like Bi-polar disorder as a leading edge toward both sides of the tool box, CBT & Pharmaceuticals.
    it is now around 15 years since the larger scale roll out of the more modern anti psychotic medications and i am wondering if there is headway being made moving away from the older drastic lithium type drugs, the combined CBT and how that interacts with the massive USA suicide via Opioids epidemic..

would it be fair to say the usa is in the midst of a suicide epidemic ?
    i think so.
    i doubt the political machinery wish to stand still long enough for someone to finish a sentence with the words in.